Steve Bull (1 Viewer)

AlansEyes

Incredibly old news (up there with Gray's gone) but I heard something earlier that I had either forgotten or didn't realise - how close we were to signing Steve Bull in 1995. Apparently it was all agreed between Bull and Big Ron before Bull backed out. This was 1995, so may have been that we ended up signing Whelan instead? One thing I found interesting was Bull said Wolves offered him a 3 year deal. Cov offered him the same money he would earn in three years at Wolves but over 5 years! Good to hear Ron was keeping hold of the purse strings to some degree. Probably best it didn't come off, not sure signing a 30 year old Bull on a five year deal would have been the best move. Can't imagine he would have worked well with Dion. Saying that, I'd have taken him over Simon Howarth and Kyle Lightbourne.

slowpoke

Sat by Steve Bull on plane to Portugal a few years ago real nice ordinary bloke spoke about that transfer and he said he pulled out of the deal right at the last moment due to his affection for Wolves.

fernandopartridge

It was a good job anyway, he was way past his best by 95 and wasn't even a regular starter for Wolves by 98. Funnily enough one of his successors at Wolves was a young Irish striker who we did sign in 1999.

Gynnsthetonic

I thought it was the pressure from the Wolves fans that made Wolves pull out of the deal, phone lines were jammed, demonstrations against the board planned, I thought Steve Bull and the board thought this just isn't worth it.
Didn't we also try to sign Bob Taylor from WBA a few years later and similar happened?

Adge

I thought it was the pressure from the Wolves fans that made Wolves pull out of the deal, phone lines were jammed, demonstrations against the board planned, I thought Steve Bull and the board thought this just isn't worth it.
Didn't we also try to sign Bob Taylor from WBA a few years later and similar happened?
Yep this. Fans at Wolves went ape.

clint van damme

Remember him in Mickey Gynns testamonial, his finishing was great, still knew where the back of the net was.

slowpoke

Bob Taylor was a bloody good striker too

Terry_dactyl

When Cov were playing away the old man would take me to watch Pompey, if Pompey were playing close by.
One game it was 0-0 at half-time, 5-0 at full time. Bull got 3 that day I think. Pretty sure Venus was playing for them.
Would’ve been good to see how he got on in the top flight but gotta respect him staying with them all that time.

The Philosopher

He could most certainly finish that man. He seemed to have a shoot-on-sight policy which definitely paid off.

As a kid I remember Sillett getting Dixie McNeil in to be a “finishing coach”. Can’t remember if it worked that well or not.

Nonetheless, it’s something that we could think about. The stattos on here may know better but I’m sure our chances to goals ratio needs to improve.

Ex players and coaches don’t earn a fraction of that which a player does so sacrificing a small amount of budget in this area may prove good value.

Robins wasn’t as prolific a finisher as say, Steve Bull was (I’m waffling here about this because it’s a Steve Bull thread) so getting someone like him in to do a support / coaching role might be an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread