Telegraphs Boot Room Section… (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueRuffian

…why have they drawn on past tales of the crazy gang and co, when we are playing the newly formed AFC Wimbledon tonight?

Surely that history belongs to MK Dons? Even though what happened was a disgrace AFC Wimbledon's history starts in 2002 when they formed?

torchomatic

skybluetony176

No it's not. They are two totally different clubs.

so is the original wimbledon from plough lane and mk "dons", only an idiot would think otherwise.

football teams like wimbledon and coventry are not followed by glory boys they belong to the community they sit in.

skybluelee

…why have they drawn on past tales of the crazy gang and co, when we are playing the newly formed AFC Wimbledon tonight?

Surely that history belongs to MK Dons? Even though what happened was a disgrace AFC Wimbledon's history starts in 2002 when they formed?

No, MK Dons have never laid any claim to Wimbledon's history. Everybody regards Wimbledon/AFC Wimbledon as essentially the same club. Just as we would regard AFC Coventry as the same club if SISU killed our club. And Rangers, Chester etc etc etc

Captain Dart

How long will it be before MK drop their misappropriated nickname of 'Dons' .. they'd be better to be honest & call themselves "The francisers" (well OK, I jest but anyway something that is not a reminder of their inauspicious beginnings)

fernandopartridge

How long will it be before MK drop their misappropriated nickname of 'Dons' .. they'd be better to be honest & call themselves "The francisers" (well OK, I jest but anyway something that is not a reminder of their inauspicious beginnings)

I think it's happening subtly. I have heard them referred to as just 'Milton Keynes' and conversely AFC Wimbledon are more widely referred to as 'Wimbledon'.

covcity4life

the heart and soul of the old dons is with afc Wimbledon

if you dont recognise that you are not a football fan imo

torchomatic

I know I was telling YOU that! Sheesh.... I was saying it's NOTHING like the FA Cup belonging to Northampton. Only a complete idiot would suggest such a thing.

Oh, wait a minute....

so is the original wimbledon from plough lane and mk "dons", only an idiot would think otherwise.

football teams like wimbledon and coventry are not followed by glory boys they belong to the community they sit in.

skybluetony176

I know I was telling YOU that! Sheesh.... I was saying it's NOTHING like the FA Cup belonging to Northampton. Only a complete idiot would suggest such a thing.

Oh, wait a minute....

so you are agreeing with my original post then, when i said it would be like saying our FA cup win belongs to northampton. it just that you seemed to dispute that.

hill83

so you are agreeing with my original post then, when i said it would be like saying our FA cup win belongs to northampton. it just that you seemed to dispute that.

Fucking hell, you are stupid.

He is saying the comparison to our situation and the MK Dons/AFC Wimbledon situation isn't there. The comparison that you brought up.

hill83

But anyway, in response to the opening post. The history clearly belongs to AFC Wimbledon, not just because MK Dons don't claim the history, but because they are a totally different club. AFC Wimbledon are the true Wimbledon.

kg82

How long before AFC Wimbledon can officially be known as Wimbledon, if ever? I only ask because of Fiorentina. Went out of business and were called Fior Viola (or something like that) for a few years, but have been called Fiorentina again for a while now.

covcity4life

How long before AFC Wimbledon can officially be known as Wimbledon, if ever? I only ask because of Fiorentina. Went out of business and were called Fior Viola (or something like that) for a few years, but have been called Fiorentina again for a while now.

great point

fiorentina were able to buy back name,badge and kit colour just 1 year later and are now one of the top teams to watch in europe.

it would be nice if afc were given name.badge back one day.

WillieStanley

I'll never forget my horror when that MK fan came on here last year with the username "MK Womble" or something like that. Talk about salt in the wound.

Interestingly, though, about a month ago, I was talking to someone who was involved in the foundation of AFC at a conference. He was going through that dark time for their fans and in terms of the divisiveness of such a plight, it was very similar to what we've been going through - with the term scabs being thrown around etc. Maybe our division isn't unique - although it feels the pits - we should be so hard on ourselves for it as something devastating has happened to something we are deeply passionate about that goes back generations. It's natural we should have strong opinions. I still think it should stop though.

bigfatronssba

I think I seen somewhere that they could drop the AFC now if they wanted. However many of their fans like the AFC prefix, their accepted meaning of it is A Fans Club.

skybluetony176

Fucking hell, you are stupid.

He is saying the comparison to our situation and the MK Dons/AFC Wimbledon situation isn't there. The comparison that you brought up.

FA Cup giant killers CCFC ground sharing at sixfields while their home ground sits empty in the city they belong too

FA Cup giant killers Wimbledon ground shared at Selhurst Park while their home ground stood empty in the borough they belonged too

that sound's like a good comparison to me. its just the end of our story that's not known at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread