Television - Turn Off or Turn On ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

My step daughter hasn't had a TV for 15 years, saying she hates it and its a negative and bad for mental health. I told her I still watch the telly but can go without it for days. Just watch things of interest like sport, documentaries, and wildlife programmes. But she has had depression on and off for years but says getting rid of her telly has helped ease her depression. To be honest never gave it much thought, do you think television is a good or bad thing ?

Nick

Administrator
I guess it depends what you watch and what your other options are.

Lockdown for example, I wouldn't fancy looking out the window for hours.

Marty

I don't watch TV really, maybe 2 hours a week, I find its mostly crap, find stuff like EastEnders and coronation Street tedious as fuck. I do play video games,listen to music and read and look after the garden and try to keep active, each to their own though, but I can't do it.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

BBC 1 from 4pm until 6.30pm is bloody awful.

Gazolba

A couple of months ago I stopped watching TV almost completely. Did not watch anything for about 2 months.
Mostly watched Youtube videos instead.
Then after a recent eye surgery, all I felt like doing was sitting down in the living room.
So I camped out in front of the TV and was glued to it for around 5 days straight.
I could not believe how bad it was!. And the idiotic commercials, the same ones over and over again!
I eventually settled on a channel called HGTV (Home and Garden TV) that showed a series of programs about people searching for homes and then having them remodelled.
Another program I like is called 'Forensic Files', about murders that are solved using forensic science.
When I fiully recover from my surgeries, I think I'm going to terminate my TV service completely. It will save me a lot of money every month.
The only thing I will truly miss are the World Cups and Euros tournaments.
But I expect the highlights to be on Youtube a day or two after each game.

bringbackrattles

A couple of months ago I stopped watching TV almost completely. Did not watch anything for about 2 months.
Mostly watched Youtube videos instead.
Then after a recent eye surgery, all I felt like doing was sitting down in the living room.
So I camped out in front of the TV and was glued to it for around 5 days straight.
I could not believe how bad it was!. And the idiotic commercials, the same ones over and over again!
I eventually settled on a channel called HGTV (Home and Garden TV) that showed a series of programs about people searching for homes and then having them remodelled.
Another program I like is called 'Forensic Files', about murders that are solved using forensic science.
When I fiully recover from my surgeries, I think I'm going to terminate my TV service completely. It will save me a lot of money every month.
The only thing I will truly miss are the World Cups and Euros tournaments.
But I expect the highlights to be on Youtube a day or two after each game.
My stepdaughter watches stuff on her laptop like YouTube. So it's still visual if I'm being picky. But whatever helps with her depression I'm happy with.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It can be good if you stick to stuff you enjoy. For me it's comedy, sports, documentaries and wildlife/gardening along with the odd bit of news. Don't watch the rest. Like the internet/social media really - if it's making you unhappy don't look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread