Telegraph says 15 point deduction possible (1 Viewer)

Flying Fokker

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2013/03/16/sky-blues-could-face-15-point-deduction-if-sisu-fights-takeover-bid-92746-32999499/

COVENTRY City could start next season with a 15-point deduction if owners Sisu are forced out.

That is the verdict of top football finance expert Brendan Guilfoyle after Ricoh Arena operating company Arena Coventry Ltd (ACL) applied to put the club into administration over its unpaid rent bill, totalling more than £1million.

If this application is successful at the High Court on Friday the Sky Blues could face a 10-point deduction this season, while the door will be left open for a possible takeover.

Mr Guilfoyle is a leading football finance expert and insolvency practitioner who has acted as the administrator for clubs including Crystal Palace, Luton and Plymouth Argyle.

He says faced with being forced from the club, Sisu could leave the team with a second points deduction at the start of next season by refusing all offers from other potential buyers once the club is in administration.

“It wouldn’t scupper a sale but it might mean the club starts next season on minus15 points,” Mr Guilfoyle explained.

“For this to happen Sisu would have to vote against any sale – and they probably would – but if they block a sale it could still go through in special circumstances.”

It comes as both ACL and Sisu prepare for the bitter legal battle amid mounting takeover speculation.

ACL – jointly owned by Coventry City Council and the Alan Higgs charity – say they have applied to put the club into administration following suggestions by the club’s owners the club could be wound up.

The application centres on £1.3million in rent arrears owed to ACL and follows the bitter breakdown of negotiations with the club about lowering the Ricoh rent.

Sisu, a Mayfair-based hedge fund, has ploughed more than £40million into running Coventry City – much of which is believed to be technically owed back to it in the form of debt.

Mr Guilfoyle says as the club’s biggest creditor, Sisu could refuse to agree to any takeover, resulting in a second Football League points penalty next season after they have been forced out.

The Telegraph asked Coventry City for the current total Sisu has spent on the club since taking charge and how much the club still owes Sisu in the form of debt.

The club declined to answer these questions, but released a statement from chief executive Tim Fisher which said: “We have not applied for a court application which could send the club into administration.

“That has been done to us.

“There is no benefit to the football club, its supporters or any other party to discuss financial and commercial details through the media. Why would we do that when we are at such a delicate stage in proceedings?

“We are doing everything we can to work through this while at the same time running a football club that is doing very well on the field and in touching distance of the play-off places.”

Last edited:

Black6Osprey

Yes, who said administration was exciting?

Not the word that springs to my mind.

We can wave to Luton as they pass us going the other way.

Flying Fokker

We chucked that many away at the start of this season. Bit of a worry if we have a weak squad during admin.

stupot07

We chucked that many away at the start of this season. Bit of a worry if we have a weak squad during admin.

Although chucked away points early on this season, the mental affect on the players starting on -15 points will be hugely detrimental.

coundonskyblue

Just have to face it head on. Admin has been kicked down the road for long enough. The longer we leave it the worse it will be.

This is about getting it right for the next 20, 50, 100 years. In the grand scheme of things next season isn't important.

skyblue025

Leedss got a 10 or 15points deduction (cant remember which) and still made the playoffs under Wise/Poyet/Mcallister. Doesn't mean we will be relegated IF we get the deduction..

Flying Fokker

Just have to face it head on. Admin has been kicked down the road for long enough. The longer we leave it the worse it will be.

This is about getting it right for the next 20, 50, 100 years. In the grand scheme of things next season isn't important.

True, what's another year.

stupot07

Leedss got a 10 or 15points deduction (cant remember which) and still made the playoffs under Wise/Poyet/Mcallister. Doesn't mean we will be relegated IF we get the deduction..

No doesn't mean relegation but play offs would be very difficult.

Flying Fokker

Go knows. Pompey have players on monthly contracts so who knows what will happen?

Saving grace may be that the young players could start for a while until they become saleable assets.

Black6Osprey

I hear what you are saying but worrying about how we are getting on after I'm dead is probably extending it past my level of interest if I'm honest.

sky blue john

Fans are going to have to get to terms with the fact that we are not going to get through this unscathed.
If admin happens players will be sold we will have a weak squad we may have to right off this season and maybe next season.
The main crux of it is that the stadium has to be united with the club for the long term stability of the club.
With Sisu at the helm this is impossible for several reasons -
1) They have burnt their bridges with ACL.
2) They don't want to pay for the stadium.
3) Even if ACL were prepared to sell them the stadium or share Sisu would probably not except the terms of not being able to borrow against it or being able to split it from the club.

So with these points in mind I can't see any benefit of Sisu staying in charge of our club !!

AFCCOVENTRY

I wish people would stop comparing us to Pompey. There situation is completely different from ours.

I didn't realise Sisu could block any deal to buy the club off them? I thought it was down to the administrator to find a new owner.

hamil99

Facebook User

Difference is they still got 30,000 turn up at their home games, so they could afford a better squad. I think we might struggle, specially if ( who ever owns! ) the club can't utilize match day income, could mean the amount we spend on players be very low.

Users who are viewing this thread