Sterling (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Immense today, most of our attacking threat came through him.

Feel a bit sorry for him sometimes and you can see he gets annoyed, he runs down the pitch and then there's one person in the box stood still waiting for the ball with their defenders.

Magwitch

I’ve said a number of times put Grimmer at right back, Sterling in front of him wide right midfield and put Thomas left wing.

rob9872

He's in with a good chance.

Kelly has been good too, mind.
Sterling yes but Kelly wtf??? Awful again today. Sideways backwards and no strength. Also doesn't lead. For all Doyle's issues lately we miss his voice and organisation prjbanlg more than his play. No leadership at all.

Nick

Administrator
Sterling yes but Kelly wtf??? Awful again today. Sideways backwards and no strength. Also doesn't lead. For all Doyle's issues lately we miss his voice and organisation prjbanlg more than his play. No leadership at all.

We can't play somebody solely for them organising though.

steve82

Yes he lacked real leadership, but the sideways and backwards movements created openings that first half as we managed the ball rotation well inviting Blackpool to press in turn opening them up creating space between the lines and the sides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rob9872

Yes he lacked real leadership, but the sideways and backwards movements created openings that first half as we managed the ball rotation well inviting Blackpool to press in turn opening them up creating space between the lines and the sides.

Someones been reading a coaching manual!
However its dressed up he's too negative and doesn't offer enough of a threat going forwards or break down the opposition when we don't have it.

eastwoodsdustman

I’ll admit I was one of the naysayers about him especially after the Bristol rovers away game. At the time he was worse that what we already had but he’s been very good since then. Well done to him and to Robins for sticking with him.

steve82

Someones been reading a coaching manual!
However its dressed up he's too negative and doesn't offer enough of a threat going forwards or break down the opposition when we don't have it.

It’s not a case of reading the coaching manual it’s seeing what’s being played out in front of you and seeing why he’s not peppering needless balls forwards to say I’m being positive, he can still be positive in a composed manner.

Westbrooke today or Bayliss usually are the ones given the license to be the creative/dynamic midfielder predominantly and Kelly or Doyle are tasked with being disciplined just making sure things tick over in a more composed manner in a deeper position given less freedom than their partner.

That’s instructions from MR in what he asks them to to be in this 4231 system not Kelly opting to be negative in his play.

rob9872

So he wins nothing, he's not vocal and plays the ball sideways but he's composed in doing so. I thought being overweight and 46 that my time had gone but if you become gaffer I'll have to think about a trial.

steve82

So he wins nothing, he's not vocal and plays the ball sideways but he's composed in doing so. I thought being overweight and 46 that my time had gone but if you become gaffer I'll have to think about a trial.

Today’s one of them days we dissect everything and highlight all the issues. The bigger issue from today again is the missing of our chances putting the game to bed before we invite the usual frailties upon ourselves.

Todays not about how effective Liam Kelly was or wasn’t in or out of possession in our eyes, that was the least of the issues to talk about today and mostly of the season.

Last edited:

rob9872

Today’s one of them days we dissect everything and highlight all the issues. The bigger issue from today again is the missing of our chances putting the game to bed before we invite the usual frailties upon ourselves.

Todays about not how effective Liam Kelly was or wasn’t in or out of possession in our eyes, that was the least of the issues to talk about today and mostly of the season.

It was a response to a post suggesting he's in line for player of the season so I was pointing out a few of his many misgivings

HerneBayGaz

After being lambasted by many for being ‘not good enough’ after a few average-but-not-actually-that-bad games, is he going to be our player of the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes spot on. Didn't get off to the best of starts. But I thought you could see the potential in his play. Cool calm and Collective. As things stand it will be a close call between Luke Thomas and him for player of the season

steve82

It was a response to a post suggesting he's in line for player of the season so I was pointing out a few of his many misgivings

That’s fair enough, he’s not played enough games to be in contention at this stage for me regardless of performance levels

Terry Gibson's perm

We keep on about possession it is useless in the areas we have the ball, for me Kelly involves the centre backs in the play far too often. We should also see what opposition teams do they put the ball onto our defence quickly and players at this level will make mistakes look at Hyam today.

Otis

That’s fair enough, he’s not played enough games to be in contention at this stage for me regardless of performance levels

Yep, but am thinking in terms of City players as well as those on loan.

Think Kelly or Willis would have to be the best Sky Blue player this season.

luwalla

thought sterling was great again , and as some pointed out here I thought he got frustrated at times to have made runs down right & not received the ball.

Sterling did get some cracking balls played over to him though, and some of those came from Kelly... who I thought played ok today. He closes the ball down well, wins a lot of them and plays some decent through balls. Yes he plays some sideways balls, but every pass cant be a defence splitting throughball!! I think he does more right than wrong & is the better option than doyle right now

Irish Sky Blue

I think Kelly has played well since returning from injury. He is always available to recieve the ball and very rarely gives it away. After we went behind yesterday there was the usual clammer from a few to “get it forward”. I was pleased that we still tried to play football and not just hoof it. Kelly is a big part of this. I have been more impressed with him in the last few weeks than I was last season. It is ironic that despite not playing anywhere near as well in the second half as we did in the first we still made at least four good chances through continuing to pass the ball, two for Hiwula and two for JCH.

steve82

Yep, but am thinking in terms of City players as well as those on loan.

Think Kelly or Willis would have to be the best Sky Blue player this season.

Yes in terms of our own players then Willis or Kelly would be my front runners, Dom Hyam prior to a bad 45 mins yesterday has been reasonably steady and consistent in his performances and could be considered.

In truth at this point no one is standing out for me with many just doing enough week to week.

Hopefully a few really grab the season by the neck

Users who are viewing this thread