Supermarket shortages (4 Viewers)

skyblueinBaku

I also harvest basil and spinach seeds and butternut squash last year (will see how that does). Been using the seeds from one basil plant for about 5 years now (their offspring, not the original seed). The downside is having to put up with the mess for a month or so as they go to seed. Nasturtium and marigold also easy.
We've grown nasturtiums for a few years. They self-seed so well that it's a lot of work to get rid of the majority of new plants.

OffenhamSkyBlue

My sister takes my 89-year-old mum shopping every week. She is insisting on carrying on as normal (I lived through the blitz, etc, etc), but i think she's going to get a bit of a rude awakening on Friday morning at 10 o'clock!

OffenhamSkyBlue

I also harvest basil and spinach seeds and butternut squash last year (will see how that does). Been using the seeds from one basil plant for about 5 years now (their offspring, not the original seed). The downside is having to put up with the mess for a month or so as they go to seed. Nasturtium and marigold also easy.
I've never really bothered saving seed, etc. Seems more trouble than it's worth, and there is a risk of them not coming up "true" (especially for F1 hybrids), as well as potential for disease.
Also never thought of buying seeds off eBay - do you get the main producers? King are very good, apparently, though their range of cultivars isn't as wide as some.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I was up Asda in walsgrave as the wife asked me to do a beer run. Not as chaotic as I thought but not much fresh stuff

24 bud for £12 , she wanted a case of coors and we picked up a couple of bottles of wine

Marty

Just been back in, Sainsbury's looks like it's been raised, what the fuck happened overnight?

In slightly more interesting news, I bumped into our star right wing back. He's smaller then I thought.

mrtrench

In slightly more interesting news, I bumped into our star right wing back. He's smaller then I thought.

So when you bumped into him, did you fall over and roll around on the floor with your hands over your face?

shmmeee

Just been back in, Sainsbury's looks like it's been raised, what the fuck happened overnight?

Did he go in hard on a 50:50 with an old lady over the last bag of pasta?

Gazolba

But right now people are buying too much. I'm not condoning it at all . What you are saying is if people stuck to their normal shopping patterns there wouldn't be a problem . That's obvious.<snip>.
How can you 'stick to your normal shopping patterns' when you are advised not to leave your house?
It only makes sense to stock up at least a 2-weeks supply.

lifeskyblue

I've never really bothered saving seed, etc. Seems more trouble than it's worth, and there is a risk of them not coming up "true" (especially for F1 hybrids), as well as potential for disease.
Also never thought of buying seeds off eBay - do you get the main producers? King are very good, apparently, though their range of cultivars isn't as wide as some.

Tend to grow heritage varieties at the allotment. Save most seed year on year apart from potatoes and onions (grow from sets) and lettuce...just too fiddly. I replenish one or two sets of seed every couple years to ensure they stay ‘true’. Just hope we have a good growing year this year.

Just pulled up some rhubarb for a crumble tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OffenhamSkyBlue

Tend to grow heritage varieties at the allotment. Save most seed year on year apart from potatoes and onions (grow from sets) and lettuce...just too fiddly. I replenish one or two sets of seed every couple years to ensure they stay ‘true’. Just hope we have a good growing year this year.

Just pulled up some rhubarb for a crumble tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reminds me to pull some - it's trying to push the tile off the top of the chimneypot at the moment!!

D

Deleted member 4439

Exactly the same with my mum mate.

It’s not for the government to control these selfish pricks though, it’s their own moral compass (risky leaving it to that I know !!) and as JHF says, the supermarkets themselves. They know what stock they have in/available, it’s not hard to restrict to 2 or 3 of a certain item. They have taken steps to ensure more staff are focussed on keeping the shelves stocked up but need to take action as elderly are going without

ps As I’ve said though, it will settle down in the coming days. I just hope the hoarders get a dose of karma at some stage !

I don't quite get the idea of no more than 3 of an item as per Sainsvurys announcement. Is that 3 tins of Heinz Chicken Soup, 3 tins of C&B Chicken Soup, 3 tins Oxtail Soup etc, 10 x 3 different sizes and brands of tea etc, so you can still walk out with 57 or so varieties of a product?

mrtrench

Just put the potatoes in today. Sowed the kale; broccoli; beetroot and others a week ago in the greenhouse and I've spotted them peeping out today! Parsnips and carrots sowed outdoors at the same time and no sight of them yet.

NorthernWisdom

I don't quite get the idea of no more than 3 of an item as per Sainsvurys announcement. Is that 3 tins of Heinz Chicken Soup, 3 tins of C&B Chicken Soup, 3 tins Oxtail Soup etc, 10 x 3 different sizes and brands of tea etc, so you can still walk out with 57 or so varieties of a product?
Morrison's were doing a deal if you bought six tins of soup yesterday, which meant I ended up panic buying by shopping 'normally'!

The unfortunate thing is if you have to shop for your parents as well as your own family...

OffenhamSkyBlue

Will be putting the spuds in at the weekend (nicely chitted now), but soil still a bit cold and wet for things like parsnips and carrots. Over-wintered a few rows of broad bean (Aquadulce Claudia), but they have taken a battering in the storms, so i'll get some more sown in the next week or two. Peas next too. Still harvesting purple sprouting and rainbow chard.

mrtrench

Will be putting the spuds in at the weekend (nicely chitted now), but soil still a bit cold and wet for things like parsnips and carrots. Over-wintered a few rows of broad bean (Aquadulce Claudia), but they have taken a battering in the storms, so i'll get some more sown in the next week or two. Peas next too. Still harvesting purple sprouting and rainbow chard.

Same with me with the broad beans - I think I still have only about 5 left. Sowed some more a couple of weeks ago.

CCFCSteve

No mate. It is for government in time’s like these. This isn’t the time for libertarian ideology.

Not libertarian shmmeee, but why can’t the supermarkets ration certain items, it’s not hard ?

If I was the government I would be requesting the supermarkets to do this if they aren’t doing it (and enforce it if not) though

Otis

I was up Asda in walsgrave as the wife asked me to do a beer run. Not as chaotic as I thought but not much fresh stuff

24 bud for £12 , she wanted a case of coors and we picked up a couple of bottles of wine
Priorities, priorities, priorities, Daz. Good on you.

skyblueinBaku

I'm very late with stuff this year - the soil down here is still too cold and saturated. Only just laid out my spuds for chitting. I'll try to get broad beans started in the greenhouse in the next week or so. My wife has started 'chitting' the peppers and chillis. Much too early to think about getting the peas started.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Priorities, priorities, priorities, Daz. Good on you.
I can’t stay in the house with no sport or beer
giphy.gif

CCFCSteve

Tesco limiting customers to three of one item from tomorrow (not sure if that’s very item or those being emptied)

Users who are viewing this thread