Super Max (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

It's funny how these debates go around.

Earlier this season there was a fairly impassioned debate about how the only important factor in a striker's performance was goals.

Now when one of our strikers has a handy scoring record per minutes played - it's not about goals any more.

Let's just get behind the lads and enjoy the run-in. As I see it all of the players who are featuring every week, both starting and off the bench are making real contributions to our promotion charge. Not sure why there is any debate at this time about our players not being good enough.

For what it's worth, Max has made an amazing adjustment from non League to L2 and now to L1. He certainly doesn't look out of place to me at this level. And if you factor in that very serious injury it's a brilliant feel good story for Max and for us.

I do believe goals per minute can be used as ive used them but it has to be used correctly.

The case between godden and Ponticelli would be an example of this

It's also why I rarely give a manager the same level of respect if they have a 50% win ratio after 20 games as opposed to over 150 games

Grendel

Konjik is another cult player whose ability was below the adulation

Grendel

It's funny how these debates go around.

Earlier this season there was a fairly impassioned debate about how the only important factor in a striker's performance was goals.

Now when one of our strikers has a handy scoring record per minutes played - it's not about goals any more.

Let's just get behind the lads and enjoy the run-in. As I see it all of the players who are featuring every week, both starting and off the bench are making real contributions to our promotion charge. Not sure why there is any debate at this time about our players not being good enough.

For what it's worth, Max has made an amazing adjustment from non League to L2 and now to L1. He certainly doesn't look out of place to me at this level. And if you factor in that very serious injury it's a brilliant feel good story for Max and for us.

He’s got 6 assists in his career I think

Brighton Sky Blue

Konjik is another cult player whose ability was below the adulation

'Cult heroes' often are players who were pretty ordinary in their ability but endeared themselves to the fans in one way or another. Biamou has done that by hitting screamers and taking selfies. Don't really see the gain in emphasising his lack of all round talent

Reactions: SBT

Evo1883

'Cult heroes' often are players who were pretty ordinary in their ability but endeared themselves to the fans in one way or another. Biamou has done that by hitting screamers and taking selfies. Don't really see the gain in emphasising his lack of all round talent

I remember when some fans were calling for Ryan Haynes to be played left wing over Jacob Murphy.

This isn't an isolated incident

DannyThomas_1981

I do believe goals per minute can be used as ive used them but it has to be used correctly.

The case between godden and Ponticelli would be an example of this

It's all about different opinions Evo and I respect your opinion. I just see Max as a striker who has different attributes to others with the ability to be a real game changer. He's proven this before. Just as our midfielders all contribute and pose different questions, Max has the ability to ask different questions of defences. His goal at Peterboro this season was outstanding as an example. We need game changers and in this team we're fortunate to have a number of players who can change games.

Grendel

I don’t but when people over blow his contribution it’s not a fair reflection is it

letsallsingtogether

Thing is Max has scored 11 this season from 9 starts he is joint top scorer in this team.
Who knows how many more he would have got if he had been fit all season.

Grendel

It's all about different opinions Evo and I respect your opinion. I just see Max as a striker who has different attributes to others with the ability to be a real game changer. He's proven this before. Just as our midfielders all contribute and pose different questions, Max has the ability to ask different questions of defences. His goal at Peterboro this season was outstanding as an example. We need game changers and in this team we're fortunate to have a number of players who can change games.

Rubbish

Grendel

Thing is Max has scored 11 this season from 9 starts he is joint top scorer in this team.
Who knows how many more he would have got if he had been fit all season.

Why do you quote goals off the bench and then only include games he starts it’s just odd

Evo1883

I don't completely disagree with you tbh, just differ in opinion on his overall ability maybe

Evo1883

I didn't want to argue I just couldn't not say something when it was said that he's our greatest ever free signing...
Which he clearly isn't

Brighton Sky Blue

I don’t but when people over blow his contribution it’s not a fair reflection is it

Well no it isn't but there's a medium I think between hyping him up and saying how rank average he is. He joined us from non-league relatively late and it's clear that League 1 is his ceiling but he can and does contribute more than some donkeys we've had in this league.

alfielloyd

we all support the mighty sky blues so we will celebrate goals scored by any player wearing sky blue but godden is by far our most accomplished striker, if we get promoted it will be down to the squad but in the forward area godden will make the critical difference.

letsallsingtogether

Not really as we would have won 3-2 without them over the 2 legs..

But I'm not arguing that tbh, his league form for us is extremely underwhelming since his arrival.

It's 8 in 59

Kevin Kyle often touted as being absolutely shite scored 5 in 50

But would we have won without his goal with started off the landslide.

DannyThomas_1981

Not entirely sure why you are like this and no interest in debating with you to be honest my friend Grendel.

Like the majority I am enjoying this season and another fantastic win today.

I also appreciate what the players are doing for this club vs. trying to talk down certain players.

Brighton Sky Blue

I remember when some fans were calling for Ryan Haynes to be played left wing over Jacob Murphy.

This isn't an isolated incident

Homegrown players have had that effect on fans for ages just look at Ponti-though in Max's case it's because of the screamers and the selfies

Grendel

Grendel

The oxford dictionary definition I suppose;

class act
  1. INFORMAL
    a person or thing displaying impressive and stylish excellence.

Not him then

cc84cov

he must have played close to 700 he scored 6 goals
G please my friend it’s coming close to the time I expect you to say “do you know what he’s certainly playing his part’ at least ??? ;) I’ll back you all day when your right mate but you have to admit he’s doing what is needed

Evo1883

I don't normally pipe up about people's opinions on players.. . It happened the other day when somebody said Jordan Henderson was better than Paul Scholes... I just couldn't not say anything it was so ludicrous

Brighton Sky Blue

Max is better than Ponticelli, we can agree on that mate

Yup. Max basically had his own goal of the season contest in L2 and he's hit some more crackers in L1. His all round game and general talent is pretty ordinary but think you can see why he has the status he does

Grendel

Yup. Max basically had his own goal of the season contest in L2 and he's hit some more crackers in L1. His all round game and general talent is pretty ordinary but think you can see why he has the status he does

A fitting summary

harvey098

Not him then

There are players I don’t really rate, I don’t feel the need to constantly slate them. I don’t get why you’d go out of your way to be negative about a player that’s just scored a goal on a day to send us joint top. Are you really that bored?

Grendel

There are players I don’t really rate, I don’t feel the need to constantly slate them. I don’t get why you’d go out of your way to be negative about a player that’s just scored a goal on a day to send us joint top. Are you really that bored?

I oddly am slating no one and am aligned to more people than you whose football knowledge is greater than yours

Evo1883

Gordan Strachan looked at Paul telfer the same way our supporters look at biamou... That's the best way to put this

Users who are viewing this thread