Stop the clock (1 Viewer)

Should we move to a 60 minute “stop clock” system?

• Yes

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • No

Votes: 76 63.9%

• Total voters

Otis

I wonder (haven't really thought this through at any great length 🤪), could there be a limit on the number of yellow cards a team receives in a game? Anything over the limit results in your side being reduced to 10 men.

Just keep hearing about "sharing/distributing" yellow cards around the team, so it's not the same player booked twice. Almost like they are taking it in turns.

Saudia Arabia received 6 yellow cards today.

If you had a limit of say 3 or 4, would that work? So if someone then receives a yellow card once the limit has been reached, the team has to reduce their ranks down to 10.

🤔

wingy

I wonder (haven't really thought this through at any great length 🤪), could there be a limit on the number of yellow cards a team receives in a game? Anything over the limit results in your side being reduced to 10 men.

Just keep hearing about "sharing/distributing" yellow cards around the team, so it's not the same player booked twice. Almost like they are taking it in turns.

If you had a limit of say 3 or 4, would that work? So if someone then receives a yellow card once the limit has been reached, the team has to reduce their ranks down to 10.

🤔
I think two of those were harsh.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I’d worry about how the head injury rule could be abused, under the cosh? Striker goes down holding his head and you bring a CB on for ten mins to see you through to half time. On top? Chuck a poacher on for a bit.

Agree with the thrust though.
Alternatively you can make all head injuries mandatory rolling subs. Would certainly stop the fake ones

get what you’re saying about tactical subs though

Covkid1968#

No…. We all get angry and vocal about shithousery when it’s against us and we all chuckle at Wilson’s effort of the dark art. I don’t want to remove all that emotion from the game…. That’s why we love live Footie

duffer

I’d worry about how the head injury rule could be abused, under the cosh? Striker goes down holding his head and you bring a CB on for ten mins to see you through to half time. On top? Chuck a poacher on for a bit.

Agree with the thrust though.

Completely fair point mate, there's definitely still room for abuse, but I think just from a player safety stuff it's something that needs to happen for head injuries.

If it also stops a bit of dicking about to waste time, so much the better.

shmmeee

No…. We all get angry and vocal about shithousery when it’s against us and we all chuckle at Wilson’s effort of the dark art. I don’t want to remove all that emotion from the game…. That’s why we love live Footie

Only because it happens to us all the freaking time. I’d rather we didn’t have to do it but we do or we’re at a disadvantage like all this stuff.

shmmeee

Completely fair point mate, there's definitely still room for abuse, but I think just from a player safety stuff it's something that needs to happen for head injuries.

If it also stops a bit of dicking about to waste time, so much the better.

I was amazed the Iran keeper wasn’t forced off yesterday. If it was a cartoons he’d have had birds flying round his head.

duffer

I'd politely disagree with this too mate. I do love footie, but I hate the endless shithousing that's crept into the game and is becoming classed as "gamesmanship". It adds nothing in reality, imho.

I can see how having how a pantomime villain or two gets the crowd going, but for all of that it's not really what I pay to watch. Appreciate you may differ. 🙂

duffer

I was amazed the Iran keeper wasn’t forced off yesterday. If it was a cartoons he’d have had birds flying round his head.

That was really very, very naughty. He was obviously concussed, and a second concussion whilst in that state is supposed to be particularly dangerous.

That said, I thought it was very decent of us not to try to take advantage, by actually attacking or sticking anything in the box whilst he was struggling. 😁

Otis

I'd politely disagree with this too mate. I do love footie, but I hate the endless shithousing that's crept into the game and is becoming classed as "gamesmanship". It adds nothing in reality, imho.

I can see how having how a pantomime villain or two gets the crowd going, but for all of that it's not really what I pay to watch. Appreciate you may differ. 🙂
Exactly and has been said, the ball is actually in play for such a small amount of the game, it really does spoil the enjoyment for me.

Irish Sky Blue

I just sit there getting more and more frustrated by blatant cheating. I don’t like it when we do it either. I come to see a game, not players taking as long as they can over every part of the game when the ball isn’t in play. It needs to be stopped.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

cricket has concussion subs but they have to be like for like, so you can't bat first then sub in an extra bowler or anything like that.
That’s a bit more easier than football though, especially is say A defender gets a head injury - we could argue sheaf can play there, also with limited subs you may not have like for like on the bench

Otis

I just sit there getting more and more frustrated by blatant cheating. I don’t like it when we do it either. I come to see a game, not players taking as long as they can over every part of the game when the ball isn’t in play. It needs to be stopped.
Yup, same. I hate it whoever does it, us or them.

I don't even like taking the ball into the corner to try and kill time.

If we are winning 1-0, I always want us to go and try and get a second. 😂

Irish Sky Blue

Yup, same. I hate it whoever does it, us or them.

I don't even like taking the ball into the corner to try and kill time.

If we are winning 1-0, I always want us to go and try and get a second. 😂
Same for me. I usually agree with most things Oggy says in commentary but his ‘game management’ ideas, taking the ball to the corners, good fouls, taking one for the team, I totally disagree with.

lifeskyblue

Personally don’t mind the taking ball into corners…at least the ball is in play. Can’t abide though the wasting time at throws, goal kicks, non injuries, cramp after 65 mins etc. I think more bookings (including second yellows leading to sending offs), not allowing players back on immediately following unnecessary treatment and adding on every second of blatant time wasting would make players/managers think differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad Boy

Personally don’t mind the taking ball into corners…at least the ball is in play. Can’t abide though the wasting time at throws, goal kicks, non injuries, cramp after 65 mins etc. I think more bookings (including second yellows leading to sending offs), not allowing players back on immediately following unnecessary treatment and adding on every second of blatant time wasting would make players/managers think differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 huge clocks either end so everyone can see them and everytime play stops the clock stops. Throws in, fouls, feigning injury, keepers lying on the ground with the ball in their hands, every single trick designed to waste time, the clock stops. We have the full minutes of playing time and I'd be quite happy if the game went on for 3 hours until we saw the the completed 90 minutes.

Last edited:

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

To be fair - I’m still fuming at O’Hare for trying to. Timewaste against Shrewsbury before diving… leading to them scoring against us and being our last defeat in league 1

shmmeee

I don’t mind anything like “good fouls” or whatever as long as they get the correct punishment reliably. Stopping the ball on the line with your hand for example is almost always a red (before double jeopardy) same as hacking down as last man but that’s a decision you make. But when you’ve got teams timewasting from the start and the yellows don’t come out until the 80th minute the punishment just doesn’t work as a deterrent.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Know it would be hard to police when a player has had 5 bookable fouls on them .The last offender should be sent off.Too many times you see the most skillfull players treated terrible.Like others have said an early booking for timewasting would nip that in the bud.Standing in front of the ball is one that gets me i thought it was a bookable offence .Some laws need to be updated and some enforced.

Ian1779

I don’t mind anything like “good fouls” or whatever as long as they get the correct punishment reliably. Stopping the ball on the line with your hand for example is almost always a red (before double jeopardy) same as hacking down as last man but that’s a decision you make. But when you’ve got teams timewasting from the start and the yellows don’t come out until the 80th minute the punishment just doesn’t work as a deterrent.
I’d like to see sin bins for cynical fouling.

CovLis86

If it was 70min stop clock games, I'd bet any money we are the first team to have a ball on the line at 70:00 and crossing it at 70:01

Blake

If you want to see how this would work, watch an ice hockey game. It's basically the same concept as football, except a puck and sticks, rather than a ball. The game clock is 60 minutes and the clock stops when play stops. If the puck goes into the net at the very end of a period, they review it to see if it made it on time or if it didn't (and sometimes it is as close as a tenth of a second). But there isn't the extensive time-wasting like you see in football. I hate to see how long it takes teams who are ahead to make a goal kick or take a throw in. Occasionally, a goalie will waste time with an equipment issue, but that's typically when his team is tired and isn't allowed to make a change because of an icing. The fact is, everyone can see how much time is left and it's not an arbitrary decision by the ref.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The article it says the head of the referee group or whatever mentioned it last week, but obviously Noone took any notice of what I’d quite a significant difference? Seems a bit random that no one talked about it
I think everyone just kind of ignored cos they just thought "yeah, right! Heard that before."

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I’d like to see sin bins for cynical fouling.
I'd be fine with that but again only really possible if you play stop the clock. Otherwise you'd have 5-10 mins of the team down to ten feigning injury etc. until they got back to full strength.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If you want to see how this would work, watch an ice hockey game. It's basically the same concept as football, except a puck and sticks, rather than a ball. The game clock is 60 minutes and the clock stops when play stops. If the puck goes into the net at the very end of a period, they review it to see if it made it on time or if it didn't (and sometimes it is as close as a tenth of a second). But there isn't the extensive time-wasting like you see in football. I hate to see how long it takes teams who are ahead to make a goal kick or take a throw in. Occasionally, a goalie will waste time with an equipment issue, but that's typically when his team is tired and isn't allowed to make a change because of an icing. The fact is, everyone can see how much time is left and it's not an arbitrary decision by the ref.
Can't do that so much at lower levels. I prefer the rugby method of play carries on until the ball goes out.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

A few points on this matter.
Having a 60 minute stop clock system must not happen as it's clearly unpractical in all forms of the game. Hardly going to be done at Sunday League or even Conference standard.

Timewasting has become almost as bad for the image of the game as faking fowls. Wigan were absolutely terrible and took it in turns to just sit on the floor and feigning some injury.

Something has to be done and it seems that it has at this world cup. Officials playing 9 or 10 minutes injury time in both halfs seems to have eradicated time wasting. It's pretty boring have such long injury times played but its worked.

I suggest UK officials follow the same pattern. for those people who leave 5 or 10 minutes early in a match they would miss a massive portion of the game and might think twice in future about that. However people do need to know when a game is likely to finish though for planning their journey. For instance 1500 kickoff would normally finish at around 1650 to 1655 and could be 1700 or 1710! However as soon as managers know timewasting is literally a 'waste of time' under new system they wouldnt do it anymore.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

A few points on this matter.
Having a 60 minute stop clock system must not happen as it's clearly unpractical in all forms of the game. Hardly going to be done at Sunday League or even Conference standard.

Timewasting has become almost as bad for the image of the game as faking fowls. Wigan were absolutely terrible and took it in turns to just sit on the floor and feigning some injury.

Something has to be done and it seems that it has at this world cup. Officials playing 9 or 10 minutes injury time in both halfs seems to have eradicated time wasting. It's pretty boring have such long injury times played but its worked.

I suggest UK officials follow the same pattern. for those people who leave 5 or 10 minutes early in a match they would miss a massive portion of the game and might think twice in future about that. However people do need to know when a game is likely to finish though for planning their journey. For instance 1500 kickoff would normally finish at around 1650 to 1655 and could be 1700 or 1710! However as soon as managers know timewasting is literally a 'waste of time' under new system they wouldnt do it anymore.
Why would it be impractical? Out of interest how does Rugby work at grass roots level??

Sky Blue Harry H

🤔
I like the idea, but do wonder if the opposing team start doing everything they can to feign 'fouls' from challenges, particularly if the team is near the limit. May well work with VAR (sigh) who could check the validity of each yellow card decision - leading to a yellow for the other team trying to con the ref. E quite like the player having to go off for 10 minutes for a yellow (again, checked by VAR, to avoid incorrect decisions, or a yellow for the other player if they have dived etc.

Users who are viewing this thread