Telegraph Moving? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Looks as if the building in the Canal basin is under offer for rent.

Can't really blame them, £5k a month is absolute madness! It's no wonder so many businesses are going to try and get people to work from home.

Nick

Administrator
You would think they dont really need somewhere that big.

Theres a few buildings like it, also Advent (Adam Dent's PR Company) has it's building up for rent.

Guess there will be a lot of empty buildings now people can work from home.

Nick

Administrator
Christ, a few empty at the Ricoh

chiefdave

Didn't realise they still had an office in Cov. Think they moved all the online staff to a centralised office in Birmingham a while back. How many staff do they have left that just cover the city, can't be many.

Suspect they'll just move them to working from home.

Canal basin seems to be another area of the city that hasn't been the success it should have been.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Didn't realise they still had an office in Cov. Think they moved all the online staff to a centralised office in Birmingham a while back. How many staff do they have left that just cover the city, can't be many.

Suspect they'll just move them to working from home.

Canal basin seems to be another area of the city that hasn't been the success it should have been.

Canal basin redevelopment was kiboshed the second they caved to pressure to make it a conservation area.

shmmeee

It’s a travesty how little we make of the canal in this city.

You could tell the telegraph were there because they’d always post shit videos of nearby like on the Anal Basin bridge or of the student flats being built.

shmmeee

Works OK in Bristol, and Exeter. What they learned is it's the heritage which sells.

Yeah but what heritage is there by the canal? I’ll be honest I don’t know the specifics of the area, just that generally developers run a mile from conservation areas.

I think the thrust is that the canal didn’t need preserving it needed developing. At least it is from me.

Terry Gibson's perm

Christ, a few empty at the Ricoh

I am shocked they are not there already on mates rates, good to see the office space there is another great success

shmmeee

I am shocked they are not there already on mates rates, good to see the office space there is another great success

But harsh to judge in the middle of a giant crash in office demand TBF.

Personally I want this city to thrive economically. Rising tide lifts all boats and all that.

Marty

Yeah but what heritage is there by the canal? I’ll be honest I don’t know the specifics of the area, just that generally developers run a mile from conservation areas.

I think the thrust is that the canal didn’t need preserving it needed developing. At least it is from me.

The council haven't got a clue, bunch of charlatans the lot of them.

NorthernWisdom

You can develop within what's there. Other cities manage it, and the area becomes an attraction worth visiting in itself, so the addresses have a prestige worth renting - helps a brand identity. As it stands, it's a pretty little haven that's lost because it's forgotten about - and I don't even mean flattening the ring road or anything like that, but it needs better solutions to join it up - and Coventry never joins things up, elements are left by themselves to fight in isolation. You have a ready made trail from Far Gosford Street - St Mary's / Cathedral - Motor Museum / Swanswell (yep! If done properly!) - Old Grammar School / Belgrade - Canal Basin... but then it stops. You need to join the circle somehow and also include Whitefriars. Open Whitefriars up instead of building hulking great blocks of flats next to it and swallowing it up.

I'm in two minds about how I feel about it all being leased out privately, but maybe it needs the Historic Coventry Trust let loose on it.

Other cities use their history to attract a thriving hub - we don't.

LastGarrison

You can develop within what's there. Other cities manage it, and the area becomes an attraction worth visiting in itself, so the addresses have a prestige worth renting - helps a brand identity. As it stands, it's a pretty little haven that's lost because it's forgotten about - and I don't even mean flattening the ring road or anything like that, but it needs better solutions to join it up - and Coventry never joins things up, elements are left by themselves to fight in isolation. You have a ready made trail from Far Gosford Street - St Mary's / Cathedral - Motor Museum / Swanswell (yep! If done properly!) - Old Grammar School / Belgrade - Canal Basin... but then it stops. You need to join the circle somehow and also include Whitefriars. Open Whitefriars up instead of building hulking great blocks of flats next to it and swallowing it up.

I'm in two minds about how I feel about it all being leased out privately, but maybe it needs the Historic Coventry Trust let loose on it.

Completely agree. Coventry is ‘bitty’. It needs to link up but it doesn’t.

Sadly they had a go at the Canal Basin at it hasn’t worked. In my opinion strangled by the ring road.

Fargo should link up with town but it doesn’t.

The Yard should be the link into the town centre but it isn’t.

However, what has a chance is the Slug and Lettuce/Cathedral Lanes into Spon Street via Corporation Street. If that takes off it could be good.

Corporation Street is now teeming with potential and I just hope COVID doesn’t fuck it up.

Philosorapter

Nick

Administrator
No it isn't, the ring road is the biggest issue the canal basin faces, a literal barrier

Exactly, yeah you can walk over the bridge but say you were in town and wanted a few beers at some nice bars at the canal basin it's a bit of a mission to get a taxi to go all the way round to get to it.

It isn't actually that far but when you think about it, it's "Nah fuck that".

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What's wrong with conservation areas?

Nothing provided they're in the right place. Say for example around the spires etc and it's used as a historic tourist attraction.

But the canal basin isn't going to do that esp in Cov where it's disconnected from the city centre by the RR. Should have used Brindley Place as a blueprint - improving the connection with the rest of the city centre and focus on dining and entertainment.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I did an outline idea a few years ago I called 'the Station to the Basin' which connected the train station across the city centre to the Canal Basin. Was heavily influenced by Brindley Place and very much relied on the Canal Basin becoming a regular visitor destination using dining and entertainment, preferably with some top end canalside apartments. Trouble with heritage is visitors see it once and don't need to come again.

The building around the Canal Basin aren't very practical for modern usage. The coal vaults is a useful little performing space and I'm sure some of the other buildings could be adapted for restaurant use.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Also the problem with Coventry's heritage is that it's very spread out due to the bits that were demolished either by bombing and post war development. There's no critical mass of buildings to create that sense of history and others are hidden away behind modern development or fake facades. There's far more historic building in Coventry than people realise but they're spread out.

So they either need connecting up with modern replicas (which isn't likely as it'd involve low-rise, small units in prime central location and that's never going to be economically feasible) or the bits we have need to be brought together in one area to make the most of them.

Spon St sort of did this, but it wasn't thought through as a business opportunity - just the post war developers shoving them out of the way because they weren't allowed to demolish them.

So for me you bring things like that, FGS, Upper Spon St etc together in one area as a sort of living heritage museum, possibly including independent craft shops doing demonstrations of old crafts (weaving. glass etc) and selling their wares.

Where to put it though. for me I'd have chosen the area between the three spires (Greyfriars Lane, New Union St, Little park St, High St) as it's a place likely to interest those searching for history and heritage and is in the old heart of the city. Could also make more of the Registry Office and Ford's Hospital. It then leaves the areas they used to inhabit free for redevelopment without putting developers off being hampered having to work around the older structures.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

You're absolutely spot on about not joining things up. You only have to look at what they've done in parts of the centre of Brum to make it a success.
Cov centre looks like a load of half baked projects that were done on the cheap and were never designed to bring it all together to give it a wow factor and attract investors and the public alike:
Cathedral lanes, West orchards, upper precinct, canal basin ( which is fairly inaccessible) and many more.
A lot of smallish projects that don't flow, don't join up and inevitably don't attract people. Coventry is and always has been an opportunity missed.

NorthernWisdom

Exactly, yeah you can walk over the bridge but say you were in town and wanted a few beers at some nice bars at the canal basin it's a bit of a mission to get a taxi to go all the way round to get to it.

It isn't actually that far but when you think about it, it's "Nah fuck that".
Really it needs, not the ring road altering (it works for the purpose it was designed, and if you flatten it it bottlenecks), but a better crossing solution created. Either a better / wider bridge that acts as a walkway in itself (the current one is a pretty inaccessible A-B that yep, you think 'fuck that') or subways that are designed so they don't end up hell-infused drug dens and places of threat!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Really it needs, not the ring road altering (it works for the purpose it was designed, and if you flatten it it bottlenecks), but a better crossing solution created. Either a better / wider bridge that acts as a walkway in itself (the current one is a pretty inaccessible A-B that yep, you think 'fuck that') or subways that are designed so they don't end up hell-infused drug dens and places of threat!

Problem with the RR is the trunk roads and sliproads - that's where the bottlenecks are. It was a design fault that almost all traffic that wants to cross the city are forced towards the centre and the RR. For a city the size of Coventry the traffic around its centre is very small - we're a very decentralised city with retail and business parks further out that took the place of the factories.

Making it all at-level wouldn't add a huge amount of time onto a journey but make the city centre far better connected to the rest of the city. Trouble was they built a lot of it with flyovers when really they should used cuttings and given greater legibilityto the route into the city centre rather than the one around it.

Other thing that needs doing is an outer ring road on the west side between A45 and M6 near Allesely (west side of the ring road (J6-9) is far busier than the east which has the A46 bypass.

Other though I've had is to split up the junctions so that half just serve the ring road and the other half just serve the city centre thus splitting the traffic between those that want to go into the city centre and those wanting to go around it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Completely agree. Coventry is ‘bitty’. It needs to link up but it doesn’t.

Sadly they had a go at the Canal Basin at it hasn’t worked. In my opinion strangled by the ring road.

Fargo should link up with town but it doesn’t.

The Yard should be the link into the town centre but it isn’t.

However, what has a chance is the Slug and Lettuce/Cathedral Lanes into Spon Street via Corporation Street. If that takes off it could be good.

Corporation Street is now teeming with potential and I just hope COVID doesn’t fuck it up.

Agree overall but not convinced about CL to Spon St. Unless you remove TJ Hughes and make the route into Spon St far more obvious from the Lower Precinct side. Like a lot of places in the city centre route legibility is terrible. The demolition of Coventry Point is making a big difference to the route along Market Way for instance.

LastGarrison

Agree overall but not convinced about CL to Spon St. Unless you remove TJ Hughes and make the route into Spon St far more obvious from the Lower Precinct side. Like a lot of places in the city centre route legibility is terrible. The demolition of Coventry Point is making a big difference to the route along Market Way for instance.
When you go up there now there is Cafe Morso, Rodizio Rico, Franzos, the new dessert place, Steak Out etc.

I was really impressed at how it looked and the different choice. Less ‘chainy’ than Cathedral Lanes.

NorthernWisdom

When you go up there now there is Cafe Morso, Rodizio Rico, Franzos, the new dessert place, Steak Out etc.

I was really impressed at how it looked and the different choice. Less ‘chainy’ than Cathedral Lanes.
That's good to hear. That's what I'd hoped would happen to it.

Might have to check it out, once I get over my new-found fear of other people!

David O'Day

It would be impossible to marry a thriving nightlife area at the CB with the housing that is there. The 1 venue that is there has to walk on eggshells regarding noise so imagine what it would be like with multiple food places and bars?

LastGarrison

That's good to hear. That's what I'd hoped would happen to it.

Might have to check it out, once I get over my new-found fear of other people!
Admittedly I am a bit biased and the rose tinted glasses come out when it comes to improvements in Cov but it certainly has potential.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But how does it link CL/Precinct to Spon St?

wingy

Something across the top like the walkway from the railway station?

Terry Gibson's perm

But harsh to judge in the middle of a giant crash in office demand TBF.

Personally I want this city to thrive economically. Rising tide lifts all boats and all that.

I bet they have been empty for ages, when they built it they put far too much office space in and then created more when things like the gym failed.

Users who are viewing this thread