Match Thread Stoke City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 17th Feb (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Different for a bunch of reasons, not least that Wrexham were akin to a lower League 1/Top L2 side.

People are suggesting player Andrews and Lusala against Maidstone.

We played Palmer, Godden, Eccles, Bidwell and Sheaf against Wrexham and got torn to shreds.

They were still a non-league side.

PVA

We played Palmer, Godden, Eccles, Bidwell and Sheaf against Wrexham and got torn to shreds.

They were non league but they won the division with 111 points losing 3 games all season.

Maidstone are a division below that, and have lost 8 games out of 32 this season.

Some of the top scorers in that division this year include Jordan Young, who played just 3 minutes in the EFL Trophy for us.

With all due respect to him if he's one of the best players in the division I think Tavares and Andrews will be just fine.

pusbccfc

They were non league but they won the division with 111 points losing 3 games all season.

Maidstone are a division below that, and have lost 8 games out of 32 this season.

Some of the top scorers in that division this year include Jordan Young, who played just 3 minutes in the EFL Trophy for us.

With all due respect to him if he's one of the best players in the division I think Tavares and Andrews will be just fine.

Maidstone beat Ipswich in the last round who rested players. Robins is not going to throw youth team players who are currently miles off starting games.

If he does, he is running a risk.

pusbccfc

Bit different

The difference is, the sides people are suggesting we put out against Maidstone are weaker than the team we put out against non-league Wrexham.

Obviously there is a difference between Maidstone and Wrexham of last year but look at the previous round..

Boicey

Taxi for Robins that lasted a few years?

I've taken a lot of shite from people like yourself for pointing out ludicrous comments about Simms. It's easy for ne to notice those that have now gone AWOL. You still won't admit Robins is a very good manager so I only expect snide remarks from you on the subject of Simms.
What I’d say about Simms he is played well today and scored a good goal that was admittedly put on an absolute plate for him. I’m happy for him.
But he’s currently #35 on the championship striker list and we know he’s struggled and has plenty of weaknesses. So a bit early for breathless fan boying.
Let’s see some consistency.

wingy

What I’d say about Simms he is played well today and scored a good goal that was admittedly put on an absolute plate for him. I’m happy for him.
But he’s currently #35 on the championship striker list and we know he’s struggled and has plenty of weaknesses. So a bit early for breathless fan boying.
Let’s see some consistency.
Let's just let him peak at the right time,all part of Robins plan!

shepardo01

They were a one off "galactico's' non league team who had football league quality players on their wage bill getting paid more than a fair few of our players.
Maidstone are playing a level below that Wrexham side - equivalent of what Leamington were playing recently.
Don't think he'll load the side with young players but he can definitely afford to significantly change things up.

pusbccfc

They were a one off "galactico's' non league team who had football league quality players on their wage bill getting paid more than a fair few of our players.
Maidstone are playing a level below that Wrexham side - equivalent of what Leamington were playing recently.
Don't think he'll load the side with young players but he can definitely afford to significantly change things up.

Wrexham were good but are hardly pulling up trees in League 2.

Brighton Sky Blue

A Blackburn side in awful form made very light work of them in a higher division.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yes? They’re pro footballers not some kids from the park. Tavares started for us today in the Championship FFS
But then you could say the top PL academies are probably at a higher standard than most league teams, yet their U21's routinely get beaten by lower league team in the JPT or whatever it's called now.

They might be pro footballers but they'll be playing against men. That physicality will be a big test for them. Maidstone know they won't outplay us so they'll definitely try and outmuscle us.

I was erring towards starting with a strong team and bringing fringe players on given our past record against lower league teams. Now with injuries I'm swayed more towards showing faith in the fringe players and have the big guns on the bench just in case. But when I say fringe I'm talking Kelly and Tavares, not Andrews and Lusala.

SBT

We can't surely be nervous about playing Maidstone still? Robins will keep the team professional and focussed, but as we're not playing we can afford (for once!) to be confident that we'll win, surely!
They beat Ipswich a few weeks ago and we lost to Wrexham last season - we really need to be looking at whether a forfeit might be possible before it gets embarrassing.

NorthernWisdom

They beat Ipswich a few weeks ago and we lost to Wrexham last season - we really need to be looking at whether a forfeit might be possible before it gets embarrassing.
And anybody who watched that Ipswich game will wonder just how they managed to beat them, too.

I mean, we're even at home so we're not going to some nasty non league ground with cold showers and other cliches, so what excuse is there for not being confident?

Tommo1993

Even in his most delirious state, could you imagine Robins camping our back 4 halfway into Maidstone’s half?

TomRad85

I'm also, tbf, pretty sure that even in his most delerious state he won't be playing Lusala too ;)
There's no way he brings kids that don't play in. He'll rest as many as he can, we'll be looking at Binks, Dasilva, Palmer, Kelly, Godden, Tavares etc... and he'll fill in the gaps with some players I'm sure he'd rather be resting, but hopefully we can put it away quickly and just stroll about.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Adge

Can we do it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke? Yep-on a wet Saturday aswell!
It was that sort of game-gritty determined performance, the type that the good teams always seem to win despite not playing well.
Good view of Sims goal from here aswell 😁

Attachments

• IMG_3032.jpeg
    IMG_3032.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26

NorthernWisdom

There's no way he brings kids that don't play in. He'll rest as many as he can, we'll be looking at Binks, Dasilva, Palmer, Kelly, Godden, Tavares etc... and he'll fill in the gaps with some players I'm sure he'd rather be resting, but hopefully we can put it away quickly and just stroll about.

There's maybe a vague chance I guess that somebody like Andrews gets sneaked in as the one kid, but let's face it whatever lineup he puts out will not be at a level that should be losing to Maidstone!

TomRad85

There's maybe a vague chance I guess that somebody like Andrews gets sneaked in as the one kid, but let's face it whatever lineup he puts out will not be at a level that should be losing to Maidstone!
Yeh maybe Andrews at a push as he's been buzzing around the squad more than the others.

shmmeee

Cant believe people think a team made up entirely of players from our last Championship match day squad would lose to Maidstone TBH.

SBT brains - Wrexham? It’s damn near destroyed em.

Reactions: SBT

shmmeee

But then you could say the top PL academies are probably at a higher standard than most league teams, yet their U21's routinely get beaten by lower league team in the JPT or whatever it's called now.

They might be pro footballers but they'll be playing against men. That physicality will be a big test for them. Maidstone know they won't outplay us so they'll definitely try and outmuscle us.

I was erring towards starting with a strong team and bringing fringe players on given our past record against lower league teams. Now with injuries I'm swayed more towards showing faith in the fringe players and have the big guns on the bench just in case. But when I say fringe I'm talking Kelly and Tavares, not Andrews and Lusala.

Andrews and Lusala are first team players in the first team squad most weeks. Lusala is 21, not 15. He is a man. He’s a year younger than Simms and Thomas. Andrews is only 17 but again has been on the pitch as a first team player.

Am I going mad here? If you can’t play one U21 in a team of 11 against Maidstone when can you?

People acting like I’m suggesting we field a full team of U11s. Half that side started our last Championship game!

Reactions: SBT

Users who are viewing this thread