'Supporters' (1 Viewer)

tippex9

Now before I make my point, I know we pays our money and we're long suffering but I went Barnsley Saturday and quite frankly fed up of some of the supporters attitudes.

Now, I always enjoyed away games because fans were more supportive and vocal but now they're getting like the moaning home crowd.

During the game I heard continued abuse of Murphy, O'Donovan, McSheffrey, Jutkiewicz, Hussey, Bell, Platt and Clingan. Now I don't want to get into who's good, bad or indifferent because our league position proves we lack quality and I'm not a fan of some of them myself but I have a couple of questions....

1) what does constant criticism do for a players confidence which must already be low with only one win?

2) if you don't like the players in or around the team now, do you suggest we reach down to the u18s? Because rumours aside theres no loans coming in FACT.

3) Thorn out?? Really?? You do realise they gave the job in-house so they don't have an extra wage, if Thorn goes it'll probably be Oggy next since Harrison don't want to be the gaffer. Even if they did stretch to getting someone in they could get Sir Alex and with the squad you all hate so much, what would he achieve???

The weird part about it is, I've always criticised the young 'Chav fan' element but they sang all game, keeping it lighthearted and fun. I was surrounded by men 40+ giving the players dogs abuse. I remember the abuse Bellamy, Best, Bothroyd, Ward and Barrett got, look where they all play now!

I'll continue with my season ticket and going to away games I can fit in around work win, lose or draw without slating players who are largely not good enough but still wear the shirt and are trying. The problem purely is lack of investment. We have what we have, that's not going to change anytime soon.

Macca

its called alcohol and frustration. Don't go to football matches expecting constructive debate. :p

I could never level criticism at anybody who is prepared to put their money in their pockets and travel away to watch this bunch. Certainly better supporters than me

ccfctommy

Haven't been to an away game yet this season, but normally our away support is quite good.

Suprised by this, was there 'Thorn Out' chants at Barnsley? Sat in Block 16 for the Blackpool game and was suprised by the adbuse meted out to Bell.

Tippex one question. What player(s) would you say played well Saturday?

If they have a bad game the fans are naturally going to get frustrated. They get paid enough to take criticism. My personal feelings are when you go to game you feel frustrated by watching drivel and are bound to get annoyed. It’s called having passion, shame the players Saturday didn;t show any passion or fight.

tippex9

No there were no Thorn out chants just occasional shouted comments.

ashbyjan

I have found that at away games the support is usually far more passionate and pro the team than at the Ricoh where, I am sure, some fans turn up for a good moan and are almost disappointed if we play well as there us nothing for them to winge about. Still I suppose we are at least keeping them "happy" with the performances this year at least

Good post tippex. I'm constantly getting fed up of it myself. Our travelling support has always been better so that's a shame.

I get the impression that the vast majority of City fans can see the bigger picture now and are behind Thorn, knowing what he has to work with, but there's just no helping some.*

tippex9

In answer to your question, I couldn't pick a man of the match Saturday but my point is identifying a lack of quality over a lack of effort. The bare fact is these players ain't good enough no matter how well they play, add to that a fear factor of negative reaction then expecting good performances is wishful thinking.

You mention passion, that can be displayed in many ways not neccessarily by screaming at and booing players for a missed pass here and there. Personally I'd rather join in with the singing passionately.

They don't get paid to be criticised, they get paid to play football and none of them are being paid massively. However I accept it comes with the job, my point is apart from fans 'getting it off their chest' what does it ultimately achieve other than below standard players performing even worse than what they're capable of...?

Fair point but there weren’t any booing during the game Saturday, shouts of disgruntled fans yes but no booing. The team second half lacked any fight or passion and seemed to be playing with the motions. I accept no player is paid to be critcised but say the big earners are on anything between 6k and 10k a week for example, Clingan, McSheffrey, Keogh, Craine, Bell, Juke. They earn more in a month then 90% of the fans in stands do in a year.

tippex9

Agree with you again, but they earn that money over a shorter career than the rest of us so doesn't guarantee them a wealthy lifestyle but I'm sure they're not uncomfortable either. Also I'd be surprised if they're near 10k but we're both kind of guesstimating on the figures.

If wage size permits criticism I've got some ex-bosses to catch up with ;)

Agree with you again, but they earn that money over a shorter career than the rest of us so doesn't guarantee them a wealthy lifestyle but I'm sure they're not uncomfortable either. Also I'd be surprised if they're near 10k but we're both kind of guesstimating on the figures.

If wage size permits criticism I've got some ex-bosses to catch up with ;)

LOL Same as, the point i'm trying to make is the football business is all about entertainment. Away this season we have been poor and people spending alot of money have not had value. Yes i know they can't gurantee entertaining football but away so far we have been very short-changed

tippex9

Can't argue with that, I just see it as the board have turned us into a Ford KAs when we're racing against Subaru's. You can expect more from the car and thrape it but you ain't going to get more and ultimately you're fighting a losing battle.

Yes agree, sad state of affairs on and off and thats why the attendances are falling at home and away as well. Barnsley going back in years would easily attract a thousand, according to the figures only 700 were there Saturday.

ashbyjan

Over estimating their tippex9 - this board has turned us into a Reliant Regal van with a flat front wheel. On side is written Dulieus Independent Company Koventry

tippex9

Yes it was massively down, highlight of my day was when the kids sang 'let's pretend we scored a goal' then went nuts. Guarantees the feeling of a goal even if we don't score one lol. Maybe we could convince Geoff Foster atleast lol

Macca

Have to make a point for anyone who criticises our fans. I've said it before but players get as easier ride here than anywhere I know. Have lived and visited all around the U.K and sat in the home ends of many grounds to get a foot fix over the years. Compared to some of the vile comments, abuse etc I've heard our fans are pussycats

Ashdown

When you KNOW they are rubbish and they don't dissapoint you, I don't know where you find the money and enthusiasm to keep going anyway. You need to break the habit, its not a cheap one!!!:D

brinner

Yes it was massively down, highlight of my day was when the kids sang 'let's pretend we scored a goal' then went nuts. Guarantees the feeling of a goal even if we don't score one lol. Maybe we could convince Geoff Foster atleast lol
that was fucking embarrasing!

MatthewWallis

I understand moaning don't help but if someone's a 'footballer' And they're playing terribly week in, week out what do you want us to do give them a clap and say well done?

Do you know the difference between CCFC fans and CCFC players?

CCFC players get out after 3/4 years. CCFC fans are stuck with the same old shite football for life.

TheSnoz

A few seasons back we travelled just up the road to Stoke. What, 70 miles. Hour and a bit. There were about 400 City fans huddled in one end. They looked freezing cold and lost in banks of empty seats. I sat on the side as I always do for away games. I admire the spirit of a lot of fans who travel away, but wouldn't want to be in the middle of them. The antics of some, tanked up on beer (and a few other things I'm sure) have to be seen to be believed. The pure bile that comes out of a few of them. But we played ok and Dele got one and Mifsud a couple & we won 3-1 and the Stoke fans around me were pure evil towards their own players. So much hatred. I do wonder about football fans sometimes, the ones who make the loudest noise are often the ones who won't remember the game afterwards. Beer and a 'day out' for them. Screaming abuse at their own players is all part of their 'craic.'
I just wonder if those Stoke fans (and I've heard similar down the decades round the country) are giving Crouch and Pennant abuse this week. Things can turn around. Back then I was hoping we'd sneak into the Playoffs and Stoke were going nowhere.

I was at that game snoz. Stoke fans giving it the large one outside. We played well that day and the stoke ground was more than half empty and now look at them.

rickyCCFC

You're joking? I thought it was brilliant! Certainly made a large section of us laugh

It was cringey and embarrassing. 'Lets pretend we scored a goal' Why? Just belt out songs like we usually do instead of making ourselves a laughing stock lads. The average age of the City fans at the back of the stand was about 15 and it showed.

pusbccfc

There's no thorn out chants in B15

Only continuous chants of
Thorn thorn
Andy andy thorn
He's got no hair but we don't care
Andy andy thorn

Nonleagueherewecome

Thorn thorn
Andy andy thorn
Andy andy thorn

Love 'em, keep 'em coming-I join in on my own in B21, usually get a few joining in if we're playing well and/or the goons have just confiscated some banners...:whistle:

Astute

It was cringey and embarrassing. 'Lets pretend we scored a goal' Why? Just belt out songs like we usually do instead of making ourselves a laughing stock lads. The average age of the City fans at the back of the stand was about 15 and it showed.

In a way I can agree but...

To me, an away game is different. The reason we go to an away game is to watch a game. Same as when we go to a home game. We also go to away games to have fun. I have a laugh on the way there. Special coke on the way. Have a smile on my face by the time I get there. Then pub crawl, having a laugh with the natives. Try to stand up straight to get into the ground. If we are getting hammered I have been known to join in with the home fans songs :D More drink on the way back to Cov. Either drown sorrows or celebrate when back in Cov. An away game can cost me more than a season ticket. Why should I not enjoy myself whatever the result? It is a day out. The day out is better with a win of course, but you make your own fun. If the youngsters had a way of having a bit of fun then fair play to them. They could be bothered to go. How much pocket money did they save up to go? People love going to away games with me. If you couldn't make many games each season you would want to enjoy the ones you could get to. Maybe the youngsters are the same. Some people need to lighten up. Have fun. Remember, you are ambassadors of CCFC. We are normally welcome back everywhere we go.

Rant over. Had too much to drink to remember what I have put and to be serious :p

Astute

Thorn thorn
Andy andy thorn
Andy andy thorn

Brings back memories of Greggy Downs. The first time he played for us I thought we had signed a pensioner. His first touch of the ball for us was when the ball skidded off the top of his head :D He got stick for a couple of games until we saw he was a decent player.

blueflint

encouragement is required for all players the club owners must take the blame and the city itself for the lack of support :blue:

Astute

Our players need all the help they can get. You will never see me calling any of them badly. You might get the occasional shout like "you f****ng t**t" or "you f*****g lazy Bar stood" All heat of the moment things only. I am a CCFC supporter. I go to games to support my team, not give our opponents an advantage.

TheSnoz

Mumford, you must have been one of those hardy 400! Yeah we seem to have sneaked a result or two at Stoke. Bothroyd got a couple of absolute belters for us a few years ago in a win there. & the cup run of course. Though saw us hammered 4-0 in the 80s & Tom English & Mark Hately were sat in front of us & all they did was eat crisps for 90 minutes & giggle like schoolgirls. The win really cut them up. & that 1-0 win to stay up in the 80s when they missed a pen in last minute. Stoke must be the coldest ground in England - the new one.
Hey I'm all for people enjoying themselves as long as they don't bother anybody, but honestly some of our fans can hardly stand up - there's no way they could be a true judge of whether somebody's putting in a shift and yet they are the ones giving Bell and others pretty awful abuse. Little wonder there's a gap between players and fans.

hackneyfox

Yes it was massively down, highlight of my day was when the kids sang 'let's pretend we scored a goal' then went nuts.

Superb support, I remember the McLintock years at Leicester and everyone going wild when we got a corner. I think we score about 24 goals all season, certainly seemed like it.

Users who are viewing this thread