Team for Oxford (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Burge
Grimmer Willis Hyam Mason
Doyle Ogogo
Thomas Allassani
JCH Chaplin

Would rather have Kelly in the middle (whooaaaoohh), but he’s not available. Think you need two holding with Thomas and Allassani on the wings.

Sky Blue Harry H

Burge
Doyle Ogogo
Thomas Allassani
JCH Chaplin

Would rather have Kelly in the middle (whooaaaoohh), but he’s not available. Think you need two holding with Thomas and Allassani on the wings.

He signs a 4 year deal, and you treat Bayliss like that - shame on you, shame!

Esoterica

I'd guess Andreu is getting benched tomorrow with Conor Chaplin doing the pre-match interview. I'd really like to see Ogogo given a chance to play in the middle with Bayliss in the league. I think Ogogo's athleticism will better compensate for Bayliss' natural game than what Doyle offers on the football side. I don't think the issues highlighted with Bayliss playing central are any more of an issue than Doyle's one paced trotting around in a 20 yard circle. Yes Bayliss is not as disciplined as your average CM and he lacks some positional sense/awareness defensively but he's doing the running for 2 a lot of the time. Ogogo will cover an attacking midfield faster and more efficiently.
Thomas on the left for this game too. If you can't shoot for shit I'd rather have him on his natural side so he stops cutting inside. I've seen comments saying he's exciting and gets fans out of their seat but I think that's just people taking evasive action from his shooting.
And Chaplin to play on the last line of defenders. His interview this week says he's not bothered whether he plays as '9' or '10' but when we're lacking goals and he's a natural finisher it seems a waste to play him deep.

---------------Burge-----------------
--------------Ogogo-----------------
Allassani Bayliss Thomas
----------JCH Chaplin--------------

capel & collindridge

I believe it is the International break so Bayliss, Sterling and Bakayoko are not available.

--------------Burge----------------
Grimmer- Hyam- Willis- Mason
----Ogogo- -------Doyle---------
Allasani---Chapman---Thomas
--------------JCH----------------
Robins likes to play off a physical presence so JCH is a certain with no Max or Baka .
They say tall centre halves don't like nippy forwards and Allasani and Chapman seem to be the most likely to find the target, just hoping Thomas finds his cool.
Attack and put on a show for sky.
Don't believe everything it says on your new striker's replica shirt!

Last edited:

Skybluefaz

I'd guess Andreu is getting benched tomorrow with Conor Chaplin doing the pre-match interview. I'd really like to see Ogogo given a chance to play in the middle with Bayliss in the league. I think Ogogo's athleticism will better compensate for Bayliss' natural game than what Doyle offers on the football side. I don't think the issues highlighted with Bayliss playing central are any more of an issue than Doyle's one paced trotting around in a 20 yard circle. Yes Bayliss is not as disciplined as your average CM and he lacks some positional sense/awareness defensively but he's doing the running for 2 a lot of the time. Ogogo will cover an attacking midfield faster and more efficiently.
Thomas on the left for this game too. If you can't shoot for shit I'd rather have him on his natural side so he stops cutting inside. I've seen comments saying he's exciting and gets fans out of their seat but I think that's just people taking evasive action from his shooting.
And Chaplin to play on the last line of defenders. His interview this week says he's not bothered whether he plays as '9' or '10' but when we're lacking goals and he's a natural finisher it seems a waste to play him deep.

Allassani Bayliss Thomas
Allassani not being involved in the 23s yesterday could suggest he's in for a start... I saw a bit of the u23s match on Monday and without looking like a constant menace he looked a proper player. Positionally he was spot on and it was another good finish for his goal.

steve82

Allassani Bayliss Thomas

You make some good points and I agree Chaplin has to be on the shoulders of the last man and in the 18 yard box as much as possible, but I’d like us to retain Tony Andreu in the side for his set piece ability. All last season we lacked a creditable threat from a free kick. Andreu is the one who offers the most consistent threat of a goal out of the majority of the players.

I’m hopeful that Chaplin will gamble more on chances if in the box when we start working the keeper should he make half a save and follow up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dazed&confused

Allassani not being involved in the 23s yesterday could suggest he's in for a start... I saw a bit of the u23s match on Monday and without looking like a constant menace he looked a proper player. Positionally he was spot on and it was another good finish for his goal.

My issue with Allassani is his height and build. What is he 5ft 7"? Fine, but we can't fill the team with players of his stature. Don't you think against Rochdale, when he came on as a substitute, while he looked a prospect, he was too easily contained by their big right-back? With Chaplin and Thomas also being members of the wee man club, don't you think we need more physical presence on the pitch? Especially in this division. Or is that heightist nonsense?

Last edited:

Greggs

My issue with Allassani is his height and build. What is he 5ft 7"? Fine, but we can't fill the team with players of his stature. Don't you think against Rochdale, when he came on as a substitute, while he looked a prospect, he was too easily contained by their big right-back? With Chaplin and Thomas also being members of the wee man club, don't you think we need more physical presence on the pitch? Especailly in this division. Or is that heightist nonsence?
Vincenti was 6 foot 9

Esoterica

You make some good points and I agree Chaplin has to be on the shoulders of the last man and in the 18 yard box as much as possible, but I’d like us to retain Tony Andreu in the side for his set piece ability. All last season we lacked a creditable threat from a free kick. Andreu is the one who offers the most consistent threat of a goal out of the majority of the players.

I’m hopeful that Chaplin will gamble more on chances if in the box when we start working the keeper should he make half a save and follow up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like Andreu a lot but he's increasingly looked like a player whose been out for a year in the last couple of games. Just think he'd benefit from a quieter week or two. I'd like to see how Andreu and Chaplin get on together too at some point and whether we'd suffer from a lack of physical presence.

Skybluefaz

My issue with Allassani is his height and build. What is he 5ft 7"? Fine, but we can't fill the team with players of his stature. Don't you think against Rochdale, when he came on as a substitute, while he looked a prospect, he was too easily contained by their big right-back? With Chaplin and Thomas also being members of the wee man club, don't you think we need more physical presence on the pitch? Especailly in this division. Or is that heightist nonsence?
It's not an area of the pitch I believe we need height in although defending corners etc would be a test and if we get dominated and concede from corners and free kicks then he'll obviously need to make changes. I think he can put the ball in the net though and we are funking struggling to do that.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Barca? Whole team of shortarses but pretty much dominated football for a number of years.

The thing is they use that to their advantage by playing to their strengths. Low centre of gravity, quick feet - keep the ball on the deck and use quick passing. So far we seem to be lumping it forward but last year showed we can get the ball down and play and once Bayliss and/or Andreu gets back into their stride we should be OK. Then with Kelly and Jones fit and Allassani getting up to speed I'm hoping it'll turn around.

As with everything, a mix is best - you need a bit of muscle in there to help gain control and let the small players do their thang.

We probably are quite a small team looking at 'first choices' - Willis is small for a CB and Brown and Mason. CM with Doyle and Ogogo and wide players of Jones, Allassani and Thomas with Chaplin up front. But even our 'big' players aren't that physical or that good in the air. Bakayoko is huge but not that type of player and when JCH gets nasty he can be effective but has games he justs seems to want a lie down.

As I've said before I think the squad is at the very upper limit in numbers but if there was to be any further turnaround in January I think I'd like to see more of a focus on that height and strength to help us be more 'streetwise'

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's not an area of the pitch I believe we need height in although defending corners etc would be a test and if we get dominated and concede from corners and free kicks then he'll obviously need to make changes. I think he can put the ball in the net though and we are funking struggling to do that.

Yeah, if there's one place I think you can afford to lack a bit of height it's the wide forward positions. Used to be a case full backs could be small as well but now forwards run into their channels rather than staying central so they've needed to become bigger and stronger on the whole as a result.

steve82

I can see I'm alone here.

Yep. Dazed and confused, by everyone else's lack of concern at the height issue!

I share your concerns.
We’re no threat at corners and could well come undone defending them too due to the lack of height in the side over a season. Obviously we don’t need a side of 6ft plus players but at least 6/7 as a minimum ideally need to be a good physical size in this league still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazed&confused

I share your concerns.
We’re no threat at corners and could well come undone defending them too due to the lack of height in the side over a season. Obviously we don’t need a side of 6ft plus players but at least 6/7 as a minimum ideally need to be a good physical size in this league still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

stevefloyd

The dilemma is that Robins has 2 players that can provide defence splitting passes for the likes of Chaplin in Bayliss and Andreu, now how he will fit them both into the same team is a dilemma

stupot07

The dilemma is that Robins has 2 players that can provide defence splitting passes for the likes of Chaplin in Bayliss and Andreu, now how he will fit them both into the same team is a dilemma
For me he can't fit both in. For me as much as I like Andreu, he's a luxury player and one which at the minute we can't really fit into the team, certainly not as a number 10.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
The only way he seems to be able to play Andreu is for the first 60 minutes and then he needs to go off.

He's the type of player that needs 2 in front of him to play them in, it's not as effective with Andreu playing off the big striker.

stupot07

The only way he seems to be able to play Andreu is for the first 60 minutes and then he needs to go off.

He's the type of player that needs 2 in front of him to play them in, it's not as effective with Andreu playing off the big striker.
Yeah, he would be great at the tip of a diamond.

Greggs

For me he can't fit both in. For me as much as I like Andreu, he's a luxury player and one which at the minute we can't really fit into the team, certainly not as a number 10.

Been saying that for 6 weeks

dazed&confused

Let's put Corey Addai on the wing.

So, Robins went with Shipley (6ft and not slight) on the left. And despite a whole lot of first half sniping against the guy on this site, it was his deflected shot, and his movement in the box that brought the penalty and ultimately a Coventry win. Credit to Robins for getting it right.

Last edited:

Skybluefaz

So, Robins went with Shipley (6ft and not slight) on the left. And despite a whole lot of first half sniping against the guy on this site, it was his deflected shot, and his movement in the box that brought the penalty and ultimately a Coventry win. Credit to Robins for getting it right.
Addai would have got 2

Cavan O'Doherty

Just because he did that doesn’t mean he’s devoid of any criticism. He was one of the worst players on our side for me along with Doyle. Good result but it still wasn’t great, hopefully this kickstarts our season.

dazed&confused

Just because he did that doesn’t mean he’s devoid of any criticism. He was one of the worst players on our side for me along with Doyle. Good result but it still wasn’t great, hopefully this kickstarts our season.

Actually, I think it does make him exempt from any criticism. He won us the game. But, we'll have to agree to differ on that.

Last edited:

Skybluefaz

:) I think he did score one while on loan at Dulwich Hamlet.
Indeed he did, in all seriousness, it was on the whole a better performance fro Shipley, he does hold his position well. He did get the goal and assist for winning the penalty so massive kudos for that. Not sure how much height played a part in the overall performance today. We just defended a corner badly, a team of Tyrion Lannister's would have done no worse at defending that corner. At home when we are expected to be on the front foot I think we maybe need a better attacking threat than JShipz.

ccfcway

So funny the 1st response to this isn’t an agreement, but a counter arguement. Not sure what MR had to do to get some credit

Users who are viewing this thread