Standing Up (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

[h=3]League Clubs consider results of 'standing' consultation[/h]At their meeting at Derby County on Thursday, Football League clubs were presented with the findings of the recent consultation regarding the use of standing accommodation at Football League matches.

A majority of responding clubs answered 'yes' to each of the four questions posed in the consultation, which were:

1. Should The Football League approach the Minister for Sport to request that the 'all-seater' stadia requirements for Championship clubs be reviewed with a view to the re-introduction of standing accommodation?

2. Should the Football League approach the Sports Grounds Safety Authority to request that rail seating products be licenced in Football League grounds?

3. Should clubs be permitted to accommodate supporters standing in rail seating in the Championship?

4. Should clubs be permitted to revert from seating to standing accommodation in League 1 and League 2 following relegation from the Championship?

The Football League will now engage with the relevant authorities and stakeholder organisations regarding these matters. This will be followed by further discussions with clubs.

Its Chief Executive, Shaun Harvey, said: "The consultation has given us a better understanding of the wide range of views held by clubs on this issue and we will take our cue from the prevailing opinion.

"We recognise that this is both a complicated and sensitive matter that will need significant debate. Therefore, no-one should assume that it will lead to overnight change."

hill83

Shocking stuff. The second I enter a stadium with a terrace I instantly start glassing everyone and pissing everywhere.

wingy

Lets Bring back Rattles,Tea,beer and Pie vendors and Plastic Beer recepticals for Hill83.

LJC_CCFC

Can't remember the last away game when I sat down, so I'm all for introducing safe standing areas in grounds especially if it reduces the ticket prices

Ashdown1

It's not safe to stand at football grounds as it is, every time we score I nearly dislocate my knee on the fecking seat in front !

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Assuming the Ricoh, would it increase the capacity ?

If it's rail seats then no, as each standing ticket has a corresponding seated one.

TBH I doubt if any clubs could revert back to a genuine terrace as gateways/exits have all been built to handle 'x' numbers and safety certs would be revoked.

shmmeee

I like sitting down, my back's agony every away game (maybe I should sic InjuryLawyers4U on Sisu). But if people want to stand I don't understand why we can't let them to be honest. Football and policing has moved on significantly since it was introduced.

duffer

I like the idea of safe standing - it might be the single, only upside to having a new stadium. (If it was going to happen, which it isn't).

It's going to need FL & FA and Government buy in though. That's going to be like wading through treacle. Cold treacle. In flippers.

theferret

I always smile when people talk about the 'reintroduction' of terracing when tens of thousands of people stand on terracing at football grounds every week. There is still terracing in the Championship. We still have it, and it is fine, so why the need for 'studies'? Fuck-wits.

pusbccfc

Safe standing is a-lot safer than fans standing up in seated areas.

It's unlikely to increase the capacity significantly due to the fact its similar to seats with people having their own space.

[h=1]What does safe standing look like?[/h]One of the challenges for the Safe Standing Campaign is to educate our fellow fans, football industry folk and politicians. They say a picture paints a thousand words and the images below show that safe standing does not mean a return to the dark days of the 80s with vast, crumbling terraces and lethal fences (read more in Safe Standing Mythbusters). Modern technology and methods mean safe standing areas are just that - safe. Find out more below.

1. Rail seats

This is the design which many supporters mean when they say safe standing. It's the design that top-flight clubs seem most likely to adopt. There is a safety barrier and a seat on every row (or two). The seats are locked into an upright position for domestic games and supporters stand between the barriers. For European games, the seats are simply unlocked.

• Below left - Rail seats in Klagenfurt (Austria).
  • Below right - Bob Symns (chief executive, Peterborough United - middle row, centre) and representatives of Peterborough City Council with Jon Darch (Safe Standing Roadshow) and Hannover 96 staff among rail seats in the AWD Arena (Germany).
resizedimage600196-safe-standing-hannover-klagenfurt.JPG

In European countries such as Germany, Sweden and Austria, safe standing areas are permitted in top-flight football. Many grounds also host matches in UEFA/FIFA competitions when standing areas are not permitted.
A number of technologies have been developed to allow for stands to be easily converted from standing to seating and back again, where required on a temporary basis. This can happen several times a season with minimal fuss.
One version of the rail seat has a 'lock and latch' mechanism, as shown in the videos below. The key lock enables the stadium operator to lock the seat out of use, if desired, when that area of the ground is to be used for standing, while, when unlocked, the latch mechanism enables the spectator to lower and raise the seat and put it up 'on the latch' as necessary for ease of access and to pass along the row.

2. Clip on seats e.g. Bochum (below)
With this model standing areas include safety barriers every few rows which are easily removable when converted to all-seating. Seats can then be attached to every second row as there's a metal clip on every second step. Seats can be unclipped afterwards and the barriers re-inserted after a game which required an all-seater stadium. Borussia Dortmund's Westfalenstadion uses similar technology on the lower section of its South Stand (while using rail seats on the rear section) and boasts the largest free-standing grandstand in Europe.
resizedimage199150-bochum.JPG

3. Foldaway seats e.g. Hamburg (below)
Hamburg’s ultra-modern AOL Arena includes 10,000 standing spaces and 45,000 seats. As at Bochum, the barriers are easily removable when the stadium is in all-seater mode but the main difference is that when the stand is in standing mode, the seats fold away. Notice that every other step is made of metal? The seats are under the metal steps. This is not going to be suitable for many clubs but it is another option.
hamburg-dual-pic.JPG
Options #2 and #3 are shown for the purpose of providing an exhaustive description of what might be considered 'safe standing' by people familiar with German grounds. They are not necessarily the most suitable options for UK grounds and clubs seem to prefer the rail seat model.
Read more about the FSF's Safe Standing Campaign here.

tisza

The argument I don't follow is why fencing would have to be re-introduced. If people aren't invading the pitch with safe seating and no fence then why would they be with safe terracing? Terracing=hooligans etc isn't a given.

robbiethemole

I like the idea of being able to stand,but with my fooking knee, I also like the idea of sitting if I need to. Rail seats lock the seat away so you have to stand but as Ashdown (I think) said in another post, banging your knee on the fecking seat in front when we score is no fun. I long for my younger days when standing on The Kop was just the normal thing to do. PUSB

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread