Tactics (1 Viewer)

speedie87

We can't play with a diamond with baker in bell in it away from home........Ipswich had far to much space.......

if we are to play a diamond we need to fairly defensive players....deegan/thomas/bigi/cligan

and then just one of macca/ baker / bell at the top.

and if you ask me that's still asking for trouble

ps baker is nowhere near good enough.

Woz01

Me and my mate was having the same discussion, we are in need of a Deegan type player especially away from home! Also Mcsheffrey and Bell are not doing it so we need a new AM.

stupot07

I do think the diamond is the best formation for the players we have got. Tonight we got beat by a better team full of better players.

speedie87

not slagging off the formation as much as the type of player, playing in it.

baker was constantly ahead of the ball and so was bell leaving just clingan and biggie against bullard,bowyer,andrews and the 2 full backs.....nightmare. Bet Ipswich couldn't believe how much space there was.

pusbccfc

HE NEEDS TO PLAY BAKER IN HIS PROPER POSITION
He's a attacking midfielder not a left midfielder, his left foots woeful so why put him left mid when he also has no pace!
He scored 14 goals before jan before he came to cov in CAM not left mid.
He was great when he first came, but Aidy ruined him.

stupot07

who else is there? Deegan's injured, Thomas is just a kid, and we miss gunnar's physical presence and directness. We desperately need 1 or 2 players in on loan.

It didn't help that Ipswich played very narrow in midfield, with 4 CMs which meant we had no space to play our passing football. We have been dominating possession approx 55%:45% in most games this season, but tonight we just couldn't get the passing going.

stupot07

HE NEEDS TO PLAY BAKER IN HIS PROPER POSITION
He's a attacking midfielder not a left midfielder, his left foots woeful so why put him left mid when he also has no pace!
He scored 14 goals before jan before he came to cov in CAM not left mid.
He was great when he first came, but Aidy ruined him.

He's not playing LM, he's playing LCM. Any Thorn played him in the hole a couple of times last season and he was woeful, often playing as deep as Clingan. The best he played for us, was coming on last 20 mins on the right wing under colemen against tiring defenders.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yea i love how most of our fans said Gunnar is no loss, I am not bothered if he goes or stays. I would love to have Gunnarsson back at our club now, was clearly our 2nd best midfielder after Clingan.

Lord_Nampil

The problem is gunner was never replaced! So course he is missed, yes biggy has come in but we really need a
Body in to replace him! I do think AT shud have got one in instead of 2 gks!!! We also need another left bk Hussey needs the competition !!!

stupot07

I think the Derby game vindicated Thorns decision in bringing in two gk's, and remember both were on a free, with us to pay compo to Northampton for Dunn. I agree that we should have replaced Gunnar, but it depends on who's available, and how much they will cost, and perhaps Thorn brought it in the gk's then the board then told him there was no more money. I'm sure Thorn would have brought some more outfield players in if he had funds available.

Nonleagueherewecome

Copied from the McSheffrey thread as I think I'm right and it belongs in here :p

Part of it is the shape-Aron did fulfil that RCM perfectly in terms of positioning, and closed down better than we are doing at present in it; Bell was fit and added balance at LCM; and those two were much more narrow with Sammy 4 yards further up the pitch. That gave us a platform and McSheffrey linked with the full backs and the midfield and strikers-giving us an overload situation almost constantly.

This season:
--------------DMC---------------Line1
--RCM---------------------------Line2
------------------------LCM-----Line3
--------------AMC---------------Line4
----------------------------------Line5
--------ST-----------ST--------Line6

Last season:

--------------------------------Line1
-------------DMC--------------Line2
-----RCM-----------LCM------Line3
--------------------------------Line4
-------------AMC--------------Line5
------ST-------------ST-------Line6

The AMC in last years shape is surrounded by teamates, closer to the strikers, and with a firm foundation of a compact 3 CM's behind him. Now. the entire diamond is sat "one back" on last season, leaving a gap to the strikers. All the RCM and LCM serve to do in this shape is serve as pivots of possesion to the full-backs-who ever turn back and pass it inside to Sammy, or whack in a long cross.

McSheffrey can make a difference-if he's fit and used in the position he was last year. But we need an energetic midfielder who is capable of closing down in a narrow 3 CM's. I hope and pray Deegan can be that man, cos there aint no-one else.

Another thing is-with our midfield spread out, a lot more passes are long rather than short and nippy, one-two's, etc. I think I've seen 1 through ball down the middle on the floor to feet all season. The longer the pass, the easier it is for defences to move into position. Quick, snappy passing-achieved with players within short passing length of each other-allows movement and runs off the ball, creating space. THIS is McSheffrey and Bells game, but we are not playing that formation and style anymore.

Nonleagueherewecome

The problem is gunner was never replaced! So course he is missed, yes biggy has come in but we really need a
Body in to replace him! I do think AT shud have got one in instead of 2 gks!!! We also need another left bk Hussey needs the competition !!!

We needed ALL of those-2 keepers, a replacement for O'Halloran (who we didn't sign because he was shite..we hoped he'd be good, so we need to replace him with someone else we hope may be good!), and a replacement for Aron-if not Doyle/Carsley in terms of ball-winning midfielders. It's the physical CM we are missing most of all. But even so, with the players we have our shape needs to be better-and can be more like last season with a bit of tweaking.

Nonleagueherewecome

Oh come on, a bit of feedback..that took me ages. Tactics, innit? At least someone make a patronising comment about how I've played too much Football Manager.

Seriously, look at my pretty picture, then watch the highlights on SKY in a bit. We have huge gaps where our midfield used to be positioned, where Ipswich played 4 Prem veterans.

Simple, no?

wingy

We needed ALL of those-2 keepers, a replacement for O'Halloran (who we didn't sign because he was shite..we hoped he'd be good, so we need to replace him with someone else we hope may be good!), and a replacement for Aron-if not Doyle/Carsley in terms of ball-winning midfielders. It's the physical CM we are missing most of all. But even so, with the players we have our shape needs to be better-and can be more like last season with a bit of tweaking.
GRAHAM ALEXANDER long in the tooth he may be but seasoned pro and most importantly a leader and winner free during the simmer and would have played for peanuts

Nonleagueherewecome

And a player who can play RB or CM, with fantastic positioning. Always rated him, would have been great for the kids. Possibly more of a replacement for Carsley than Aron, but would have been very handy. I worry about the kids' heads dropping now.

stupot07

Copied from the McSheffrey thread as I think I'm right and it belongs in here :p

Part of it is the shape-Aron did fulfil that RCM perfectly in terms of positioning, and closed down better than we are doing at present in it; Bell was fit and added balance at LCM; and those two were much more narrow with Sammy 4 yards further up the pitch. That gave us a platform and McSheffrey linked with the full backs and the midfield and strikers-giving us an overload situation almost constantly.

This season:
--------------DMC---------------Line1
--RCM---------------------------Line2
------------------------LCM-----Line3
--------------AMC---------------Line4
----------------------------------Line5
--------ST-----------ST--------Line6

Last season:

--------------------------------Line1
-------------DMC--------------Line2
-----RCM-----------LCM------Line3
--------------------------------Line4
-------------AMC--------------Line5
------ST-------------ST-------Line6

The AMC in last years shape is surrounded by teamates, closer to the strikers, and with a firm foundation of a compact 3 CM's behind him. Now. the entire diamond is sat "one back" on last season, leaving a gap to the strikers. All the RCM and LCM serve to do in this shape is serve as pivots of possesion to the full-backs-who ever turn back and pass it inside to Sammy, or whack in a long cross.

McSheffrey can make a difference-if he's fit and used in the position he was last year. But we need an energetic midfielder who is capable of closing down in a narrow 3 CM's. I hope and pray Deegan can be that man, cos there aint no-one else.

Another thing is-with our midfield spread out, a lot more passes are long rather than short and nippy, one-two's, etc. I think I've seen 1 through ball down the middle on the floor to feet all season. The longer the pass, the easier it is for defences to move into position. Quick, snappy passing-achieved with players within short passing length of each other-allows movement and runs off the ball, creating space. THIS is McSheffrey and Bells game, but we are not playing that formation and style anymore.

Very good nonleague but would go as far to say that bigi is also playin on line 1 with clingan at the moment. I think that is also why bell looks isolated and too deep at the tip. It's not just gunnars physical presence and closing down we miss, Gunnar also brought the ball out of midfield and then made a forward run after passing it giving an addition forward option and creating space. Bell, baker and bigi in particular make a pass and just stand square. Opposition midfielders don't need to worry about tracking forward runs from midfield because we don't make many.

And I don't think we should be relying on deegan - i agree he has the attributes but he needs to get fit and play 30+ games in a season before we can start relying on him.

Macca

Oh come on, a bit of feedback..that took me ages. Tactics, innit? At least someone make a patronising comment about how I've played too much Football Manager.

Seriously, look at my pretty picture, then watch the highlights on SKY in a bit. We have huge gaps where our midfield used to be positioned, where Ipswich played 4 Prem veterans.

Simple, no?

you are playing too much football manager :D

Users who are viewing this thread