Stadium Name Change ? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Can't say the name bothers me too much as long as it is not the Wasps Nest or something.

Everybody will still call it the Ricoh anyway apart from the media.

oscillatewildly

Couldn't give a monkeys. It's not ours (never felt like it from the start even when there was possibility of ownership - IMO) and it never will be. Just wait until the owners change the colour scheme, a name change will be the least reason to get your dander up.
It's the chosen venue where CCFC fulfil their home fixtures, that's all that place means to me.

armybike

"You going up The JLR this weekend?"

"Huh?"

"The Jaguar Land Rover?"

"In Whitley?"

"No, next to the big Tesco"

"Oh, the exhibits hall at The Ricoh?"

"No.........actually yes. Are you going up The Ricoh this weekend."

"Yeah, can't wait. "

logjoe

Well they did bring the WASPS to the stadium it will be the JLR have been expecting it since they sponsored WASPS. They were going to sponsor the stadium a long time ago under Fords ownership also.

Bob Latchford

Highfield Road 2 ? :facepalm:

mrtrench

It will be interesting to see how much they get for a ten year deal. They paid about £20m, including the loan from CCC, for the stadium. A ten year sponsorship deal could easily bring in £15m (Ricoh paid £10m). It's a pity that SISU wanted an even better return and fucked it all up.

Bob Latchford

It will be interesting to see how much they get for a ten year deal. They paid about £20m, including the loan from CCC, for the stadium. A ten year sponsorship deal could easily bring in £15m (Ricoh paid £10m). It's a pity that SISU wanted an even better return and fucked it all up.
It does make one wonder what business they're actually good at .

shy_tall_knight

Don't say it cost them £20m, a lot on here say it was only £5m.

The name change won't include the word Coventry, labour voting working class city doesn't suit their image - I'm being serious, I;m sure they are grateful for CCC giving them the stadium on the cheap but that's history

sw88

Chief Commentator!
So if Ricoh lose this sponsorship, can they sponsor our new stadium so we'll still be going to the Ricoh for home games? Just a thought ;)

Then again, with all the negative press their name has been associated with in recent years I don't think they'll be too keen to keep any ties with Coventry!

Terry Gibson's perm

Just makes the council deal look even worse, whoever was involved in the deal should be asked to leave and go empty handed

torchomatic

The Cuckoo's Nest would be more appropriate.

chiefdave

I do find it slightly annoying that JLR have been here years and done little for CCFC but are now all over Wasps.

Sky Blue Dal

Let's accept it we are bitter because WASPs have got it and that SISU totally messed it up. Should have been ours but now the WASPs are now enjoying the rewards.

Say what you like we could have had this stadium on the cheap at the same price as the WASPs but no we wanted it free.

SISU were in fucking cuckoo land. Sorry for my bad language but everytime I see WASP's progression since buying the stadium it really bloody angers me on how our owners let this slip from there fingers.

This should have been ours and something we would have been proud of but now have to stick with probably more broken promises of a new inept stadium in a location only God knows where.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Dal

Don't mean to single you out but why are people now regularly posting this as fact?

Which bit? they could have got it at a same price as the WASPs OR they were hoping to distress the operators to get it maybe not on the free but not being far off as the JR judge himself had noted in his judgement.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Dal

Then a lot of people are wrong. £5m + £15m loan to repay.

Thats a fair deal for this type of stadium. It's not very far of what the Wasp had paid.

SISU will soon find out what they missed out on when they ever find land and start building a new stadium. Trust me the £30m they intend to spend will go way over this figure.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Which bit they could have got it at a same price as the WASPs OR they were hoping to distress the operators to get it maybe not on the free but not being far off as the JR judge himself had noticed in his judgement.

Didn't Wasps get it for enough free if it is worth £48 million or whatever it was?

shy_tall_knight

Thats a fair deal for this type of stadium. It's not very far of what the Wasp had paid.

SISU will soon find out what they missed out on when they ever find land and start building a new stadium. Trust me the £30m they intend to spend will go way over this figure.

Pure fantasy regarding SISU building a new stadium but you are rights £30m buys very little

Sky Blue Dal

Didn't Wasps get it for enough free if it is worth £48 million or whatever it was?

They got a good deal yes and I can imagine it not being far off from what SISU was offered but the WASPs had an appetite to do the deal and SISU did not. They sure realised in a hard way that they were not the only gays in the village

Last edited:

SkyBlueSid

They got a good deal yes and I can imagine it not being far off from what SISU was offered but the WASPs had an appetite to do the deal and SISU did not. They sure realised in a hard way that they were not the only gays in the village

This to me is the absolute giveaway as to why they will never be building anything themselves. They must know what a new stadium would cost and what they would get for the same money as they could have had the Ricoh for. If they were actually intending to own anything, they must have realised that the Ricoh was a bargain.

So who in their right mind would spend more on an inferior stadium miles away that nobody was ever going to attend? 99% of city fans have always known they had no intention. Why don't they just tell the truth for once?

The Gentleman

I do find it slightly annoying that JLR have been here years and done little for CCFC but are now all over Wasps.

Yeah, I can really see a worldwide organisation wanting to back a little league 1 football team which rents a pitch over a premiership rugby team with international players who own a fantastic stadium and events hall :facepalm:

JLR have only started doing very well in recent times, why would they want to be associated with us, they are a company and not a charity. Also, don't they have huge factories all over the place so why us?

Users who are viewing this thread