Team v Scunthorpe (3 Viewers)

BUSA

Assuming everyone is fit and available and no new striker signed what would your starting line-up and formation v Scunthorpe be ?

BUSA

I’d go 4-3-3. Burge Grimmer Willis Hyam Brown. Agogo, Doyle, bayliss, ponticelli, JCH & Andreu

Harry_Walker

With how we’ve started in pre season games I think it’ll be

Burge
Grimmer Willis (if fit) Hyam
Sterling Ogogo (if fit) Bayliss Doyle Brown
Andreu Biamou

pusbccfc

Nah 4-5-1

Burge
Sterling Willis hyam brown
Jones Doyle ogogo bayliss
Andreu
jch

Davies over Hyam and can't see Jodi making it. So, Shipley down the left.

Magwitch

Burge
Sterling Willis Hyam Brown
Bayliss Kelly Andrue Ogogo Shipley
new striker or Biamou
Subs: O’Brien, Grimmer McDonald
Westbrooke Doyle JCH Jones (if fit) or Mason

Last edited:

larry_david

I dunno what team we'll start with but MR better stick with what we fucking know. End of the season we were putting 3-4 past teams, don't fuck about with it. Mcnulty or no mcnulty, keep the shape and the team and we'll put teams away. Fannying about with 5 at the back, no no

Magwitch

He has the squad to play a number of systems of play but I agree how we finished last season I see no reason to change, could have doubled our scores at Notts County and Wembley, it just clicked into gear.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We need to replace McNulty in some capacity pretty urgently now.

If anyone thinks starting the season a league higher with Biamou as a lone striker (no matter his improvement) is remotely acceptable, then they are going to be in for a big surprise.

harvey098

Fairly sure we will play 3/5 at the back. We have two attacking wing backs. Not sure you can play two wide wingbacks in a back 4

Garryb80

I'd play ponticelli and biamou /jonno than one up top.
Ponticelli wouldn't start for me. Yesterday he had 1 decent shot but constantly gave the ball away. He wasn't alone but he didn't give me great confidence.
I believe he will stick with the 3-5-2/3-4-3 system he played yesterday. Grimmer was a lot better second half as wing back, Sterling is suited to this as are both left backs. Hyam played centre midfield second half and was actually quite impressive.
We have the players for the system sadly they are all not yet available or fit.

ccfchoi87

This might be a bit naive but I'd like the give the players from last year a chance to prove themselves first:

Burge

Grimmer
Willis
Hyam
Brown

Bayliss
Kelly
Doyle
Shipley

Andreu
Biamou

I think he'll go with a variation of 3-5-2 though.

Warwickhunt

will JCH learn to stay upright on th field of play this season?

Gibbo

3-5-2 is:-

1. The fad of the moment, so a possible black mark to Robbins for being swayed by that. Four at the back helped make us one of the best defences last year despite having two full backs who were wonky in defence. I hope he was just testing it out in Spain
2. On the other hand it might suit the plethora of midfielders we now have
3. Leaves space for Andreu in the event a new striker being acquired
4. But in the meantime Andreu could be a temporary sort of striker playing just behind Max or JCH in the absence of an other to replace McNulty

I would stick to what we know at the back with upgrades in two key positions LB and central midfield

Burge
Grimmer Willis Hyam Brown
Stirling Ogogo Kelly Shipley
Andreu
Biamou

So, including Andreu - 4 new players which is about right. Five would be too disruptive to a winning team. I know, I know, no Bayliss. The measure is not "How good are you?" or "How good are you going to be?" but "How much are you going to contribute to a successful result?". Stirling is probably at a similar stage in development as Bayliss, so could be swapped I guess.

Gosb

So we look to have a squad of 22 players from which to pick the 18 needed.
Burge O'Brien Grimmer Brown Sterling Mason Willis Davies Hyam McDonald Doyle Kelly Ogogo Jones Bayliss Shipley Vincenti Westbrooke Andreu Biamou Clark-Harris Ponticelli
and that's not allowing for any youngsters or other recent signings who might break through this season.
If you add one more quality striker to that lot then we should have a decent season.

Greggs

Burge
Sterling Willis Hyam Brown
Bayliss Kelly Andrue Ogogo Shipley
new striker or Biamou
Subs: O’Brien, Grimmer McDonald
Westbrooke Doyle JCH Jones (if fit) or Mason
injure, injured, injured, injured, injured, sold

Super Graham Withey

We need to replace McNulty in some capacity pretty urgently now.

If anyone thinks starting the season a league higher with Biamou as a lone striker (no matter his improvement) is remotely acceptable, then they are going to be in for a big surprise.
Agreed. Even before McNulty left I said we needed another striker. I'm not convinced that any of Biamou, JCH or Ponti will cut it at League One level. Robins persistence with Biamou in the first half of last season probably cost us automatic promotion and consistently, taking out the odd spectacular goal, his link up play and finishing is not good enough. JCH looks to me to have fitness issues. Ponti looks like a player who will score goals for fun in the National League or lower but I'm not sure his technique is up to even League standards. I hope I'm proved wrong on all three but for me we desparately need to get another striker in now, because otherwise, I think we may struggle this season.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Agreed. Even before McNulty left I said we needed another striker. I'm not convinced that any of Biamou, JCH or Ponti will cut it at League One level. Robins persistence with Biamou in the first half of last season probably cost us automatic promotion and consistently, taking out the odd spectacular goal, his link up play and finishing is not good enough. JCH looks to me to have fitness issues. Ponti looks like a player who will score goals for fun in the National League or lower but I'm not sure his technique is up to even League standards. I hope I'm proved wrong on all three but for me we desparately need to get another striker in now, because otherwise, I think we may struggle this season.

I just cannot believe how many people are saying we should start with Biamou as a loan striker.

It's literally madness.

Deity

For Scunthorpe our team will be

Burge
Grimmer, McDonald, Hyam, Brown
Bayliss, Doyle, Ogogo, Allesani
Andreu
Biamou

By end of Aug our team will be:

Burge
Sterling, Davies, Willis, Hyam, Brown
Doyle Ogogo Bayliss
Jones or Andreu
New Striker

By Christmas ...

Morgan and Allesani will both be starters.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Well it's him or JCH really isn't it?

It needs to be neither of them if we are actually going to take League One seriously.

JCH will be more of a goal threat than Biamou, but neither should be leading the line on their own. I'm honestly pretty shocked at the acceptance that we've lost McNulty and have failed to replace him.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Burge
Andreu
Biamou

Burge
Doyle Ogogo Bayliss
Jones or Andreu
New Striker

By Christmas ...

Just looked, deadline day is August 9th.

Gibbo

Burge
Andreu
Biamou

Burge
Doyle Ogogo Bayliss
Jones or Andreu
New Striker

By Christmas ...

Morgan?

ccfchoi87

It needs to be neither of them if we are actually going to take League One seriously.

JCH will be more of a goal threat than Biamou, but neither should be leading the line on their own. I'm honestly pretty shocked at the acceptance that we've lost McNulty and have failed to replace him.

But for the purposes of the thread we have to pick from them hence why people have picked Biamou.

Users who are viewing this thread