Match Thread Swindon Town Friendly (1 Viewer)

KenilworthSkyBlue

If we can can get better I'd say go for it but out of the current squad he's our best option as a lb in a back 4 as things stand. As we have Giles though i'd say it's unlikely Robins will be looking for any Lwb/lb this off season.

I wouldn't say it's a priority by any means and there's no sense replacing him unless Robins knows it's guaranteed he can bring in better. I like Mason and genuinely at the beginning of last season I thought he was potentially a shoe in for Player of the Season. But he needs to accept that on probably most occasions, Robins might consider Giles as the better option due to his preferred system. Something which I think he struggled with last season confidence and attitude-wise. He's young so that's hardly inexcusable.

Whilst another LB may not be brought in, we may bring in a left sided CB who can also play LB. Could be why (if it's true) we enquired about the possibility of loaning in Panzo, as he can play in both positions I believe. Although then again with Sheaf potentially coming in, or at least someone of his ilk who can play both CDM and CB, Robins may no longer be pursuing a versatile CB who can also slot into LB. We'll certainly find out over the coming weeks anyway.

Last edited:

Offhegoes

Wasn't Mason shunted out after 1 bad performance at Rotherham (although I think he was coming back from injury in that game). I too like Mason, he's quick, and can pick a pass, but I guess he's just not physical enough for Robins. Grimmer was similar, neat and tidy and got forward well, but he shirked out of tackles and indirectly was to blame for a lot of goals (see both Notts County goals in Play Off Semi's)

Great_Expectations

Quite pleased I wasn’t around for this on Saturday, quite a lot of negativity.

To balance that; if fitness and match sharpness are our biggest concerns, I think we’ll be ok. Fitness and sharpness are easily improved, technical ability isn’t.

covboy1987

Quite pleased I wasn’t around for this on Saturday, quite a lot of negativity.

To balance that; if fitness and match sharpness are our biggest concerns, I think we’ll be ok. Fitness and sharpness are easily improved, technical ability isn’t.

Best thing to do is look back at the last two years pre -season friendlies - bit of a mixed bag - all about fitness

2018- 2019

Friendly
2–0
Coventry CityshowSutton
13 July 2018Friendly
Coventry City
3–1
Everton U23sshowCartagena, Spain
17 July 2018Friendly
1–2
Coventry CityshowBodymoor Heath
21 July 2018Friendly
2–0
Coventry CityshowStevenag

25 July 2018Friendly
Coventry City
0–1
Derby CountyshowNuneaton
28 July 2018Regis Shield
5–2
Coventry CityshowWest Bromwich

2019-2020

Friendly
0–4
Coventry CityshowLeamington Spa
12 July 2019Friendly
Coventry City
1–1
Northampton TownshowSan Pedro del Pinatar, Spain

20 July 2019Friendly
1–1
Coventry CityshowTelford
24 July 2019Friendly
Coventry City
0–0
Liverpool Under-23sshowRugby

27 July 2019Friendly
0–2
Coventry CityshowSwindon

Sky Blue Harry H

Wasn't Mason shunted out after 1 bad performance at Rotherham (although I think he was coming back from injury in that game). I too like Mason, he's quick, and can pick a pass, but I guess he's just not physical enough for Robins. Grimmer was similar, neat and tidy and got forward well, but he shirked out of tackles and indirectly was to blame for a lot of goals (see both Notts County goals in Play Off Semi's)

To be fair to him, I think Grimmer was fouled in the away leg for their goal.

Reactions: vow

covcity4life

The knives aren't out for Hilsner. People are just asking questions about his fitness.
Bit its clouding judgement mate

It's 1 thing to say he has a tummy

Bit of then makes you ignore good passes and panic over a bad pass then that's when it becomes ludicrous

You might not be doing the above but many posters did in the match thread

Users who are viewing this thread