Superbowl XLVII (1 Viewer)

Mr pot

It was supposed to be a close game. SF better come out better 2nd half

scroobiustom

Most annoying thing about the Superbowl the Roman numerals - "what did(have) the Romans ever do(ne) for them(us)

scroobiustom

OMG! 109 reutrn! game...over!

scroobiustom

the reply...huge tackle!

scroobiustom

haha power cut, how embarrassing - rematch!!!

scroobiustom

hopefully this makes it a bit more competitive!

Mr pot

Been better but need to tighten up defence and prevent another ravens TD

Sky Blues

The momentum clearly swung for a while after the lights came back on. I can't help but think the Ravens' coach didn't help his team when that happened. Instead of keeping his players relaxed and focused he was getting all wound-up about something beyond his control. I can understand his frustration, but he shouldn't have let his players see it.

Mr pot

He must have been told something to reason that upset him. They had all the momentum when the lights went out.

Mr pot

Was a good game not a great IMO. I'm happy the lights went out because the game picked up but unhappy that the pass interference wasn't called at the death.

Otis

Very good game that.

Think the deliberate Safety at the end fooled a lot of people, but it was very smart. Seen that happen before.

Ravens deserved to win for sure.

BASICS
o.gif

The purpose of the game is to move the ball towards, and ultimately into, the opposition's end zone.
This is achieved by either running with the ball until tackled, or throwing the ball downfield to a team-mate.
DOWNS
Downs are the most fundamental, and confusing, part of the NFL rulebook.
The attacking team, or offence, needs to move the ball forward in chunks of at least 10 yards, which is why the pitch has yardage markings.
They have four chances, or downs, to gain those 10 yards.
When the ball has advanced that far anotherfirst down is earned, with four more chances to go a further 10 yards.
If the offensive team fails to move 10 yards within four downs, possession is surrendered, although the ball is usually kicked, or punted, to the defending team on fourth down.
While most scoring comes from near the defending team's end zone, a touchdown can be scored from anywhere on the field, and on any down.
PLAYS
These are the complicated movements involving all 11 players teams use to move the ball downfield.
Plays are called by the head coach or quarterback, who is the attacking lynchpin of any team.
While the term usually refers to attacking teams, defending teams also use set plays to stop their opponents' forward movement.
The offensive team has 30 seconds to get the ball in play or kick a field goal.
SCORING
Touchdown (six points)
A touchdown is scored when a team crosses the opposition's goal line with the ball, or catches or collects the ball in the end zone.
Field goal (three points)
These are usually attempted on fourth down if the kicker is close enough to the end zone to kick the ball through the posts, or uprights.
Extra point (one or two points)
A point is earned by kicking the ball through the uprights after a touchdown (similar to a rugby conversion). Two points are earned by taking the ball into the end zone again.
Safety (two points)
Awarded to the defensive team when a member of the offensive team is tackled with the ball in his own end zone.
POSITIONS
Although there are only 11 players from each side on the field at any one time, an American football team is made up of 45 players, ranging in size, speed and their roles within the team.
The offence
A team's attacking players who attempt to move the ball forward and score touchdowns.
The key man is the quarterback.
On the quarterback's signal, the centre snaps the ball back between his legs to the QB (similar to rugby league's play-the-ball).

The quarterback can then either run with the ball, hand it to a running back, or pass it downfield to one of his receivers.
1 & 11 Wide receivers
2 & 6 Tackles
3 & 5 Guards
4 Centre
7 Tight end
8 Quarterback
9 Fullback
10 Running back

The plays used by the quarterback can either be pre-arranged or improvised to take advantage of the game's changing shape.

The defence
The role of the defence is to stop the other team from scoring by tackling the ball-carrier, intercepting passes or causing fumbles.

The defence is made up of big, powerful players trying to stop the other team from running the ball, and fast, athletic players trying to prevent the quarterback's passes from reaching his receivers.
The defence's power players also attempt to tackle, or sack, the quarterback before he has thrown the ball, while any defender can cause a fumble by knocking the ball from a ball-carrier's grasp.

Special teams
Responsible for all plays involving kicks or punts.
Special teams play a small but vital role. They come onto the field to execute field goal or extra point attempts, and when the team wants to punt the ball downfield on fourth down.
They are also responsible for trying to block the opposition's kicks and punts, as well as attempting to return them as far as possible in the other direction.

ESSENTIALS
11 players from each team on field
Four 15min quarters
Three time-outs per half for each team
12min half-time
15min sudden-death overtime if scores are tied

scroobiustom

VERY tired this morning :( deffo worth staying up for it though!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Hi My name is Houchens Head and I read and post in threads just to whine about how they don't interest me :jerkit:

No. MY name is Houchens Head. YOU are Daft Ranson. And by the way, a forum is just that - a FORUM - for posting opinions. You are the :jerkit: :jerkit: :jerkit: :jerkit: :jerkit: :pointlaugh:

ajsccfc

But surely if you're already of the opinion that a subject doesn't interest you, the sensible thing is not to bother with it at all?

scroobiustom

But surely if you're already of the opinion that a subject doesn't interest you, the sensible thing is not to bother with it at all?

If the subject matter is something you don't like, surely your entitled to make others aware of this fact?

for example, If there was a pro Garth Crooks thread (unlikely) I would go out of my way to highlight how much of a cock the guy is :jerkit:

ajsccfc

You're entitled to do whatever you want, but surely you know when it's apt and when it's disruptive for no reason.

If there's a thread about dance music I'd rather leave the people who like it to it rather than wade in going 'not real music is it? pass'.

scroobiustom

Well in this case....

I actually like American Football, I stayed up to watch the S/bowl, as I have the Titans throughout the season, and I didn't find HH's comments in anyway disruptive.

I personally don't like John Lennon's music etc, which HH will not agree with but I doubt he will find that disruptive to his own views, and the point of a forum is the exchange of ideas/ emotions & debate is it not? so I welcome his negative views of American Football and will try to convert him! :guitar2:

ajsccfc

If it was closer to 'never got it before, what's the appeal?' then it'd be a different story. Instead it's 'this is shit, and I can say what I want!!!' attention-seeking nonsense.

scroobiustom

On another note, what do think is the best position in Am Football?

I'm going to "punt" for the Punt Return -----------easy money!

ajsccfc

I'd go for kicker. Seems to have the least chance of spinal injury and sheer terror that almost all other positions would give me.

scroobiustom

If it was closer to 'never got it before, what's the appeal?' then it'd be a different story. Instead it's 'this is shit, and I can say what I want!!!' attention-seeking nonsense.

I don't know mate, perhaps the real problem is the person that takes exception to what's put in front of him?

"Imagine all the people, Living life in peace"---------what a boring forum!

ajsccfc

It should be taken exception to, Darth Ranson rightly pulled up the needlessness of it. Imagine if everyone went into threads about things they have no opinion of to tell people they don't care.
It's a particular annoyance, to see someone wade in to something screaming 'WHO CARES?' while others clearly do.

Last edited:

scroobiustom

Going into threads I don't care about to tell people of this fact, sounds like a challenge for me!..."Challenge....excepted" ;)

ajsccfc

I realise that in all this complaining about a personal bugbear I've derailed Superb Owl talk most so I'm the biggest dickhead of all. Balls.

In conclusion, Seahawks to at least reach the championship game next year.

Users who are viewing this thread