Strikers (1 Viewer)

japandy

If I have one criticism of SP and his time with us it is in the striker department. Our whole season collapsed because of one player leaving with his strike partner out injured AND NO REPLACEMENT. He had brought in the french lad and then the dutch kid and both left soon after arriving. We had Dagnall and he seemed to fit into our system but he went to Orient. I like SP's system of playing the 'intensity' way and believe that if you have the right system the level or quality of the player is not so important as long as they have a strong work ethic. I use ManU as an example. Fergies style was the winner NOT the players ability. Therefore, I'm not of the belief that if Wilson went we are doomed. He has been unbelieveable this season and I think he has the ability to play much higher. I think he could be the next Sturridge. But it would depend where he went. Clarke leaving was only bad in as much we had no one of his like in the club, AND I don't believe we have now. There has been rumours of players coming in and whatever happens in the Summer we must get 3 or 4 good strikers in. As for all the others leaving like Moussa, I doubt it. This Summer clubs are in for a shock with the new 'fair play' system coming in. Fewer and fewer players will be able to command high salaries and I think few will leave in the Summer.

Noggin

doesn't seem like a criticism of SP to me, he clearly had both hands tied behind his back and was then blindfolded and put in a cupboard thats how disadvantaged he was when it came to signing a striker. You can't think he took on a loan of a player who was going to have to go back to his club multiple times over properly signing a player, he just had no options available to him.

Brighton Sky Blue

The 'new' rules you refer to are for the Championship-League 1 and 2 clubs have been operating under (quite different) FFP rules for some time now. The problem this season has been as much about a very leaky defence as it has over-reliance on one or two players scoring the goals. If you routinely need to score 3 or 4 every week to get a result then there isn't much even the best strike partnership in the league can do (and we had it).

Spionkop

Play at the Ricoh and everything changes. Players will think again. There will be a little more money floating about.
If at Sixfields the whole atmosphere is seriously depressed. It will be the major reason why players will leave.
It is working against the playing side all the time. No getting around it.
Noggin is so right, plus he's had his legs tied up too. The bloke has done well in horrible circumstances.
I'd love him to do it in Coventry. Different ball game then.
Up to you Sisu, carry on being idiots or.......

dongonzalos

You need three strikers if you intend to play 2 up front
The problem is he signed people with the wrong attitude
Which seems strange after having a bomb squad to get rid of those with the wrong attitude

I personally would not have sold Clarke he could not have sulked all season.
It would have been in his interest to finish the season as top scorer, I would have promised him a summer move.

However the replacements of Donnelly and Delf really on paper should have been more than sufficient

I feel sorry for SP on that front

It should have been them two in fire boosted by the return of Wilson

Nick

Administrator
You need three strikers if you intend to play 2 up front
The problem is he signed people with the wrong attitude
Which seems strange after having a bomb squad to get rid of those with the wrong attitude

I personally would not have sold Clarke he could not have sulked all season.
It would have been in his interest to finish the season as top scorer, I would have promised him a summer move.

However the replacements of Donnelly and Delf really on paper should have been more than sufficient

I feel sorry for SP on that front

It should have been them two in fire boosted by the return of Wilson

Both of the players signed were on trial for a while though weren't they?

Users who are viewing this thread