Take a bow CCFC Academy (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

The staff deserve great credit for bringing through the kids. Yes majority don’t make it but we get the occasional star. Even taking those two out of the equation look at others that we can ‘call our own’ in last few seasons; shippers, Eccles, Burroughs the most recent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I was just trying to think of some of the bigger names to come through the academy in recent years. Goggled Gaël Bigirimana.

What the hell happened there?

1668101679050.png

slowpoke

Gael Bigirlmana is a classic case of leaving here too early he needed another twelve months in our first team, he was never good or experienced enough to go straight in the Newcastle first team, Bayliss the same at Preston, be warned Vik.

LastGarrison

A lad from Radford who went to President Kennedy, and another From Stoke/Wyken who went to Caludon Castle

We should be proud of the both of them
Cally have brought back Houses and have named them after famous Coventrians and one is now named after Maddison.

Imagine the buzz amongst those kids who are in Maddison house, and the school as a whole, as they go on to see ‘one of their own’ playing in a World Cup.

Hopefully it goes on to inspire the next generation.

Marty

Fair play to Wilson and Maddison, both have turned into excellent players, I didn't expect Wilson to become as good as he is though, thought he'd be a decent prem player. But with Maddison, you could tell he was going to be a star from his debut. What a phenomenal talent.

Fair play to Bayliss and Bigi though, both limited footballers who took the big pay day when it came along, I would have done the same tbh. If they have the right people around them, they'll both be set up for life from a 3/4 year contract.

The Philosopher

On the subject of academy graduates, what’s happened to Jordan Willis?

28 and without a club.

Has he got a career ending injury?

I always thought he’d be a good back up - particularly when at times we’ve had to play Dabo / Bidwell back 3

Marty

On the subject of academy graduates, what’s happened to Jordan Willis?

28 and without a club.

Has he got a career ending injury?

I always thought he’d be a good back up - particularly when at times we’ve had to play Dabo / Bidwell back 3

Yeah, had a problem with his knee I think, does scouting or coaching for Sunderland last time I heard.

slowpoke

Yeah but Baylis going t Preston was a step sideways tbf…..
He was another who needed to stay play and develop regularly for whatever reason didn’t happen at PNE now at Shrewsbury still only. 23 so should have a decent career ahead of him, did he chase the dollar or was he sisu pushed though.

Gibbo

'Take a bow' whoever was running the Academy 10-14 years ago, because since Maddison they have delivered diddly squat.

Bayliss (league 1 level eventually), Shipley (definitely League 1 level). Eccles and Burroughs (Jury's out). Not much use to you if you are a poverty stricken club playing one level above the standard that the few 1st team players that the Academy has produced are performing at.

We have a production line for players to go to the likes of Hamilton Academicals - Ngandu was one of the Academy's brightest prospects. Bapaga did not make it at Grimsby (Tier 5 at the time).

I appreciate the nature of the game is that you only need one big star occaisionally to make big money, but Bayliss is the only player we have made serious money on in the last 5-6 years.

The time to ask questions about a) the management b) even the basic principle / business model

judgement on results?

slowpoke

One of the very few beneficiaries of SISU cutting to the bone from 11/12... got an opportunity to play when he was not ready & the shop window got him the Newcastle contract.
I think one or two did poor old Lee Burge was far too young when pushed into the first team.

Gibbo

He was another who needed to stay play and develop regularly for whatever reason didn’t happen at PNE now at Shrewsbury still only. 23 so should have a decent career ahead of him, did he chase the dollar or was he sisu pushed though.
Bayliss has now been evaluated by four clubs - Cov, Preston, Wigan and Shrewsbury. I think he has found his level. I am disappointed too, as I thought he would go higher.

PVA

I knew the very first time I saw Maddison (a pre season friendly at Barnet against Watford, when he looked about 13 years old) that he would go right to the top. It was so obvious, I'd never seen anything like it).

I got it wrong with Wilson though, as good as he was for us I never thought he would go on to be a regular Premier League striker. Fair play to him.

Congratulations to both, and to the club.

rexo87

'Take a bow' whoever was running the Academy 10-14 years ago, because since Maddison they have delivered diddly squat.

Bayliss (league 1 level eventually), Shipley (definitely League 1 level). Eccles and Burroughs (Jury's out). Not much use to you if you are a poverty stricken club playing one level above the standard that the few 1st team players that the Academy has produced are performing at.

We have a production line for players to go to the likes of Hamilton Academicals - Ngandu was one of the Academy's brightest prospects. Bapaga did not make it at Grimsby (Tier 5 at the time).

I appreciate the nature of the game is that you only need one big star occaisionally to make big money, but Bayliss is the only player we have made serious money on in the last 5-6 years.

The time to ask questions about a) the management b) even the basic principle / business model

judgement on results?
Comes with the territory of being a championship side now. We have Eccles who is a regular now and also Burroughs who is a good prospect on the fringes. 2 in the first team squad at this level is not bad

shmmeee

What you’ve got to remember is there’s a huge lag with the academy. Maddison et al would have started while we were in the Championship id expect. What were getting now would have joined at our lowest point when there were other midlands clubs at much higher levels. If we can stick around in this division for another three or four seasons (or go higher) I think we’ll start to see more quality come through as we are more attractive.

slowpoke

judgement on results?
Ngandu had an illness which kept him out at a vital age for about a year, things like that and injuries there’s little control over.
Academies are rarely going to produced a string of international players but ccfc have a good record of Acadamy graduates earning playing football, a couple a season is good some years are better than others. Thierry Katsukunya was sold for a decent fee as 16 year old to Villa last season, similarly Charlie McCann three or four years ago to Manchester United these deals go on a lot behind the scenes, we are a selling club at all ages,

The Philosopher

There’s such a huge leap from u21s football to the Championship it’s sometimes difficult for academy graduates to get a manager willing to give them a break in the first team.

Reading books and listening to podcasts of old pros like Hutch / Houch / Benno they seem to all lament the days of the Central League where young players would line up along and against seasoned pros.

My take is that reserve team men’s leagues fell by the wayside a little bit because of the EU play anywhere rule. Clubs would recruit some players from all over Europe that had played competitive football. It’s not so easy to sign a Hilssner or Jobello or Kasta or Da Costa (might be a good thing) or a Hamer (exception of course) (not sure if he could have under new rules - someone else might know - U20 int?)

Things have changed, a good example is that German defender that we were stopped from signing.

Going forward I think there is a good argument for bringing back a competitive reserve league to make sure home grown talent get a taste of playing against a Waghorn or Walker, and a Waghorn or Walker gets 60 mins of getting half decent match fitness.

A Burroughs level or Eccles level player could be better assessed against a Waghorn equivalent and our coaching team could asses better.

Rightly or wrongly, the days of clubs at our or L1 level (I’m not on about the parachute clubs - different thing) bringing in half oven-ready players has gone and we are going to have to rely heavily on home grown talent.

Is it time to reformat and extend the JPT or something to a bigger group phase or recreate a Central league?

Gibbo

Ngandu had an illness which kept him out at a vital age for about a year, things like that and injuries there’s little control over.
Academies are rarely going to produced a string of international players but ccfc have a good record of Acadamy graduates earning playing football, a couple a season is good some years are better than others. Thierry Katsukunya was sold for a decent fee as 16 year old to Villa last season, similarly Charlie McCann three or four years ago to Manchester United these deals go on a lot behind the scenes, we are a selling club at all ages,

But I do mind better than zero Championship level level players for the Club. Altho Eccles might do. This is just excuses, excuses, excuses for something fans have a romantic attachment to but costs money

Even tho' they are currently talking to Crewe about setting one up, Brentford have got to the Prem without having a youthprogramme at all, while Watford have an elabortae one and are.....

slowpoke

With respect pal I don’t think you know what you are talking about, as I’ve said it’s lucky if you get two a year get a pro contract and as I’ve mentioned there’s two players McCann and Tierrey been transferred out. There’s another one Che Adams at Southampton too started here moved on and eventually sold by Brum for £15million.

NorthernWisdom

With respect pal I don’t think you know what you are talking about, as I’ve said it’s lucky if you get two a year get a pro contract and as I’ve mentioned there’s two players McCann and Tierrey been transferred out. There’s another one Che Adams at Southampton too started here moved on and eventually sold by Brum for £15million.
Che Adams isn't the best advert for our academy, as we let him go!

Frostie

But I do mind better than zero Championship level level players for the Club. Altho Eccles might do. This is just excuses, excuses, excuses for something fans have a romantic attachment to but costs money

Even tho' they are currently talking to Crewe about setting one up, Brentford have got to the Prem without having a youthprogramme at all, while Watford have an elabortae one and are.....

After the introduction of EPPP, Brentford (and others) decided it simply wasn't in their interests to invest in developing young players only to have them poached by bigger clubs for a fraction of their true worth. As with pretty much everything in football, it's all dictated by the Premier League & what is best for them. It is not a surprise that now Brentford are in the PL they have decided they want back in as EPPP is now to their benefit.

It is like this government's idea of 'trickle down economics' i.e. horse shit.

Users who are viewing this thread