Sunderland fans still at it!! (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

I don’t think any of our supporters would be disrespectful enough to do such a disgusting thing, my guess is it’s one idiot just mouthing off. If one of our fans did try to damage the garden in some way then there’d be plenty of us who would be prepared to step in and stop it, but TBF if the perpetrator was booted all over the joint by City supporters then they would be getting what they deserved.
Oh I’m certain there’s many

Otis

Keyboard warriors mate, nothing more.
Certainly hope so.

Think on here we all just find it so weird that people can still be so unforgiving about something that happened over 40 years ago.

I was at that game and was urging the City players forwards, as I wanted us to go in and try and win the game.

It's not the fans fault, nor any of the regimes since then and I've said a few times on here, I used to work with a number of Sunderland fans for over 20 years and they hardly ever mentioned it and if they did it was always in a light-hearted fashion. No vitriol, no hatred, no bitterness.

All rather sad and pathetic to be quite honest all this current pent up anger and sour faces.

Lost_Mackem

Certainly hope so.

Think on here we all just find it so weird that people can still be so unforgiving about something that happened over 40 years ago.

I was at that game and was urging the City players forwards, as I wanted us to go in and try and win the game.

It's not the fans fault, nor any of the regimes since then and I've said a few times on here, I used to work with a number of Sunderland fans for over 20 years and they hardly ever mentioned it and if they did it was always in a light-hearted fashion. No vitriol, no hatred, no bitterness.

All rather sad and pathetic to be quite honest all this current pent up anger and sour faces.

I must admit I wasn’t even aware of what happened up until recently, I’m only 26 and I think tbh since I first took much interest in football we’ve played you about 8 times and it had never been mentioned.

Not sure why it’s all of a sudden become such a big issue lately, end of the day we were relegated not because of what happened in the final 15 minutes between Coventry and Bristol City but because we weren’t good enough over a full season.

It wasn’t the fault of the Coventry supporters what happened, every club has skeletons in the closet. I was quite frankly ashamed of SAFC because of the way the whole Adam Johnson situation was handled by those who ran the club at the time.

Part of me wonders if some fans are trying to stoke up a rivalry between the two clubs to light up a somewhat mundane fixture list we are going to have to negotiate next season.

Coventry are the closest league club to where I live so I’ve followed their situation closely over the last few years and there are similarities between the Sky Blues and Sunderland (terrible owners).

Best of luck next season except against us of course.

lifeskyblue

Funny thing is LostMackem every Sunderland fan I’ve known personally and those who have appeared here (most noticeably you and another fan who came on promoting a book, as well as those last season re Bradley) have all been decent football fans; knowledgable, passionate for their team and like us philosophical in knowing their club cannot (sic) get any worse or fall any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Great Eastern

In a very similar way, there are Tottenham fans who still resent Arsenal moving into their territory from Woolwich nearly a century ago....
It would certainly help if the Sunderland fans would get into their heads that the game kicked off 15 minutes late because of the intervention of the West Midlands police and nothing to do with JH. Many thousands of Bristol fans made the journey at a similar time after work and caused a log jam round the motorway network at Birmingham, particularly where the M5 and M6 merge (M42 wasn't built then)
Jimmy Hill rushing up the steps to get the Sunderland score on the screen was true. I'm 100% certain the Sunderland chairman would have done exactly the same given identical circumstances. Not JH's finest hour maybe but to talk of desecrating where his ashes have been spread is utterly mind numbing... All that's going to achieve is to alienate SAFC from the vast majority of decent people who support football from all over the country.

Otis

In a very similar way, there are Tottenham fans who still resent Arsenal moving into their territory from Woolwich nearly a century ago....
It would certainly help if the Sunderland fans would get into their heads that the game kicked off 15 minutes late because of the intervention of the West Midlands police and nothing to do with JH. Many thousands of Bristol fans made the journey at a similar time after work and caused a log jam round the motorway network at Birmingham, particularly where the M5 and M6 merge (M42 wasn't built then)
Jimmy Hill rushing up the steps to get the Sunderland score on the screen was true. I'm 100% certain the Sunderland chairman would have done exactly the same given identical circumstances. Not JH's finest hour maybe but to talk of desecrating where his ashes have been spread is utterly mind numbing... All that's going to achieve is to alienate SAFC from the vast majority of decent people who support football from all over the country.
Yeah, well that's become a myth now about JH delaying the game. The decision was taken on the back of thousands of fans not yet in the ground. There was no premeditation to get the game kicked off late by the club or Jimmy Hill.

The last (not quite sure how many minutes it was) part of the match wasn't played out in the spirit of the game and at the time I was a bit narked with it because I honestly thought we would go on to win had we not decided to just play the game out for a draw.

Daft though still going on about it 41 years later.

Last edited:

pusbccfc

They're a massive club, irrespective of what we think of them. Biggest club in League 1 since Leeds (or Man City), whenever that was.

Just like their rivals, they are an incredibly well-supported club.

However, since WW2 they have had similar success to us, certainly nothing to shout about.

Lost_Mackem

Just like their rivals, they are an incredibly well-supported club.

However, since WW2 they have had similar success to us, certainly nothing to shout about.

I agree, or you could even argue you’ve been more successful than us. That long unbroken spell you enjoyed (30 odd years?) of top flight football is something we’ve never come close to since our first relegation in the late 50’s.

Unfortunately the way modern football is we are both going to be perennial also rans fighting over the scraps Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool and the 2 Manchester clubs occasionally throw our way.

I’d like to think something will be done soon to narrow the gap but those top six Prem clubs aren’t going to want things to change and perhaps they are now too powerful to be challenged.

Otis

I agree, or you could even argue you’ve been more successful than us. That long unbroken spell you enjoyed (30 odd years?) of top flight football is something we’ve never come close to since our first relegation in the late 50’s.

Unfortunately the way modern football is we are both going to be perennial also rans fighting over the scraps Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool and the 2 Manchester clubs occasionally throw our way.

I’d like to think something will be done soon to narrow the gap but those top six Prem clubs aren’t going to want things to change and perhaps they are now too powerful to be challenged.
I've said before, I'm all for ring fencing it. Let Spurs, Arsenal, Man City and Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea battle it out every year.

Give the Europa League to the top 3 in the Championship and let that be the league that everyone aspires to be in for nearly all other teams and that be the league everyone else wants to compete within for anyone but the elite.

BackRoomRummermill

It’s all a load of bull , we have played Sunderland many times since the event league and cup . There is nothing in it , Sunderland is a fine place of decent people , a few internet chimps have made up something that frankly does not exist. Some people need to get a grip on reality, if they can’t then they need to concentrate on the respective club and not waste web oxygen on myth and hearsay .

Covstu

It’s all a load of bull , we have played Sunderland many times since the event league and cup . There is nothing in it , Sunderland is a fine place of decent people , a few internet chimps have made up something that frankly does not exist. Some people need to get a grip on reality, if they can’t then they need to concentrate on the respective club and not waste web oxygen on myth and hearsay .
Been up there a few times and seen nowt. People creating fake rivalries as there real ones are blowing them away

D

Deleted member 4439

I
Jimmy Hill rushing up the steps to get the Sunderland score on the screen was true. I'm 100% certain the Sunderland chairman would have done exactly the same given identical circumstances. .

I've failed to understand why this was really any different from somebody on the touch-line telling the players.

Really, for all the point made that Sunderland cant blame their season on what happens in 15 mins at another match, the whole Sunderland vs JH thing was once laughable but then became disgraceful. Can't be bothered to hate back.

letsallsingtogether

More than one spouting off about it mate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thing is even if they are not involved and something does happen they could still be arrested and done for inciting trouble at a football match could go to jail but will definitley be banned.
I'm sure the police could track them down.

Ring Of Steel

I've seen us play Sunderland about 20 times- home and away- and never once have I heard anyone in the crowd mention Jimmy Hill, let alone create some kind of rivalry- I don't know where all this has come from but maybe they're looking to offload some of the angst and anger at their current plight... Do we really want to be creating a rivalry with them based on something like this? #

The only standout memories I have concerning Sunderland:

1989/1990 away- Speedie and Gary Bennett sent off, Speedie tried to remove Bennett's kneecap and Bennett tried (and almost succeeded) to throttle Speedie... cue minor brawl with David Smith & Trevor Peake trying to protect Speedie with no luck, then Regis appears like the Hulk and swats about 4 people aside with ridiculous brute strength (see below!)... the place was crackling after that

1989/1990 home- the replay... they stupidly came down seemingly looking for revenge on Speedie as opposed to winning the game, they targeted him & blatantly chopped him down (Gary Owers?), man sent off and we coasted to a 5-0 win, they had great support that night and after they got hammered on the field their fans smashed a few cars up

1990/1991- 0-0 draw and possibly the worst game of football I ever saw (even worse than the procession of Wimbledon games in that period)- Butcher had taken over there and came for a 0-0, and we couldn't do anything about it, I think we had "runs with a limp" Kevin McDonald pulling the strings in midfield

2000/2001- we beat them 1-0 to give ourselves a chance to stay up and afterwards outside the ground some bitter Sunderland guy said to his son "At least we haven't got to come to this shithole again" to which some guy walked over and smacked him in the mouth then ran away

On another note- Roker Park, now there was an away ground, about as 'proper' an old football ground as you'd ever get... noisy, aggressive, intense, a fantastic place to watch football. Much better than the new place with all its lovely pink seats :)

Lost_Mackem

I've seen us play Sunderland about 20 times- home and away- and never once have I heard anyone in the crowd mention Jimmy Hill, let alone create some kind of rivalry- I don't know where all this has come from but maybe they're looking to offload some of the angst and anger at their current plight... Do we really want to be creating a rivalry with them based on something like this? #

The only standout memories I have concerning Sunderland:

1989/1990 away- Speedie and Gary Bennett sent off, Speedie tried to remove Bennett's kneecap and Bennett tried (and almost succeeded) to throttle Speedie... cue minor brawl with David Smith & Trevor Peake trying to protect Speedie with no luck, then Regis appears like the Hulk and swats about 4 people aside with ridiculous brute strength (see below!)... the place was crackling after that

1989/1990 home- the replay... they stupidly came down seemingly looking for revenge on Speedie as opposed to winning the game, they targeted him & blatantly chopped him down (Gary Owers?), man sent off and we coasted to a 5-0 win, they had great support that night and after they got hammered on the field their fans smashed a few cars up

1990/1991- 0-0 draw and possibly the worst game of football I ever saw (even worse than the procession of Wimbledon games in that period)- Butcher had taken over there and came for a 0-0, and we couldn't do anything about it, I think we had "runs with a limp" Kevin McDonald pulling the strings in midfield

2000/2001- we beat them 1-0 to give ourselves a chance to stay up and afterwards outside the ground some bitter Sunderland guy said to his son "At least we haven't got to come to this shithole again" to which some guy walked over and smacked him in the mouth then ran away

On another note- Roker Park, now there was an away ground, about as 'proper' an old football ground as you'd ever get... noisy, aggressive, intense, a fantastic place to watch football. Much better than the new place with all its lovely pink seats :)

My memories of games against Coventry are more limited, I remember Colin Healy breaking his leg at Highfield Road in about 2004?

I may be wrong here but I’m sure we were the first team to play you at the RICOH, I remember Peter Reid was your manager at the time.

Remember a 2-1 defeat at the RICOH live on Sky first day of the 2006/07 season when Niall Quinn was our manager and chairman.

I’m hopeful of getting a ticket for the game at your place this coming season given that it’s only a 15 minute drive away, I just hope it’s not a midweek game.

vow

My memories of games against Coventry are more limited, I remember Colin Healy breaking his leg at Highfield Road in about 2004?

I may be wrong here but I’m sure we were the first team to play you at the RICOH, I remember Peter Reid was your manager at the time.

Remember a 2-1 defeat at the RICOH live on Sky first day of the 2006/07 season when Niall Quinn was our manager and chairman.

I’m hopeful of getting a ticket for the game at your place this coming season given that it’s only a 15 minute drive away, I just hope it’s not a midweek game.
Old enough to remember the Nicky Sumerbee "tackle" on Steve Froggat?

Ring Of Steel

Thats right- Safri tackled Healy and it was one of those where you could hear the crack in the crowd, very bad.

First game 2006/2007- I remember that well, you had Niall Quinn on the touchline, you appointed Roy Keane a few days/ weeks later I think, but Micky Adams was our manager then, not Reid. I clearly remember that when you were 1-0 up Liam Lawrence was playacting and falling over every time someone went near him, trying to do some "game management"- but his attitude was all wrong, he was just trying to take the piss. I have no issue with Sunderland but I always hated Lawrence after that and took great pleasure in the change in pace he showed after we went 2-1 up...

As for the Summerbee tackle, that was hideous.. we steamed into a 3-0 lead and it was one of the best halves of football we ever put on, they couldn't get near us, at half time Reid obviously turned the air blue and they came out possessed- I couldn't say they were 'dirty', but they were certainly direct and aggressive, and in typical CCFC fashion we turned a comfortable 3-0 lead into a nervous last few mins at 3-2.

Summerbee was an absolute disgrace, and he finished our player's career, took his livelihood away... and yet I don't hate Sunderland, I just hate Summerbee :)

Liquid Gold

I remember the most noticeable thing about playing sunderland was the high pitched noises people made after Mart Poom kicked the ball. It's weird how the internet stirs up this angst.

Skyblueweeman

Nah, we beat QPR 3-1 in our first game at the Ricoh.

vow

I’m guess that was around 2000? I was probably about 7 or 8 at the time so no I don’t recall. :banhappy:
Aye, 2000, Froggat had been in and around the England squad (Under Keegan) and would have probably gone to the Euro's that year, but had to retire due to the injury.

Gutted for him and England as he may have solved the "Left-sided, left footed winger" dilemma that Eng seemed to have, as long as I can remember anyhow!

So at the time hated Summerbee and had a dislike for Sunderland too as I was v proud (as a City fan) and looking forward to him putting the 3 Lions on his chest.

David O'Day

That was another first day of the season. McSheffs and John scored for us

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Thats right- Safri tackled Healy and it was one of those where you could hear the crack in the crowd, very bad.

First game 2006/2007- I remember that well, you had Niall Quinn on the touchline, you appointed Roy Keane a few days/ weeks later I think, but Micky Adams was our manager then, not Reid. I clearly remember that when you were 1-0 up Liam Lawrence was playacting and falling over every time someone went near him, trying to do some "game management"- but his attitude was all wrong, he was just trying to take the piss. I have no issue with Sunderland but I always hated Lawrence after that and took great pleasure in the change in pace he showed after we went 2-1 up...

As for the Summerbee tackle, that was hideous.. we steamed into a 3-0 lead and it was one of the best halves of football we ever put on, they couldn't get near us, at half time Reid obviously turned the air blue and they came out possessed- I couldn't say they were 'dirty', but they were certainly direct and aggressive, and in typical CCFC fashion we turned a comfortable 3-0 lead into a nervous last few mins at 3-2.

Summerbee was an absolute disgrace, and he finished our player's career, took his livelihood away... and yet I don't hate Sunderland, I just hate Summerbee :)
Shame for Healy, good player who played well for us on loan prior to his injury

Travs

Late 90's when we were 4-0 up after about 25 mins, leading to much merriment and piss-taking from the West End to the away fans (they always seemed to bring a decent number)........

After the game they surrounded the exits to the West Terrace onto Thackhall Street with the intention of attacking anyone who tried to get out. God knows where the police got to but there was a bit of a Mexican standoff between us and them. I don't particularly remember it escalating into a proper fight, I guess there was a bit of respect between the two sets of fans as to what might happen, them having a big turnout, and us being the home side and a packed West Terrace, but t had the potential to be very nasty.

Don't want to make stereotypes but always found Newcastle and Sunderland followings to be huge in numbers and noise, but they were racist bastards. Interestingly our 'allies' from up the M1 at Sheffield Wednesday occasionally took great delight in informing us that we were "a town full of P***s" on various occasions, despite the alleged love-in between the two sets of fans.

ccfcricoh

It feels strange a team hating us as much as they do when we have no feelings for them whatsever!

I imagine its how Villa feel towards us!

jordan210

I once went out with a girl from Sunderland and is a Sunderland fan. She was always craving attention on petty things.

Maybe it’s a local trait.

Users who are viewing this thread