Taking your own food/drink into the CBS (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

What's the policy of the club on this ? I've not had a season ticket since just before we moved to St Andrews. Back then in the depths of winter loads of older people took flasks etc for half time .
It being exceptionally hot last match I took a cheap, small supermarket bottle which I'd filled at home but was told by the steward the bottle and its contents had to be left outside the ground. The bloke behind me has 2 young kids and had made up some squash for them . Same for him, they couldn't take the drinks in .
Yet inside a fair few had those bottles rather like cyclists use or those who go to the gym use. A bit more expensive .
What is the policy exactly?

Happy_Martian

Not the club, this is purely down to the CBS Arena

Smacks of the Arena wanting to maximise sales. Kids can buy singular items outside the ground but no comment about amounts to buy inside.

"Visitors to our pre-match Family Zone, which will be located outside the Arena turnstiles, will continue to be able to use the tuck shop in the Family Zone, with stewards being advised by the Arena to use discretion for single items of sweets, crisps etc for young supporters"

JohnWH

Not the club, this is purely down to the CBS Arena

Smacks of the Arena wanting to maximise sales. Kids can buy singular items outside the ground but no comment about amounts to buy inside.

"Visitors to our pre-match Family Zone, which will be located outside the Arena turnstiles, will continue to be able to use the tuck shop in the Family Zone, with stewards being advised by the Arena to use discretion for single items of sweets, crisps etc for young supporters"
1694207356414.png
Info card from the link above for anyone curious

But are turnstile operators giving a patdown or what? Where did these flasks you mention come from

Alan Dugdales Moustache

View attachment 31796

But are turnstile operators giving a patdown or what? Where did these flasks you mention come from
Flasks were from the Wasps time. Loads of people took flasks of soup etc to warm up at half time where I sat. It was a half time ritual and has been around probably for decades at most grounds . It's sad to see this has to stop but I suppose it's all about maximising profit rather than health and safety issues.
Are they going to insist that some pensioner who has a flask of Bovril with him will not be allowed in unless he dispenses with not only the contents but the flask itself ? At the very least what harm can an empty flask do ? Sounds very harsh to me.

Last edited:

Happy_Martian

View attachment 31796

Stewards are supposed to check pockets and bags and remove prohibited items. But if you say the contents are medicinal, who are they to challenge you ? I doubt any of them have anything more than a general First Aid certificate.

Flying Fokker

What's the policy of the club on this ? I've not had a season ticket since just before we moved to St Andrews. Back then in the depths of winter loads of older people took flasks etc for half time .
It being exceptionally hot last match I took a cheap, small supermarket bottle which I'd filled at home but was told by the steward the bottle and its contents had to be left outside the ground. The bloke behind me has 2 young kids and had made up some squash for them . Same for him, they couldn't take the drinks in .
Yet inside a fair few had those bottles rather like cyclists use or those who go to the gym use. A bit more expensive .
What is the policy exactly?
I wonder, if I put a pair of dark sunglasses on , sang ‘welcome home’, and took a beautiful blonde woman along with me, I’d avoid the obligatory searching and removal of my belongings?

The stadium has rules that should be challenged. Why should we have to buy their produce?

The bottle rule is ridiculous.

‘If it were to be used as a projectile I’d not be using a bottle or can. Oh no, I’d use one of those Mother of All Mustard Bottles which are loaded and ready to deploy inside the stadium.

Saul Bollocks.

Last edited:

Hobo

My wife has never had her sky blue coloured Tic Tac's confiscated from her handbag.

Gynnsthetonic

Flasks were from the Wasps time. Loads of people took flasks of soup etc to warm up at half time where I sat. It was a half time ritual and has been around probably for decades at most grounds . It's sad to see this has to stop but I suppose it's all about maximising profit rather than health and safety issues.
Are they going to insist that some pensioner who has a flask of Bovril with him will not be allowed in unless he dispenses with not only the contents but the flask itself ? At the very least what harm can an empty flask do ? Sounds very harsh to me.
Hopefully some discretion here, I remember a few years ago a steward stopped and elderly couple from entering the ground with a flask, Tim Fisher to be fair went berserk about the steward and offered the couple a free pair of corporate tickets to the next match

Flying Fokker

On a personal level Fisher was a decent guy.
It’s a tough call for me. I only saw him at the ‘Two turkeys do not an eagle make’ meetings prior to the owners assuming we’d follow in Northampton. How pathetic was their stewardship of a great club? In isolation of course.

nightowl1883

I would mind not taking drink and food in if the queues were shorter. 30 mins to get served before the match last week so never bother at half time. The staff seem really slow and the layout of the kisoks is really poor meaning staff have to wander about to and from. They need to look at the layout of fast food outlets and make the service alot better.

BerksSB

They should do something about the queues too. Rather than letting the queues go right across in single file, blocking the concourse, could they get them to form one which snakes/feeds alongside itself as they do at airports when going through security?

joemercersaces

Hopefully some discretion here, I remember a few years ago a steward stopped and elderly couple from entering the ground with a flask, Tim Fisher to be fair went berserk about the steward and offered the couple a free pair of corporate tickets to the next match
A few years ago went to the old Dell at Southampton one bitter winter day with the old man who was about 63 then. Half time dad opened a hip flask with whiskey in it. One of their stewards told him to put it away. Old man told him to fuck off and nearly got arrested. Would have been one of the oldest banning orders.

chiefdave

Always find it a bit odd how much overpriced junk people can get through in a 2 hour visit to the stadium. The point about dopes of service is true though. I’ve given up even attempting a half time cuppa
A few years ago went to the old Dell at Southampton one bitter winter day with the old man who was about 63 then. Half time dad opened a hip flask with whiskey in it. One of their stewards told him to put it away. Old man told him to fuck off and nearly got arrested. Would have been one of the oldest banning orders.
remember that, didn’t they initially cancel the old boys season ticket and then it became a predictable PR disaster and they had to backtrack

Deity

If you can afford to pay at the CBS you should. If you can’t then by all means use the suggestions from others.

If we want the CBS to have better facilities and better concessions we have to use them.

Cheating the system just damages the financial model and results in worse facilities and higher prices.

It’s like people who take sweets into the cinema not realising that cinemas break even on films and it’s the drinks and sweets where they make a profit. Those same people then complain when their local cinema closes or puts the ticket prices up !

Alan Dugdales Moustache

If you can afford to pay at the CBS you should. If you can’t then by all means use the suggestions from others.

If we want the CBS to have better facilities and better concessions we have to use them.

Cheating the system just damages the financial model and results in worse facilities and higher prices.

It’s like people who take sweets into the cinema not realising that cinemas break even on films and it’s the drinks and sweets where they make a profit. Those same people then complain when their local cinema closes or puts the ticket prices up !
Cinemas cheating the public with extraordinary mark ups on sweets etc. I go next door to Tesco and buy there. If the cinema goes bust because of that then their strategy is completely wrong.
If enough people won't buy the food and beverages because of cost then there is something wrong with the financial model . I'd rather go without at the CBS because it's too expensive. If that harms their model then it's tough.

JohnWH

Why did I make the mistake to assume a flask must've meant hard liquor, rather than healthful soups or hot bovril and such

Deity

Cinemas cheating the public with extraordinary mark ups on sweets etc. I go next door to Tesco and buy there. If the cinema goes bust because of that then their strategy is completely wrong.
If enough people won't buy the food and beverages because of cost then there is something wrong with the financial model . I'd rather go without at the CBS because it's too expensive. If that harms their model then it's tough.
It’s a personal choice.

I think it’s incredibly short sighted but it’s still your choice.

You might stop to reflect on why pubs are closing in most villages, the high street is full of charity shops and vape / tattoo shops, etc ….

If people always choose the lowest cost option for them businesses fail and everyone ends up with crap facilities/ choices and Amazon growing like made whilst not paying their way in taxes.

It’s a short term win but in the medium term we are the authors of our own misfortune.

shmmeee

Yes, it wasn’t Netflix or improved home theatre systems that killed cinema, it was little Billy’s pick n mix 🤣

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes, it wasn’t Netflix or improved home theatre systems that killed cinema, it was little Billy’s pick n mix 🤣
I am boycotting the Showcase until they return Ice Blast to the slush machines rather than whatever generic stuff they use now. They have been told.

fernandopartridge

My god

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

pusbccfc

I always take the kids some sweets and a bottle of pop in. Bottle goes in their hoods, sweets in pocket, they cant be searched as too young

Now I know how the pyro gets in

Happy_Martian

If people always choose the lowest cost option for them businesses fail and everyone ends up with crap facilities/ choices and Amazon growing like made whilst not paying their way in taxes.

That argument works both ways though. Yes, businesses are struggling due to rising costs etc. But so are the members of public they are screwing over. We're not talking one man stalls or small businesses like you've highlighted. These are large organisations with significant shareholders.

The costs are not just for one game either. Over a 23 home game season, you'd pay £50-ish total to get a bottle of cola at each game in the CBS, compared to £25 from Tescos ? Double or treble that if you take kids. That makes a big difference as to how many games you can budget to attend.

So no doubt, fans will try and avail themselves of cheaper F&B options than face the raised prices within the CBS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread