Telegraph (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Why to posters on this thread seem so shocked? Granted the CT are incredibly one sided but when there's hardly been much love lost between themselves and CCFC throughout the years, their attitude towards the club is obviously going to influence their content - and it I think it's apparent that it has done for a while now.

Obviously it's far from ideal but it's also not all that surprising, especially when the club and the CT have had a strained relationship for years. Prime example I remember speaking to Boddy at the end of season awards a couple of years ago and he admitted Robins detested Andy Turner went through stages of refusing to speak to him at the time. Granted I think he's changed his position since but that still doesn't exactly bode well.

Also it may be a factor, it may not, but Wasps regularly sponsor their business awards, so again, IMO it's not all that surprising where their loyalties lie and probably why Wasps receive full page spreads for stringing a couple of wins together.

No. PR is a myth and everyone hates us because they’re big meanies.

Nick

Administrator
Why to posters on this thread seem so shocked? Granted the CT are incredibly one sided but when there's hardly been much love lost between themselves and CCFC throughout the years, their attitude towards the club is obviously going to influence their content - and it I think it's apparent that it has done for a while now.

Obviously it's far from ideal but it's also not all that surprising, especially when the club and the CT have had a strained relationship for years. Prime example I remember speaking to Boddy at the end of season awards a couple of years ago and he admitted Robins detested Andy Turner went through stages of refusing to speak to him at the time. Granted I think he's changed his position since but that still doesn't exactly bode well.

Also it may be a factor, it may not, but Wasps regularly sponsor their business awards, so again, IMO it's not all that surprising where their loyalties lie and probably why Wasps receive full page spreads for stringing a couple of wins together.

Is it not a sign if they aren't really liked? Why would the club love them when they constantly try to spin things and stir things up but jump on the bandwagon when we do well?

It's probably nothing to do with the gifts that Wasps give people at the Telegraph, that doesn't alter their thinking either.

Ideally, the club would fuck the Telegraph off regardless of where we play and which league. Even players have pointed out their dislike about them in the past.

Nick

Administrator
No. PR is a myth and everyone hates us because they’re big meanies.

Funny really, you tried to make something up about me getting freebies to use against me.

Yet when a journalist gets freebies and spins the shit out of things for Wasps it's just PR?

SkyBlueCRJ

Is it not a sign if they aren't really liked?

It's probably nothing to do with the gifts that Wasps give people at the Telegraph, that doesn't alter their thinking either.

Ideally, the club would fuck the Telegraph off regardless of where we play and which league. Even players have pointed out their dislike about them in the past.

I've heard they do have a pretty good relationship and realistically why wouldn't they?

That's your opinion, but I personally disagree as from a commercial perspective I just don't see how it couldn't have a baring on their relationship/the amount of positive coverage they receive. Especially given the amount of support they do give to the CT.

There's pros and cons for keeping them onside / sacking them off. Personally I'm leaning more towards keeping them onside as otherwise they'll have even more of a free reign on what they publish and that would just serve to mislead fans further.

Like you said, despite the rubbish they churn out, many people take what the CT publish as gospel. So as a result I personally think it's a bit dangerous to make an enemy out of them.

Nick

Administrator
I've heard they do have a pretty good relationship and realistically why wouldn't they?

That's your opinion, but I personally disagree as from a commercial perspective I just don't see how it couldn't have a baring on their relationship/the amount of positive coverage they receive. Especially given the amount of support they do give to the CT.

There's pros and cons for keeping them onside / sacking them off. Personally I'm leaning more towards keeping them onside as otherwise they'll have even more of a free reign on what they publish and that would just serve to mislead fans further.

Like you said, despite the rubbish they churn out, many people take what the CT publish as gospel. So as a result I personally think it's a bit dangerous to make an enemy out of them.

There was Marc McNulty having a go at them and Reda Johnson didn't seem to like Andy Turner did he?

They don't support the local football club (not the owners) like you see other local papers doing where they seem to be passionate about the club. (not the owners).

They clearly mislead people purposely when it comes to CCFC and then again when it comes to Wasps. What's the point? That's not the purpose of a local newspaper, they aren't giving news.

SBAndy

There was Marc McNulty having a go at them and Reda Johnson didn't seem to like Andy Turner did he?

They don't support the local football club (not the owners) like you see other local papers doing where they seem to be passionate about the club.

Which is odd really as Andy Turner is a massive fan of the club. A lot of me wonders what constraints he has to work by within the organisation.

Remind me, what was this piece about McNulty having a go?

Liquid Gold

All you need to know about the politics of the rag is that they tried to shut Les Reid up when he didn't agree with them completely, when he kept his journalistic integrity they sacked him and then had to settle out of court as their lawyers didn't think they had a leg to stand on. Simon Gilbert then took his job and proceeded to write a load of bollocks biased against the club at any opportunity.

Nick

Administrator
Which is odd really as Andy Turner is a massive fan of the club. A lot of me wonders what constraints he has to work by within the organisation.

Remind me, what was this piece about McNulty having a go?

Yeah it could well be the powers above that restrict him.

If I remember, wasn't it the Telegraph saying he was lucky that he scored so many goals or something and he didn't appreciate it?

Liquid Gold

Reda-Johnson-tweet.jpg

Nick

Administrator
All you need to know about the politics of the rag is that they tried to shut Les Reid up when he didn't agree with them completely, when he kept his journalistic integrity they sacked him and then had to settle out of court as their lawyers didn't think they had a leg to stand on. Simon Gilbert then took his job and proceeded to write a load of bollocks biased against the club at any opportunity.

There is that as well.

Not to mention when you had a very strange account that commented on all of Gilbert's articles to try and spin them and slate the club that just happened to have the same name as somebody who left him multiple book reviews on the day of its release. Strangely, the name changed on Amazon when I pointed it out.

Still, if we get promoted he will get a selfie with his cov shirt on like he's number 1 fan.

Liquid Gold

That tweet also reminds me of Kieran Crowley who worked in a media capacity for the club, now for the Ireland national team. Always came across as well and has nothing but positives to say about the club, recently said that the local media were always working against the club, said nobody liked working against them and implied they were trying to spin quotes from them.

Nick

Administrator

I think Tynan Scope has also called the Telegraph out a few times for their bullshit.

Notice how Andy didn't reply?

Liquid Gold

I'm sure people with very strong opinions will be along in a minute to let us know they weren't aware of all of this.

Nick

Administrator
I'm sure people with very strong opinions will be along in a minute to let us know they weren't aware of all of this.

You mean the same ones who try to discredit a normal fan thinking they get free tickets but when it comes to local media getting freebies from Wasps and then spinning things and not reporting certain things that make them look bad it's fine, just PR?

SkyBlueCRJ

They don't support the local football club (not the owners) like you see other local papers doing where they seem to be passionate about the club.

I don't think many people like Andy Turner at the club to be honest. I don't remember McNulty having a pop admittedly but I do vaguely remember Johnson not being a fan.

I'm sure each side have their own version of events but if I were a betting man I think the CT are clearly the common denominator, as it's a bit odd that everyone seems to fall out with them. Again it's clear that this is just another case of bruised egos getting in the way of what's right.

It's unlikely that the majority of other clubs have been through similar toxic situations as we have though - i.e. where relationships have been broken down between the local club and local newspaper to such an extent that the latter effectively pushes out borderline fake news on a regular basis. So, that's a difficult web to spin. That's not really much different to asking why the majority of city councils support their local club - and ours don't. Different organisation, same answer.

Nick

Administrator
Let's not forget this peach:

The telegraph understands...

"Benjamin Buck" was a user on the Telegraph site who would make things up with the people who run the strange Twitter accounts. Just another coincidence that he had chance to read Gilbert's book and leave multiple reviews for it before it was released. That account was constantly stirring things up towards CCFC.

It was also used on a Journalist website against people slating the Telegraph : https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2017/news/second-trinity-mirror-site-hits-10m-a-month-milestone/

Strangely that alias vanished when he left the Telegraph.

Nick

Administrator
I don't think many people like Andy Turner at the club to be honest. I don't remember McNulty having a pop admittedly but I do vaguely remember Johnson not being a fan.

I'm sure each side have their own version of events but if I were a betting man I think the CT are clearly the common denominator, as it's a bit odd that everyone seems to fall out with them. Again it's clear that this is just another case of bruised egos getting in the way of what's right.

It's unlikely that the majority of other clubs have been through similar toxic situations as we have though - i.e. where relationships have been broken down between the local club and local newspaper to such an extent that the latter effectively pushes out borderline fake news on a regular basis. So, that's a difficult web to spin. That's not really much different to asking why the majority of city councils support their local club - and ours don't. Different organisation, same answer.

The thing with the Telegraph is that it isn't just with CCFC, they tend to spin things when it comes to the council as well which is clearly where the link is. The KovBlog guy is constantly hammering them about them bullshitting for the council about other stuff that isn't CCFC related.

When you have emails from Council PR companies saying they have briefed the Telegraph about things etc.

Gilbert used to be smug and say "we just put things out there and let people make up their own minds" when he was questioned about it.

The Telegraph isn't providing news, they are providing a PR service. As Pete's statement said they should stop misrepresenting things.

chiefdave

the CT are clearly the common denominator, as it's a bit odd that everyone seems to fall out with them.
This is the thing isn't it. Our manager, players and staff all change but the problem with the CT remains.
Gilbert used to be smug and say "we just put things out there and let people make up their own minds" when he was questioned about it.
That used to wind me up. Fisher would open his mouth and FOI requests would go flying in. Wasps would make a statement that was clearly false and you'd get we're just putting it out there.

Liquid Gold

You mean the same ones who try to discredit a normal fan thinking they get free tickets but when it comes to local media getting freebies from Wasps and then spinning things and not reporting certain things that make them look bad it's fine, just PR?
To be fair it is just PR for wasps but then they try and act like journalists for city. If they’re just doing puff pieces then it should be the same for us. If they’re going to investigate every little to do with us and spin a tiny comment you’d think they’d publish some of the big stories coming from Wasps.

North Korean media standards.

Nick

Administrator
To be fair it is just PR for wasps but then they try and act like journalists for city. If they’re just doing puff pieces then it should be the same for us. If they’re going to investigate every little to do with us and spin a tiny comment you’d think they’d publish some of the big stories coming from Wasps.

North Korean media standards.

Have they even mentioned the Wasps player saying he wants it to come out about their manager going? They purposely left that out of an article.

They are just providing a PR service, it isn't journalism or news. The sooner they go to the wall the better.

Get an independent CCFC journalist who will do it and have access to the club for the football side of it.

Liquid Gold

The problem is in days gone by people like Dom/SideSammy on twitter would have been spotted by local media and pinched to do that job for the paper, he does it for free anyway I'm sure he could do them two pages a week, preview of opponents and a match review. Now they aren't bothered and just pump media statements and use a content writer to put a clickbaity headline on a statement.

Nick

Administrator
The problem is in days gone by people like Dom/SideSammy on twitter would have been spotted by local media and pinched to do that job for the paper, he does it for free anyway I'm sure he could do them two pages a week, preview of opponents and a match review. Now they aren't bothered and just pump media statements and use a content writer to put a clickbaity headline on a statement.

Exactly, the same with the Lonely Season... Both give great content.

You could say the same about the Podcast and then CWR.

Nick

Administrator
Think Clive gets a bit to much of a hammering on the pod for them to get a call up tbh.

ha, I just meant the format. Why are people going to listen to the phone in and some dickhead who hasn't been to a game for years acting like they are a pundit?

Granted, the fellas on the blog aren't pro pundits or ex footballers and have different opinions but the format in general is much better. They are also getting people like Marc McNulty and Tom Bayliss on who provide a really interesting insight.

I am sure more people would tune in to listen to an hour like that every week.

SkyBlueCRJ

The thing with the Telegraph is that it isn't just with CCFC, they tend to spin things when it comes to the council as well which is clearly where the link is.

When you have emails from Council PR companies saying they have briefed the Telegraph about things etc.

The Telegraph isn't providing news, they are providing a PR service. As Pete's statement said they should stop misrepresenting things.

Exactly, and what's the reason behind that except to keep them onside? CCC are a key pool of newsworthy material so they're simply not going to publish negative exposé's about whatever the Council's latest cock up is as that would be effectively be shooting themselves in the foot.

They are but again, they have been for years. I think that's become even more apparent now as their latest service offering is that companies can pay to send in press releases and have them published.

Old Warwickshire lad

Local news papers all across the UK are virtually cheer leaders for the local football teams.
They put a positive spin on virtually everything,and are bias towards “their team “ in all match reports.The telegraph these days seems to be the exception to the rule.
It never used to be like this and in the days of “ the pink “ it was great to buy and read all the great stories about city. Now they unfortunately seem to have a love affair with the w****.
I personally would never buy the telegraph ever again. It should be treated like the Sun is in Liverpool.

Nick

Administrator
Exactly, and what's the reason behind that except to keep them onside? CCC are a key pool of newsworthy material so they're simply not going to publish negative exposé's about whatever the Council's latest cock up is as that would be effectively be shooting themselves in the foot.

They are but again, they have been for years. I think that's become even more apparent now as their latest service offering is that companies can pay to send in press releases and have them published.

Surely they can still write about the council? The same as they can still write about CCFC when they slate them?

Do other local newspapers conveniently forget so much?

Here's another example : Money paid to housing support firm

The Telegraph seemed to not mention that. You have "journalists" saying they are great friends with councillors etc.

It isn't right.

Users who are viewing this thread