Supermarket shortages (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Just went to the BP/M&S garage by me, no bread, milk, pasta, veg, eggs. Mental.

I was going to go there tomorrow won’t bother now

Grendel

Why has milk gone? Can you freeze milk?

fernandopartridge

My missus done our weekly shop today, but went to Lidl's instead of the usual Morrisons. She got everything she needed. I think it's a 'class' thing. Panic buyers and hoarders are usually the ones with the money to spend, but they don't want to be seen in Lidl's or Aldi. ;)
Not true, the local Aldi closed early yesterday as it had been cleared out

Grendel

Grendel

Some mundane reasons:

Perishable, so people buy it anyway;
If people are all working from home, they need milk for tea rather than the collective milk fund - could be 30 extra pints per office, that!
Basic cooking ingredient, so if you're making your own food / baking a lot, it's useful.

Om my one and only trip to Sainsbury’s a bloke was moaning how can people eat so much bread and he had 6 four litre bottles of milk in his trolley

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I haven't seen milk shortages at any Tesco, Lidl, Aldi nor Sainsbury's in Rugby.
I often freeze mine. Defrosts in 48 hours. Give it a shake. Bingo.
...same with the milk.

chiefdave

Not near me all gone
Nothing near me either. Must depend on where you live. Tried three local shops today for bread and milk and nowhere to be seen. Not much else in there either and they weren't sure when they'd be restocked or what they'd be getting.

What's it been now, two weeks of panic buying? No sign of it stopping and no sign of anything being done to sort it out. Just get people saying there's no problem, was a chap on the radio earlier saying no problem with supply and there's food on the shelves in the supermarkets. Not going to get fixed if that's the thinking.

So what are those of us who did as we were told and didn't stockpile and still have to go to work, and therefore can't spend hours in the supermarket risking catching something, do now we're running out of stuff? Got to get the shopping for my parents as well this week.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Nothing near me either. Must depend on where you live. Tried three local shops today for bread and milk and nowhere to be seen. Not much else in there either and they weren't sure when they'd be restocked or what they'd be getting.

What's it been now, two weeks of panic buying? No sign of it stopping and no sign of anything being done to sort it out. Just get people saying there's no problem, was a chap from on the radio earlier saying no problem with supply and there's food on the shelves in the supermarkets. Not going to get fixed if that's the thinking.

So what are those of us who did as we were told and didn't stockpile and still have to go to work, and therefore can't spend hours in the supermarket risking catching something, do now we're running out of stuff? Got to get the shopping for my parents as well this week.
Buy things from Cheryl on Facebook for 10 times the price.

stupot07

What's it been now, two weeks of panic buying? No sign of it stopping and no sign of anything being done to sort it out. Just get people saying there's no problem, was a chap from on the radio earlier saying no problem with supply and there's food on the shelves in the supermarkets. Not going to get fixed if that's the thinking.

What we're seeing is our fellow Brits are a bunch of selfish c*nts.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Otis

Nope, she just rang me to say it looks like they just had a delivery and the stock level isn't so bad. They have milk and bread and she says there are only about 2 customers in there.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Mum phoned me earlier as she decided her and dad wanted to “ self medicate “ with some hot toddy’s but they didn’t have any whisky left so I popped into Aldi about 5:30 seemed ok in there

Sky_Blue_Daz

Is there an argument for the government to close the main supermarkets on a Sunday for the foreseeable future in order to give staff the opportunity to replenish stock and rest, thus giving corner shops a chance to earn a few quid
Or would panic buying get worse ?

Nick

Administrator
Is there an argument for the government to close the main supermarkets on a Sunday for the foreseeable future in order to give staff the opportunity to replenish stock and rest, thus giving corner shops a chance to earn a few quid
They have staff in overnight now I think?

They do need to sort out the way they are operating though.

Still think booking an hourly slot for shopping

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

They have staff in overnight now I think?

They do need to sort out the way they are operating though.

Still think booking an hourly slot for shopping

Like a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket but for basic groceries? Hidden inside packs of bog roll?

Ian1779

Some of them have already stopped 24 hour trading.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Not true, the local Aldi closed early yesterday as it had been cleared out
Yeah, but I posted my quote on Tuesday. Now they've just realised they're going to HAVE to bite the bullet and shop in Aldi and Lidl. That's why yesterday (Fri) they were empty of stock! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread