Terms of lease (4 Viewers)

Ashdown

Italiahorse is right in pointing out the vultures are out there.
Coventry City are in a desperate situation and we all know what could happen in the future. This is not new, this is predictable and probable.
The owners are idiots but not fools, they know that keeping the club as a going concern keeps them in the game with their investors in the dark.
The real story here is not the academy or where we play but what is the exit strategy of Sisu and that is what is baffling.
They prolong our agony and what is in it for them?
Are they hoping the JR2 goes their way? Yes.
Are they hoping that the team will go through the leagues and reach the premier league and its riches? Can the club unearth a talent that will take the pain away? Unlikely they are that unrealistic.
Wasps, a new ground is wishful thinking, speculation without foundation.
The only thing that is certain is that the club is dying and no amount of if's buts or maybes will change that. It's contracted down to a mere shell and L2 status will only lead to more squeezing.
The owners are in the driving seat and as much as the fans dislike that, the club is theirs do with as they please until they say otherwise.
We are at their mercy and no amount of accounts threads, Slade out threads or Fisher forums held, are going to change that.
We need to plan for a post Sisu world, unsure of what it looks like, be ready to assist in picking up the pieces.
We need fans who can see past the apocalypse and have planned for that scenario. Contingency plans that involve interested parties which could be the council, Wasps, Elliott, Hoffman, fans groups, anybody who can assist the club to stand up after Sisu.
Essentially all true but fans can possibly control one thing and that's the timing of our demise by not providing anymore funding to this sham next season, forcing us to stand out even to those muppets at the football league as a possible club 'not to be able to complete the season'. That way they have to act before the season starts ?!

Suffolk sky blues

The only 2 bits that don't add up is why didn't we sell our players at Christmas & wasps must think we could have another 250,000 people per year going to the ground.

skyblueinBaku

As for the 'Land Rover' sponsorship I stick with it until proven wrong.
Unfortunately it's delayed, I'm reliably informed, until CCFC are sorted. The uncertainty of CCFC not being here long term effects the deal politically and financially.
In that case, isn't it in Wasps' interest to continue talks with CCFC about extending the Ricoh agreement, and stop this ludicrous 'no talks while the JR is being persued' stance?

ceetee

Since that sponsorship, or at least the level of that sponsorship, is dependant on CCFC playing at the RIcoh, then surely CCFC deserve a share of it.

italiahorse

In that case, isn't it in Wasps' interest to continue talks with CCFC about extending the Ricoh agreement, and stop this ludicrous 'no talks while the JR is being persued' stance?
While the Court battles continue CCFC won't be able to commit medium or long term.
As far as I am aware CCFC are 'still' looking for a stadium/training/academy site.

Keeping it simple.
If long term sponsors want the details of what teams will be at the "New Sponsor Stadium" for the next 5-10 years, Wasps won't be able to answer.
In addition new sponsors won't want to be linked with the demise/eviction of CCFC.

italiahorse

Since that sponsorship, or at least the level of that sponsorship, is dependant on CCFC playing at the RIcoh, then surely CCFC deserve a share of it.
Strongly agree. But it's all part of any long term deal, with substantial increases for the higher level of exposure should we go up the leagues.

Sick Boy

I thought that the franchise were top of the league? Goes to show that football and CCFC will always be a much bigger draw than them.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
there is a slightly different interpretation you could put on the stadium sponsorship

The potential sponsors are waiting not for CCFC to be sorted but for CCFC to be gone before investing, to avoid a blight on their brand. Not all sponsors are football orientated

as for not selling players well the next transfer window opens in July so any sales will help mitigate a fall in ST income 2017/18 and mean there is an SCMP budget for next season

Sick Boy

there is a slightly different interpretation you could put on the stadium sponsorship

The potential sponsors are waiting not for CCFC to be sorted but for CCFC to be gone before investing, to avoid a blight on their brand. Not all sponsors are football orientated

as for not selling players well the next transfer window opens in July so any sales will help mitigate a fall in ST income 2017/18 and mean there is an SCMP budget for next season

I prefer my way. ;)

idm1975

If wasps want to be so entrenched in the community why are they not changing their name to "coventry wasps"?

stupot07

As it stands Wasps are putting pressure on CCFC by refusing to talk and winding the clock down , its a negotiating position aimed at CCFC/Otium/SISU. I do not see the panic on this just yet that is being stirred up

Completely agree, someone's got an agenda, there are more pressing issues like the future of the academy.

This is all brinkmanship, a deal, albeit probably a short term one, will get sorted nearer the time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

Like Wasps, CCC are just sitting back and watching CCFC self destruct.
Mark my previous words, when CCFC folds Wasps will just buy the name and be seen as saviors of the club and enable them to cut CCFC costs with shared facilities.
Fans expectations will be rock bottom by then so Wasps will have a few years of grace before fans expect more.

If your beloved London Wasps picked up the football club what do you think they could do with it? The fan base is destroyed and nothing says people will go back if they are the owners and they don't seem to have the finance to control a team anywhere above league one have you seen the kind of money Forest and other teams up there are losing.

italiahorse

If your beloved London Wasps picked up the football club what do you think they could do with it? The fan base is destroyed and nothing says people will go back if they are the owners and they don't seem to have the finance to control a team anywhere above league one have you seen the kind of money Forest and other teams up there are losing.
That's what I said at the end.

Hobo

So is in the contract with the council?
The contract CCFC have with Wasps. And why will public opinion always favour Wasps?

Terry Gibson's perm

That's what I said at the end.

So no benefit in them owning us as they will just try to tread water I think another company has tried that are where has it got us? I would rather move to Nuneaton under new owners than be under their control at the Ricoh.

italiahorse

So no benefit in them owning us as they will just try to tread water I think another company has tried that are where has it got us? I would rather move to Nuneaton under new owners than be under their control at the Ricoh.
It will be more like moving to Nuneaton under current owners.

clint van damme

Do you have a Google Alert setup when something negative is posted on here about the franchise? You're majorly deluded, there would nothing in them buying in the club and they would rather see us go out of business.

While I agree with your general take on wasps I'm not so sure they would want to see us go out of business. They are struggling themselves at the moment so surely they wouldn't want to lose what they make on rent, parking and F&B. It may not be a massive amount but with losses of over a million in the last year and the bond payments looming surely every little counts?
I'm a complete layman when it comes to the financial side of business so I could be way off the mark.

clint van damme

I cannot believe SISU do not have an exit strategy even if it is unpalatable for them... but

Winding down the current agreements at the end of next season kind of makes sense as there could be wholesale upheaval at that time with those contracts needing to be renewed or re-negotiated. No penalties for ending early etc.. I would certainly get all aspects aligned in that manner.

JR2 is the most likely the last stand for CCFC/Otium/SISU and that said given that they are most likely to seek damages isn't it in their interest to create the narrative and a balance sheet that will show a severely distressed CCFC , with no home, training facility , academy etc... all at the hands of others.

I actually think they don't. I think they have a couple of half arsed ideas of how to get rid of the club and I agree with your second paragraph. But I honestly believe they have got themselves into a real mess, made mistake after mistake and really don't know for sure how to get themselves out of it.

Terry Gibson's perm

If fans are happy with that then they deserve the club they get.

I am finished while sisu are here and will come back straight away under new owners but if it is Wasps then I won't come back they offer no more than Sisu we need massive investment that is not something they can supply. They should stick to massive worldwide sports like Rugby and netball.

italiahorse

I am finished while sisu are here and will come back straight away under new owners but if it is Wasps then I won't come back they offer no more than Sisu we need massive investment that is not something they can supply. They should stick to massive worldwide sports like Rugby and netball.
Surely they offer us a shared stadium and academy plus financial improvements through economies of scale ?
You are right though in respect of not being able to meet fans expectations but we will be so 'down and out' that they will have a few years of grace.
I would say there is more chance than ever of some 'Chinese billionaire' coming in for a CCFC/Wasps/Ricoh package ?
A couple more years before and change will happen though.

italiahorse

If wasps want to be so entrenched in the community why are they not changing their name to "coventry wasps"?
They need to maintain a UK brand. Calling themselves Coventry Wasps would upset current fans that remain loyal despite moving and also restrict new supporters.
Their target area appears to be Warwickshire, West Midlands and other surrounding areas like Shropshire and Staffordshire.
Strangely I see Leicester fans and Worcester fans on occasions.

idm1975

They need to maintain a UK brand. Calling themselves Coventry Wasps would upset current fans that remain loyal despite moving and also restrict new supporters.
Their target area appears to be Warwickshire, West Midlands and other surrounding areas like Shropshire and Staffordshire.
Strangely I see Leicester fans and Worcester fans on occasions.
Wasps is their brand and Coventry is where they have decided to play for the next few years. If they call themselves Coventry wasps it puts down roots and would prob help them why would they not want to do this??

italiahorse

Wasps is their brand and Coventry is where they have decided to play for the next few years. If they call themselves Coventry wasps it puts down roots and would prob help them why would they not want to do this??
Read what I said regards calling themselves 'Coventry Wasps' where it would alienate most the current supporters who are outside Coventry, including myself.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
The official name might have been London Wasps but they were mainly referred to as Wasps as far as I can remember

There isn't much evidence to show that they are struggling in putting down their roots in the area. Which is bad news for CCFC

Having only just changed (2014/15 season) to Wasps as the official name then I doubt a further name change would happen again any time soon and give it a couple more years and their roots will be even stronger in the local area so the need to change the name will be even less.

In any case their outlook in terms of attracting support is more than just Coventry, so in marketing terms putting the City's name in the title could be seen as restrictive

That all said, this is a thread about CCFC and the right to play at the Ricoh isn't it not the branding of Wasps ?

Users who are viewing this thread