Terry Bly: The Modest Marksman (1 Viewer)

alfieph

Hi fellas,

Just thought some of you might be interested in this piece on former Sky Blues striker Terry Bly. Not sure how many of you will remember/have heard of Bly but he signed for Coventry from Peterborough, where he had set the record for the most goals in a single Football League season, 52, a record which still stands to this day.

He joined Coventry amid the 'Sky Blue Revolution' in 1962 but was allowed to leave the club after just a single season, despite having scored 25 goals in 32, much to the anger of many Coventry fans.

Anyway, for those of you who are interested, the article is here:

http://ahalftimereport.com/2015/07/13/terry-bly-the-modest-marksman/

Cheers.

oldfiver

Hi fellas,

Just thought some of you might be interested in this piece on former Sky Blues striker Terry Bly. Not sure how many of you will remember/have heard of Bly but he signed for Coventry from Peterborough, where he had set the record for the most goals in a single Football League season, 52, a record which still stands to this day.

He joined Coventry amid the 'Sky Blue Revolution' in 1962 but was allowed to leave the club after just a single season, despite having scored 25 goals in 32, much to the anger of many Coventry fans.

Anyway, for those of you who are interested, the article is here:

http://ahalftimereport.com/2015/07/13/terry-bly-the-modest-marksman/

Cheers.

Boxing day 1962 Peterborough 0 - City 3
Bly scored twice against former club

Showing my age but .... was there!

GK Bob Wesson Defender Brian Hill
Defender Mick Kearns
Defender/Full back John Sillett
Centre half George Curtis
Wing half Ron Farmer
Outside right Billy Humphries
Centre forward Terry Bly
Winger Ronnie Rees
Inside forward Jimmy Whitehouse
Inside forward Ken Hale

Citysince47

Remember him well. like a lot of fans at the time I thought JH was mad in letting him go. But his replacement (George Hudson)turned out to be the best goal scoring centre forward the City have ever had since the one and only Clarrie Bourton.

rupert_bear

When we bought Terry Bly for a club record £10000 it was our equivilent of signing Aguero or Wayne Rooney and he delivered, spearheaded our cup run to the quarter-finals scoring 25 goals in 32 games gave us the lead against Manchester United then suddenly dropped for new signing George Hudson who also became an instant hit. Bly and Hudson played together for us just once at Bristol Rovers and Bly scored in a 2-2 draw but never played for us again and JH shrewdly sold him for £13000 but Bly was never the same player again. But he was my first footballing hero to wear the sky blue

Last edited:

Hobo

Heard a lot about him, but just before my time.

bringbackrattles

I started my support of the Sky Blues when Hudson was our top striker so just missed Bly,but my dad told me how good he was.Jimmy Hill got some stick for getting rid of Bly for the Hud but it turned out right in the end.

skybluealan

Bly was a great player fantastic goal scorer, but like everybody who saw Bly then Hudson, Hudson was easily the best center forward Coventry have had right up to today.

blueflint

was a true centre forward of the old school good in the air as well as scoring with both feet i liked him

rupert_bear

Terry Bly had a thunderbolt shot, either foot and when playing that quarter final against Manchester United in the second half at 1-1 Bly hit a blaster that smashed the bar, some say it went in, hit the stancheon and came out so who knows what might have happened had that gone in.

alfieph

Thanks for posting. A good article that brings back the memories.

Cheers. Glad you all enjoyed the article.

Best of luck for next season, you've got yourself a model pro and a very good player at that level in Sam Ricketts, as long as he can stay fit.

Users who are viewing this thread