Start a New Club (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

Do you think any fans of the various clubs who have gone under and been reborn feel like they've transferred allegiance? I doubt it.

I'm sure they don't, but at the moment Coventry City are very much in existence and people are still apparently working to get things back to how they should be.

ajsccfc

No one is saying drop the fight. It is a contingency plan but its looking more likely to have to be a reality.

I think that's probably the main part where we disagree, I just can't take the talk of a new stadium seriously or the idea of a permanent franchise relocation. Of course I didn't take the Northampton move and Ricoh boycott seriously too and that's reality, so all the best with whatever you plan.

mark82

Do you think any fans of the various clubs who have gone under and been reborn feel like they've transferred allegiance? I doubt it. I also suspect that with a strong campaign in the city and serious backing a large majority of fans would prefer to support the new club.

I still feel like the various conversations that are happening about a new club are lacking in focus here, though. Lots of people are sceptical about it working (which is fine, nothing is guaranteed) or being a good idea (also, there's no way of knowing it it really is the best path yet), but I think we ought to start polling for the most important things that fans want to see in a new club. The values of the club, how it's organised (we don't want to ever find ourselves in this situation again, do we?), how to finance it etc. etc. I would still prefer the club to be named ‘City of Coventry Football Club’ rather than ‘Coventry 1883’, for example, but I'm sure that's nowhere near as important for everyone.

So how about that — focus on adding your tuppence on what you'd like in a new club, rather than debating if it should/could even happen?

Completely agree (and agree on the name - that would be my choice too).

mark82

I think that's probably the main part where we disagree, I just can't take the talk of a new stadium seriously or the idea of a permanent franchise relocation. Of course I didn't take the Northampton move and Ricoh boycott seriously too and that's reality, so all the best with whatever you plan.

Have to say I didn't take Northampton seriously either. I was wrong. I think this has now become a personal issue for SISU and Fisher in particular.

mark82

I don't have a problem with it being in the coventry area to be honest. Just outside is fine. It could even end up being closer to Earlsdon than the Ricoh.
I do have a problem with it being Sisu planning it.

I guess it depends where and how far out of Coventry?

Spionkop

Kapowaz, some good points.
The Trust should be openly discussing the 'possibility' of a reborn CCFC, if only to make it abundantly clear to SISU that we have a BIG alternative.
Nobody really wants to give up on CCFC yet. But you are spot on. It would still be OUR club, we'd have to spell it out. This would be CCFC fans TAKING BACK their club. With all the history.
Sure, if we can apply pressure to get back from Sixfields, then great.
Ribbons and banners on the Ring Road are fine and I applaud the people who did that. Well done. But I doubt it will sway Sisu. They are only driven by money.
I don't share Turkeytrot's optimism I'm afraid. But he's/she's right, we can work together. We have a lot of power uniting as one.
A reborn CCFC has to be on the agenda. It might be that if the FA/FL become aware of the growing call, they'll have a rethink. They'll see that it puts the Sisu project (if it exists) into serious jeopardy.

hill83

I guess it depends where and how far out of Coventry.

Definitely, my post was in reponse to people saying they'll never return if it's outside of the covenrty borders. But in my mind that's arbitury line that within reason shouldn't make much difference.

As for a new club, I don't think it's something I could get behind. To much effort for not enough reward for me.

kapowaz

I'm sure they don't, but at the moment Coventry City are very much in existence and people are still apparently working to get things back to how they should be.

If it succeeds, great — it becomes unnecessary. But I think given that any new club would have to wait until 2014-2015 to play means we should be planning all the same.

Hell, if you got all the pieces into position you could theoretically go to SISU and say: we're going to do this unless you sell up / move back to the Ricoh.

Spionkop

Turkey, ok. Glad to see it has been discussed. For God's sake, don't leave it too late if things don't change over the coming weeks.
Another season next year in Northampton would be the end.

mark82

If it succeeds, great — it becomes unnecessary. But I think given that any new club would have to wait until 2014-2015 to play means we should be planning all the same.

Hell, if you got all the pieces into position you could theoretically go to SISU and say: we're going to do this unless you sell up / move back to the Ricoh.

Think this is exactly the point. If nothing else it's another means of applying pressure and should be used.

mark82

Spionkop, yes their has been discussions and groundwork done on a number of scenarios, hence the recent vote for rule change. But the focus has to be on Coventry playing in Coventry until we (members and fans) honestly believe that that is a hopeless cause.

Are you on the Trust board TurkeyTrot?

ajsccfc

Think this is exactly the point. If nothing else it's another means of applying pressure and should be used.

Consider my protest withdrawn. I'll never follow a different team, but I do like this bargaining chip tactic.

mark82

Consider my protest withdrawn. I'll never follow a different team, but I do like this bargaining chip tactic.

Everyone here (you would hope) would prefer this to be resolved by CCFC returning to Coventry but, as Fisher might say, it's not a hollow threat and I at least would be happy to follow this plan through if necessary.

kapowaz

Ribbons and banners on the Ring Road are fine and I applaud the people who did that. Well done. But I doubt it will sway Sisu. They are only driven by money.

This, to me, is the biggest point every CCFC fan needs to understand if they want to get a positive outcome from this sorry story. Protests mean diddly squat to a hedge fund driven by a rational interest in maximising their profit. At this point they are almost certainly running a substantial loss; what fans need to convince them of is that they're never going to reduce that loss, let alone turn a profit (which is presumably predicated on getting their mitts on the Ricoh; I can't imagine building a new stadium would ever make financial sense for them, regardless of the timescale).

To that end, forming a new club (or just getting the wheels in motion) is just another way of convincing SISU of that outcome. I happen to think it's one of the strongest ways of achieving that end, since boycotts and protests are inevitably temporary and fans are fickle (sorry, but it's true), whereas switching allegiance would mean those fans are never​ coming back.

mrbluesky87

One question, at what point do we give up so to speak? Christmas, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years at Northampton etc.

My point is if this goes on and on what will happen is that people and genuine fans will no longer give a shit about watching football on a Saturday afternoon as they will be doing different things and then you lose more supporters. At some point we have to say enough is enough and quite franky Tim stating that the new ground will be close to Coventry is frankly not good enough.

mark82

One question, at what point do we give up so to speak? Christmas, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years at Northampton etc.

My point is if this goes on and on what will happen is that people and genuine fans will no longer give a shit about watching football on a Saturday afternoon as they will be doing different things and then you lose more supporters. At some point we have to say enough is enough and quite franky Tim stating that the new ground will be close to Coventry is frankly not good enough.

Personal opinion is this should be planned this year and followed through in time for next season if necessary.

Spionkop

"Hell, if you got all the pieces into position you could theoretically go to SISU and say: we're going to do this unless you sell up / move back to the Ricoh."

Kapowaz, that's a good tactic. Fight fire with fire. It may focus minds.
If we demonstrate we've got a 5,000 minimum fan base we'll be placed in a higher league. With the passionate fans behind us we'll be able to bring in good quality players at those levels to quickly climb the leagues. Say four years and back where we are?
Where will Sisu Cobblers be? Possibly long gone, part of a Sisu Franchise team. Northampton beware who you are dealing with.
Certainly lets work to rescue our team, but have this as backup surely?

TurkeyTrot

Kapowaz, some good points.
The Trust should be openly discussing the 'possibility' of a reborn CCFC, if only to make it abundantly clear to SISU that we have a BIG alternative.
Nobody really wants to give up on CCFC yet. But you are spot on. It would still be OUR club, we'd have to spell it out. This would be CCFC fans TAKING BACK their club. With all the history.
Sure, if we can apply pressure to get back from Sixfields, then great.
I don't share Turkeytrot's optimism I'm afraid. But he's/she's right, we can work together. We have a lot of power uniting as one.
A reborn CCFC has to be on the agenda. It might be that if the FA/FL become aware of the growing call, they'll have a rethink. They'll see that it puts the Sisu project (if it exists) into serious jeopardy.

Problem the trust has, and don't get me wrong, I know it's frustrating because its frustrating for me and a lot of others too, if we (the trust) start a debate about forming a new club in whatever guise, and also call for Coventry to return to Coventry we will be accused of sending out mixed messages. Do we want cov in cov or a new cov etc.

SunZoomSpark

surely a new club could kick off until next season anyway.....so the priority has to remain Cov in Cov....new club last resort next year if things dont change (or deteriate!)

Bill Glazier

I was talking to a football professional last night and he said something that's changed my views a little.

I was gung - go for a new club and he said we should never underestimate the value of a league place. The Conference is almost impossible to get out of as there is always some rich fool happy to fund some tin-pot club like Crawley ; the Newport owner was a euro-millions winner for crying out loud!

mark82

surely a new club could kick off until next season anyway.....so the priority has to remain Cov in Cov....new club last resort next year if things dont change (or deteriate!)

But you can't just decide next summer. It takes a lot of organising.

TurkeyTrot

What is the feeling amongst the trust board on this? Is there a chance of it being put to member vote at some point? Would carry so much more weight with the trust behind it.
The feeling is if we took that decision to put this route to our members it would be done with a heavy heart and we would have to be absolutely sure all avenues had been explored and all doors shut before a massive decision like this was made. We're all aware of timing so if something was to happen it would be done in plenty of time.
Look at the comments on this thread and it shows you even now the different points of view. Some would go and support CCFC if a new stadium was built near Cov. Some are saying the trust should form a new CCFC as a bargaining tool.
Fans ain't ready to let go just yet, and I don't think it's over, not just yet.

mark82

I was talking to a football professional last night and he said something that's changed my views a little.

I was gung - go for a new club and he said we should never underestimate the value of a league place. The Conference is almost impossible to get out of as there is always some rich fool happy to fund some tin-pot club like Crawley ; the Newport owner was a euro-millions winner for crying out loud!

It's not all about league placing though. You do have a point (look at Luton) but I would rather be stuck in the conference for a couple of years than support a team outside of Coventry.

Jackoskyblue

Yes things need to be all set up ready to go so if the situation is the same we have the full package ready to kick off a new season

Matty_CCFC

Makes sense TurkeyTrot, but we need a fall back plan and that needs to be inplace for next season, or has that already been discussed?
Personally its Coventry City FC or nothing for me but would wish a new club all the best.
Never going to Sixfields which makes me feel that we are never coming back.

When are we going to organise a Protest at Northampton? It must be sooner rather than later, peacfull and organised.

hill83

"Hell, if you got all the pieces into position you could theoretically go to SISU and say: we're going to do this unless you sell up / move back to the Ricoh."

Kapowaz, that's a good tactic. Fight fire with fire. It may focus minds.
If we demonstrate we've got a 5,000 minimum fan base we'll be placed in a higher league. With the passionate fans behind us we'll be able to bring in good quality players at those levels to quickly climb the leagues. Say four years and back where we are?
Where will Sisu Cobblers be? Possibly long gone, part of a Sisu Franchise team. Northampton beware who you are dealing with.
Certainly lets work to rescue our team, but have this as backup surely?

Never likely to happen. Without properly looking into it my guess would be 10 years minimum.

Spionkop

Turkey, hear what you're saying and it is a very valid point. Mixed messages.
Yet the idea that Sisu would be aware that such a new CCFC is strong possibility if they won't compromise, must be a big stick to wave?
They think they've got a straight run, let's throw them a curve ball.
Bill, very true. This reborn CCFC would be a last resort. Nobody really wants to do it. But these are weird times for us CCFC fans. Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.
Imagine at least five years of listening to City 'home' games on the radio. Not good is it.

mark82

The feeling is if we took that decision to put this route to our members it would be done with a heavy heart and we would have to be absolutely sure all avenues had been explored and all doors shut before a massive decision like this was made. We're all aware of timing so if something was to happen it would be done in plenty of time.
Look at the comments on this thread and it shows you even now the different points of view. Some would go and support CCFC if a new stadium was built near Cov. Some are saying the trust should form a new CCFC as a bargaining tool.
Fans ain't ready to let go just yet, and I don't think it's over, not just yet.

Happy to wait but let's not miss the bus with this. It needs to (and probably will) happen this season with or without the trust as there are enough people behind it. The trust board are in a tough position on this, I understand that, but the trust is about all its members not just the board and strategy moving forward should be decided by all members not just the few.

kapowaz

Problem the trust has, and don't get me wrong, I know it's frustrating because its frustrating for me and a lot of others too, if we (the trust) start a debate about forming a new club in whatever guise, and also call for Coventry to return to Coventry we will be accused of sending out mixed messages. Do we want cov in cov or a new cov etc.

The two aren't strictly mutually exclusive. As I say: the ultimate objective is to ensure that there is a club playing in Coventry in sky blue, with a long-term future and the support of the majority of fans. Whether that's CCFC (existing) or CCFC (new) is up for debate, but I would suggest that if there is a concern over mixed signals, the SBT should focus on this ultimate objective, and then support the plans that make sense to further that goal. Right now it seems there's very little that SBT can do to get the existing club playing back in Coventry, so that only leaves plan B…

Spionkop

Hill83, that's very pessimistic. Surely if enough fans want it badly enough we can make it happen.
What's the alternatives? We can fight to rescue our team from Northampton. My take is we have to fight much harder.
We can demonstrate we have a reborn CCFC.

mark82

Maybe the answer is to organise outside the trust and trust get behind it when they feel the time is right (like NOPM and the charity match at the weekend).

kapowaz

I was talking to a football professional last night and he said something that's changed my views a little … he said we should never underestimate the value of a league place. The Conference is almost impossible to get out of as there is always some rich fool happy to fund some tin-pot club like Crawley ; the Newport owner was a euro-millions winner for crying out loud!

I don't think this is that big an issue. Sure, we'd have to compete with clubs like that, but they all have to adhere to financial fair play, and unlike the majority of clubs down there, a couple of years ago we were pulling in home attendances of 18,000.

Users who are viewing this thread