Sunderland forum (again) (2 Viewers)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

You'd think they had other things to discuss about their club over the last 40 years. . Haven't they been in play offs, finals, semi finals to take their mind off that particular evening ? No ? What about leaving Roker Park ? Which idiot decided on the name "Stadium of Light " ?
Why didn't they have a nickname for years and when they did who's to blame for a stupid name like the "Black Cats " ? Ridiculous.

Liquid Gold

You'd think they had other things to discuss about their club over the last 40 years. . Haven't they been in play offs, finals, semi finals to take their mind off that particular evening ? No ? What about leaving Roker Park ? Which idiot decided on the name "Stadium of Light " ?
Why didn't they have a nickname for years and when they did who's to blame for a stupid name like the "Black Cats " ? Ridiculous.
Always annoyed me that they stole a stadium name and invented a nickname. What's wrong with them.

withnail

The problem with Sunderland fans (or Newcastle or Liverpool, delete as appropriate) is that they misguidedly think they're the most respected, admired, loyal, hardcore fans in the world.
As a consequence when you get a scenario like the whole delayed kick off Jimmy Hill thing from 40 years ago it gives them a vehicle to broadcast their tedious self-indulgent beliefs and demonstrate to any poor bastard close enough to hear them just what a true, dyed-in-the-wool super-fan legend they are.
It's a bit sad particularly as half of the knob heads weren't even born then, but that's the human race for you, never fails to disappoint.

Johnnythespider

Nearly as many Hitler and Nazi references as on here. I suppose we should be grateful that we come from a city important enough to be bombed.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

RegTheDonk

Quite ironic in some ways - I was a kid in those days and have fleeting memories of football other than Cov, one of which was Sunderlands FA Cup Final against Leeds. Along with most of the country, I was really cheering for them and was as pleased as punch watching Porterfield score, and that Leeds shot that never crossed the line. After 40 plus years, it's probably better to remember the good times and let go of the bad ones.

wingy

And I always thought they were the 'Mackems'.

ccfc92

If Sunderland were where we are or folded or something, I'd get it.

But 40 years later, they are still bitter and they are a wealthy Prem/Championship club with regular promotions etc :bucktooth::joyful:

rondog1973

If it happened today we'd have been docked points and relegated.
Dunno you know....

Pretty sure Barnsley and Huddersfield did a similar thing about 4-5 years ago.

At the end of the game the stadium rang out to the chant of Yorkshire, Yorkshire.......

JulianDarbyFTW

Trouble with Sunderland is that they've turned into a retirement home for has-beens or never-weres. Brown, O'Shea, Januzaj, Rodwell, Borini as examples. The fans have nothing left to cheer except other peoples misery. Despite how shit we've been for the last 15 years, I'd rather support us than them - at least we have a few bright lights to watch twinkle every year or two.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

1977. They lost their game. End of, what happened at Cov is irrelevant. Bleating idiots.
To write , so we should have LOST that game so they can stay up.
I wonder what would have happened if the shoe had been on the other foot , as they say !

steveo1987

Lovely quote this one;

Sadly there were only 9,000 there to see them relegated. They should have corralled them in, like we did with the local townfolk at the liberation of Auschwitz.

pusbccfc

Sad folk.

Imagine if we played them at the Ricoh next season, we would have to guard the statue.

slowpoke

I'm too young to understand the beef so couldn't give a fuck about them. On the other hand from this season onwards Sheffield united fans can fuck off

SlowerThanPlatt

Think the last time we played Sunderland at home was in 2006 was on ESPN iirc, can't remember any bad feeling or chants that day?

Macca

Football fans aren't the brightest to be fair. Think if you have got past 35 and still care about who hates who and "bants" you probably need to have a word with yourself.

The whole thing with Sunderland is a modern bandwagon. Knew a few 10-15 years ago and they never mentioned it

Hobo

Unbelievable. :(

I could only get through 5 pages.

Because of something that happened 40 years ago, FORTY YEARS ago, some people won't be happy until we are wiped off the face of the earth!

Words fail me.

I am not even going to bother with one.

Hobo

They overlook the fact they were relegated because they were crap. They have since been promoted numerous times but still are not good enough.

We are now in league 2 because we are not good enough to be any higher.

Sunderland aren't even on my football radar, who cares.

hutch1972

Football fans aren't the brightest to be fair. Think if you have got past 35 and still care about who hates who and "bants" you probably need to have a word with yourself.

The whole thing with Sunderland is a modern bandwagon. Knew a few 10-15 years ago and they never mentioned it
Same as you , it has only been the last few years that it has re- surfaced again , mostly from people who were not even born at the time.
Looking back at it now , all JH did was inform our players that a point was enough , the fact that Bristol would be safe as well probably didn't cross his mind. It was a message to simply say , protect what we have.
I was 13 years old at the time and remember asking my old fella why nobody was trying to attack.
I never thought 40 years on we would still be discussing it though.

Captain Dart

Users who are viewing this thread