Del Boy 82

Feb 11, 2013
This team is crying out for a leader right now on the pitch, a real leader not a role model around the ground and training pitch. Someone who's gonna take charge, role there sleeves up on a match day and set the standard and pick this young inexperienced team up who have started the season so well. Chips are down now individual performances are poor and naturally team performance and results too.
TM and JC can prepare the team all week and on the lead up to kick off but it's on the pitch where it's won and lost. Step up our leader!
Sam Ricketts ain't cutting it. With all his experience and knowledge it counts for nothing if your not standing up yourself. Yes he's being asked to do a job out of his natural position but he's having a shocker of late doing the basics even against Crewe in the second half he was awful. His positional play has been poor for a number of games and seems to think he's more time on the ball than he has and distribution has all but gone. If our current leader cannot set the standard... Kids around will ultimately fade.

percy

Aug 8, 2010
someone with a bit of passion running through their veins required.

Del Boy 82

Feb 11, 2013
Definitely Ricketts looks like he's lost the desire.... No impetus on the team unfortunately lately.

Sbarcher

Mar 23, 2011
Oxford
It could be running right through at the moment. Didn't see any of the management team out of their seats urging the team on or shouting tactics during 2nd half.

clint van damme

May 3, 2015
totally agree with the OP.

After the first goal yesterday everyone's head was down, shoulders drooped. The only one who showed any defiance was Hunt who was shouting and shaking his fist.

Samo

Jul 6, 2012
Hmm... I didn't hear anyone complaining about his leadership before Xmas but now it's an issue?

Del Boy 82

Feb 11, 2013
Hmm... I didn't hear anyone complaining about his leadership before Xmas but now it's an issue?

Been questioning him for a while, However now more than ever his team needs him to stand up and be counted.... And he is not. Just walks back to the restart, managed to do a small rally of a clap of hands yesterday. However it was the likes of hunt and ramage trying to do the job and they've been here 5 mins, if 5 mins too long on yesterday's showing.
If RCC and Aaron Phillips can be dragged over the coals for there mistakes being young players should we not be looking at Sam Ricketts being a seasoned pro having little impact at a critical point in our promotion push for his leadership qualities and inadequate performances.

usskyblue

Jan 31, 2012
Tampa
When Johnson plays he seems like that kind of player. Don't think there's anyone else in the team that comes close.

Samo

Jul 6, 2012
Been questioning him for a while, However now more than ever his team needs him to stand up and be counted.... And he is not. Just walks back to the restart, managed to do a small rally of a clap of hands yesterday. However it was the likes of hunt and ramage trying to do the job and they've been here 5 mins, if 5 mins too long on yesterday's showing.
If RCC and Aaron Phillips can be dragged over the coals for there mistakes being young players should we not be looking at Sam Ricketts being a seasoned pro having little impact at a critical point in our promotion push for his leadership qualities and inadequate performances.

No excuse of course but it's hard to keep your head up when you are questioning those around you. Must feel like flogging a dead horse. And... at 34 he probably needs a rest but because of the defensive situation he is not being given the chance.

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011

Because when the chips are down, you need leaders. When everything's hunky dory, everyone's leading, but those with fragile temperaments start hiding and going quiet when things aren't going their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Samo

Jul 6, 2012
Because when the chips are down, you need leaders. When everything's hunky dory, everyone's leading, but those with fragile temperaments start hiding and going quiet when things aren't going their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

And you think Ricketts has a 'fragile temperament'?

Del Boy 82

Feb 11, 2013
No excuse of course but it's hard to keep your head up when you are questioning those around you. Must feel like flogging a dead horse. And... at 34 he probably needs a rest but because of the defensive situation he is not being given the chance.

I take your point but as a leader of a team in the play off places there is still plenty to believe in. He looks defeated from the off, the kids feed off that. Take yesterday away as that was poor from 90% of the squad, the last 10/12 games we've wobbled for various reasons... Poor refs, bad luck, injuries. It's these times a experienced player and a leader/captain you gotta be the one riding the wave big or small. I feel he's offering nothing.

CJ_covblaze

May 19, 2013
Coventry

Same here. Too many under par performances. Hardly leading by example at present. Doesn't help who his defensive partner was yesterday. Was like watching Morecambe and Wise.

Del Boy 82

Feb 11, 2013
Same here. Too many under par performances. Hardly leading by example at present. Doesn't help who his defensive partner was yesterday. Was like watching Morecambe and Wise.

Yesterday was terrible, politely..... Ramage could not play a half decent pass bar one, heading needed 2/3 attempts at times. But he did have desire! Something Ricketts was lacking. Was never near his man and one occasion Williams nearly had a tap in because Ricketts gave up the cause, luckily ramage managed to clear for another ill fated set piece. Could go back the past few games and it's clear to see.
Highlights only make reflection of his performances worse. Cannot justify what he's doing lately to find excuses

mechaishida

Nov 2, 2015
And you think Ricketts has a 'fragile temperament'?

I think he's suffering from a lack of confidence in his recent CB partners, myself.

Vincelot seems to be more of a captain, imo. Experience doesn't always equate to leadership skill.

Del Boy 82

Feb 11, 2013
I think he's suffering from a lack of confidence in his recent CB partners, myself.

Vincelot seems to be more of a captain, imo. Experience doesn't always equate to leadership skill.

Played poorly along side stokes who's looked solid next to him. Still found out of position strolling around near no one. I cannot see a excuse in his last 6 games say to keep faith.

mechaishida

Nov 2, 2015
Played poorly along side stokes who's looked solid next to him. Still found out of position strolling around near no one. I cannot see a excuse in his last 6 games say to keep faith.

I'd say rest him, or give him a break, but who do we have to replace him? Trying times indeed, especially for TM.

Samo

Jul 6, 2012

Who were you referring to then?

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
Who were you referring to then?

The team in general. You only have 1 captain but you need leaders all over the pitch.

Re: Ricketts I don't think he's fragile mentally I just think he's 34 and needs a rest, and has been moved around the back 4 far too much. It really didn't help that Vincelot lost his head just after we pulled on back.

IMO, Mowbray and Venus have lost their way a touch with recruitment, he's balancing a young squad with too many 30+ year olds who are unfit, not played enough football and on the decline. Look at Bristol - just two 30+ year olds in Wade Elliot and Wilbrahams in their title winning side.

Last edited:

Del Boy 82

Feb 11, 2013
I'd say rest him, or give him a break, but who do we have to replace him? Trying times indeed, especially for TM.

Yeah a little thin on the ground, needs to role his sleeves up and set the standard. Cb not exactly a physically demanding game in terms of fitness when he's used to playing as a LB or RB most his career. Sat a game out v Oldham if I'm correct? (Not sure) but ain't seemed to do him any good.

Samo

Jul 6, 2012
The team in general. You only have 1 captain but you need leaders all over the pitch.

Re: Ricketts I don't think he's fragile mentally I just think he's 34 and needs a rest, and has been moved around the back 4 far too much. It really didn't help that Vincelot lost his head just after we pulled on back.

You were responding to my post about a specific player; Ricketts - so I think it was fair to assume that's who you meant.
I agree that he needs a rest.

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
You were responding to my post about a specific player; Ricketts - so I think it was fair to assume that's who you meant.
I agree that he needs a rest.

Sorry my mistake.

Del Boy 82

Feb 11, 2013
Still wishing our captain would step up and lead. Looking worse and worse each week now. Time for a rest..... Weak link at the back now.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dec 15, 2015
We crying out for some leadership. Too many babies on the pitch.

I have one player in mind that could help, but someone will have to call Scunthrope...

Del Boy 82

Feb 11, 2013
We crying out for some leadership. Too many babies on the pitch.

I have one player in mind that could help, but someone will have to call Scunthrope...
Job is not the man, sorry. His commitment is there no doubting that but not in a positive way to get them going.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Jan 24, 2011
Malvern
Team leader required

And here was me thinking that would be Joe Cole's role in the team! Doh! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

Nov 24, 2012
Ricketts really naffed me off for the goal utterly lost his man who then had a free header!!

wingy

Jul 9, 2011
I really like Stokes and it doesn't happen very often but he can be beaten for the cross to go in.
Not because he's shit but he doesn't tackle as such.
He's more of a marshal/stand the guy up,but he needs the guy in front of him to double up.
That hasn't happened much this season and I'm not hanging him out as we've possibly only conceded a couple from his side. It's more of a critique of the exposure through lack of cover in front.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dec 15, 2015
Job is not the man, sorry. His commitment is there no doubting that but not in a positive way to get them going.

It seems that since Mowbrays comments about him, people have just decided he's a bad influence on the team and we're better off without him.

Certainly from what I've seen on the pitch, I could only see the opposite when he was playing, and most people were in agreement before this. He encourages and also kicks players up the backside when they're not performing. Something I don't think Mowbray does well enough actually. His influence was always in the right direction for us.

Mowbray didn't like him, that was clear early on. The comments that came out were a rebuffer for him going out on loan and shifted the focus in my opinion.

hill83

Sep 15, 2008
Coventry

Things change chap.

I wasn't limping before I broke my toe.

Edit: Just noticed this is an attention seeking thread bump. Ignore my post.

Samo

Jul 6, 2012
Things change chap.

Toes break and heal... Leaders either are or they aint.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Jan 24, 2011
Malvern
Things change chap.

Made me giggle! ;)

Del Boy 82

Feb 11, 2013
It seems that since Mowbrays comments about him, people have just decided he's a bad influence on the team and we're better off without him.

Certainly from what I've seen on the pitch, I could only see the opposite when he was playing, and most people were in agreement before this. He encourages and also kicks players up the backside when they're not performing. Something I don't think Mowbray does well enough actually. His influence was always in the right direction for us.

Mowbray didn't like him, that was clear early on. The comments that came out were a rebuffer for him going out on loan and shifted the focus in my opinion.
Maybe... Not from me. Could impact a game like today and I like his efforts and commitment but all the pointing and berating of players ain't the way forward.

Users who are viewing this thread