Stats (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Funny things aren't they.

I was actually going here to see how many goals we got from midfield last season

A couple of things stood out, however.

Now, I can rate Allen, think he brings a lot to the team... would have been slightly worried if he'd stood up for a penalty however! Nonetheless, his goal conversion and shot accuracy is vastly above Palmer's, which genuinely surprises me. It's also above Hamer's, which surprises me even more! There are many you can discount for abeing a small sample size, but even with that I'm surprised at how low Walker's shot accuracy %age is. Also surprised at how low Sheaf is, as it always looks like he can strike a ball.

Godden, Gyokeres, and Allen leading the way on a goal conversion %age. Gyokeres effectively up with Godden despite being considered not much of a finisher.

Of course it's rough and ready... but still interesting!

(Let's see how many times I can emphasise it's a blunt instrument in itself before someone comes and tells me how it is ;))

Last edited:

PVA

As you say shot accuracy is a bit rough and ready - someone could hit a load of pea rollers straight at the keeper and have a 100% shot accuracy

I like Goals - Expected goals as a barometer

That shows us with 5 players with a positive record for the season:

Hamer +1.8
Gyokeres +1.5
Allen +1.2
McFadzean +1.1
Wilson! +0.1

A few possibly surprising names at the bottom of the list

Bidwell -2.2
O'Hare -1.3
Godden -1.2
Sheaf -1.2

So I think the natural conclusion to that is that Fadz is the obvious replacement for Gyokeres!

NorthernWisdom

As you say shot accuracy is a bit rough and ready - someone could hit a load of pea rollers straight at the keeper and have a 100% shot accuracy

I like Goals - Expected goals as a barometer

That shows us with 5 players with a positive record for the season:

Hamer +1.8
Gyokeres +1.5
Allen +1.2
McFadzean +1.1
Wilson! +0.1

A few surprising names at the bottom of the list

Bidwell -2.2
O'Hare -1.3
Godden -1.2
Sheaf -1.2

So I think the natural conclusion to that is that Fadz is the obvious replacement for Gyokeres!
tbf I wouldn't say O'Hare's surprising on that list, that's always been the glaring weakness of his game. If he spends his time out studying videos of Hamer, Gyokeres, and Allen(!) then we could have some player on his return!

shmmeee

Well... not that accurate as it turns out!

Mostly cos of number of long shots I’d guess, are free kicks counted? Similarly one thing Allen has really improved this year is timing and placement of runs into the box so when he does shoot it’s not from that far out I’d guess.

NorthernWisdom

Mostly cos of number of long shots I’d guess, are free kicks counted? Similarly one thing Allen has really improved this year is timing and placement of runs into the box so when he does shoot it’s not from that far out I’d guess.
tbf (and it's a bit of a digression!) I'd argue the team (well... Hamer and Gyokeres) has improved in finding him when he makes those runs!

And yes, I'll refer you back to the blunt instrument statement.

Hobo

All the penalties by both teams were first class, no one got lucky or fluked one. But once into sudden death the pressure mounts on the less capable or natural penalty takers. Plus the Wembley factor!

Happy_Martian

Wilson needs to up his game!!!

Yeah, its an unacceptable level of output from him. For the amount of game minutes played, he still only scored as many as Waghorn and Tyler, both of whom had bit parts at best 🤪 But for shots on target (or should that be thighs on target?), he had the perfect score: 1 for 1 :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread