Strikes Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

Firstly let's start with a level playing field here.

Let us not confuse the act of electing governments which involves voting for a variety of parties (first past the post normally wins - or if not enough = coalition) with voting in this public sector strike with one of two choices - OUT or IN

The actual number of union members voting represented about 30% of the membership and if 60% voted OUT really equates to just 18% of the membership actually voting OUT which surely cannot be construed as democratic

Secondly I would accept a pension pot that would just stand still (ie no guaranteed annual inflation increase) because I have a Drawdown Pension which is closely linked to the FTSE - so for the last 4 years and for the next 4 years at least my pot is rapidly disappearing - I have just had to reduce my monthly draw down by£200 to lessen the pain and will have to do so again in about 3 months time - after that I fear the worst ie NO POT.

So I am afraid my sympathy is a bit muted when considering the Public Sector packages - I would willingly swap tomorrow.

PUSB

rob9872

(Just getting my tin opener to open this can of worms) Do you know what gets me. The biggest problem these days it that people think they are equally deserving of things. Possessions, income etc. The whole reason that the country is in massive personal debt is that people think they have a god given right to have things. There will always be have and have nots in any society but while not always the case it is usually because those who "have" have earned it. I take myself as an example. All through my 20's I did a string of jobs, never put any effort in, never tried to get ahead and pissed my wages against the wall. In my 30's I decided to push on, take some industry exams put in the extra effort and now have a decent job and a better life. It doesn't just drop in your lap. Trouble is you get people, lazy bastards no intention of putting into the system but still expect to spend £1000 on Xmas, have IPhones, SKY etc.

Now o.k we all know about the banks and the issues there buts lets look at the real drain on the countrys finances. 1/ An ever increasing number of people who expect to be supported by the State while they spawn the next generation of leeches. 2/ Still throwing millions and millions on stalemate wars to try and convince ourselves we are a miltary power. 3/ The constant addition of economic migrants on a daily basis to an already hugley populated island. Dealing with all 3 of these issues would save this country money, but sadly it would also require courage.

Please stand for election Macca.

[x] Macca
[ ] Cameron
[ ] Milliband
[ ] The other one
[ ] Racist minority

Covstu

I think the public sector needs to wake up and join the real world on the topic of pensions, you look anywhere else you will not receive a good DB scheme as most have been shelved due to costs and major deficits which sit with the employer or in this case the state. The proposed changes are still very good and people will have to take a view on whether they continue with it or not, their choice!

Another strike is just swaying the public view against public sector workers as they are grinding the country to a stand still and the unions are loving it as its the first time in many years that they have had this type of 'power' and publicity.

Users who are viewing this thread