Telegraph Piece (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Something doesn't add up here (for a change!).

We're told the club is cost neutral. We're also, from what we have been told, averaging well above the break even attendance.

Now Anderson is saying "It reflects the reality that we’re in League One and still trying to build a good foundation for the football club" yet other L1 clubs turned down similar amounts for their players. So why is our L1 reality so much worse than other clubs?

What foundation is he trying to build? Seems to me he's just sold the foundation.

The only thing thats changed since all that is signing people like Joe Cole (or Anderson himself), either they have changed it and we now lose money because of them. Or cost neutral was a load of shite! :)

albatross

“The decision to sell a player is made after the careful consideration of a number of factors that have to do with the financial situation of the football club, the needs of the manager to field the best team that our money can buy but also the wishes of the player,” said Anderson.

“In the case of a young footballer like James I think it’s really important to understand his position to join Norwich City is for his own personal professional development and the pathway he sees himself on going forward....
The question then becomes, for the player, what is the best pathway to get me there and I think Norwich City provides a wonderful platform to achieve his ambitions and dreams and we’re really thrilled to have him with us for the time we’ve got him.”

In the words of Daltry and Townshend "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

This is total tosh since if Mowbray is to be believed he never asked to leave, he was sold , he just exercised his own judgement as to where he may be better off. other than we ant the cash this argument holds no water as it is the total opposite position the club adopted in retaining Armstrong.

I think in the long term, this deal will cost CCFC much more than the money recouped today.

Specs WT-R75

Think it is all football income including player sales. This is the reply I got from FL some time ago

"Income generated by a club that forms part of its football activities such as, commercial revenues, gate revenues, solidarity payments, Football League payments, donations, net transfer income (transfer fees paid) all make up the relevant income within the SCMP guidelines."

Logically speaking though this doesn't make sense. If I sell my star player for 5m, I can't go out and spend all that 5m on replacing the same player... even though it is in theory a net zero sum play.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

"There are no restrictions (in themselves) on the amount a club can lose or spend on transfer fees."

bringbackrattles

I've never been one to understand all the financial ins and outs of football. All I want to know is, that when I go to a game I want to see us win the bloody thing. And we can only do that with the best players available to us. I just don't get selling assets to the club when they're needed. Seems to me the club sees a good player's potential and sells them. Which just means us lingering in the lower leagues for years. Shoot me down in flames if you think I'm talking crap, but that's just the way I see it.
I've mentioned this so many times to fellow City fans that we always flog our talent,any good player will go as sure as eggs are eggs. But these days it's happening in every league and not just with our club,it's bloody frustrating but all part of football now.

Esoterica

Also the way he is being congratulated sounds like it is something he wanted.

If my boss forced me to do something I didn't want to do, I doubt I would be getting congratulated about it!

You might, if you manage to swallow it all :p

Gazolba

I've never been one to understand all the financial ins and outs of football. All I want to know is, that when I go to a game I want to see us win the bloody thing. And we can only do that with the best players available to us. <snip>.

And our problem has been a leaky defence. And TM has just signed two England International defenders from Premiership clubs. We have a stronger squad now than before the transfer window so you should be happy as we are more likely to win from now on.

Gazolba

We're told the club is cost neutral. We're also, from what we have been told, averaging well above the break even attendance.
<snip>.

The break-even attendance must be a fluid number based on the size of the squad and the wages of the players. We have signed seven players recently and only Kent has exited (and he is not one of the recent seven) so I would imagine we are over the estimated budget for wages at the moment. I don't know what the situation is at the other clubs. Maybe they have smaller squads or players or lower wages.

Irish Sky Blue

The break-even attendance must be a fluid number based on the size of the squad and the wages of the players. We have signed seven players recently and only Kent has exited (and he is not one of the recent seven) so I would imagine we are over the estimated budget for wages at the moment. I don't know what the situation is at the other clubs. Maybe they have smaller squads or players or lower wages.

Or just more ambition than Sisu?

fernandopartridge

Havent seen you for months whilst the club was winning, but we sell a player and the harbinger of doom is back.

Why werent you on here talking about the team whilst we have been doing well?
I've never seen a post from him about football ever. Thought Weber Shandwick's contract was up now mind. Awaiting the return of RPHunt too.

fernandopartridge

Now Anderson is saying "It reflects the reality that we’re in League One and still trying to build a good foundation for the football club" yet other L1 clubs turned down similar amounts for their players. So why is our L1 reality so much worse than other clubs?

What foundation is he trying to build? Seems to me he's just sold the foundation.
The income generated is still pretty much limited to tickets. Exceeding the average a couple of times isn't going to pay a players wage for 6 months.

chiefdave

Not sure about that. Doesn't really tally with what has been reported.

Tony Mowbray has revealed he’s still got a funds from Coventry City’s playing budget which he’s saving for a rainy day.

“If we’ve got no money after Christmas and we get an injury to a key player or Armstrong goes back we can’t moan if we’ve spent all our money, so we have to keep some back for a rainy day maybe,” said Mowbray, who has half an eye on strengthening his squad in the January transfer window.

“We’re always trying to improve the squad. The budget hasn’t changed but there’s still a little bit left and it’s just waiting for the right bodies.”

That was in October, the only players we've singed since then are Lorentzson, Hunt and Bigi.

Then 10 days ago we had this:

The Sky Blues boss has been told by Joy Seppala that extra funds are available outside the current playing budget to help boost the club’s chances of promotion with 19 games to go.

Mowbray confirmed the cash would cover wages for loans or out-of-contract players rather than transfer fees.

And he revealed he almost spent it last week after identifying a number of players he wanted but those deals have since broken down.

Asked about the extra funds, over and above the estimated £2m-2.5million football budget, he explained: “It’s got to the point that if we think we need a player they are not saying ‘no’.

“We were at a stage a week or ten days ago where there was an option, potentially, of getting two or three real players that might have given us a push on but for different reasons they have fallen away a little bit.

“But it was just to ask the question, ‘if we are at budget now, are we able to do anything or have we got to go with the same group?’

"And they have come back to Mark Venus and said that if the right player is there for the right price let's do it, which is good for us.

“We haven’t done anything about that at the moment. I am not the sort to think that if there’s more available let’s go and spend it, so we might not spend it. We might save it for a rainy day.

“Let’s wait and see but it’s pleasing to think that if there was a player who we thought could improve us that the option is there for us.”

Sounds to me like Venus has kept back money for this window and also been given a budget increase.

Terry Gibson's perm

Seems to me that Mr Andersons modus operandi is to say a lot, carefully explaining the obvious but never actually saying anything meaningful.

he has been here long enough now to be put under better scrutiny

just my opinion

I was no fan of Waggott but I am not sure this new chap is actually any better as the club are still doing the simple things wrong like ticket sales and decent communication to the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread