St Johnstone's PT In or Out? (1 Viewer)

Whats the general consensus on the trophy should we go out to win it or is getting up the league and focusing on that more important?

My thoughts are get our league form up and back on track don't have any distractions. However I think Robins will go for it because we actually have a chance of silverware.

ajsccfc

I heard that there's some kind of ruling that the team you put out can only have a small number of changes from the league game that precedes it, so we really have no choice but to go for it thankfully, as you'd want that core team to get in the habit of winning.

I'd kill for any kind of success, so a JPT run would be magical.

Otis

You can only make 5 changes, so it will have to be a reasonably strong team anyway.

shmmeee

Go for it. We need as much game time together as possible and a boost in confidence. I'd play:

Dunn
Clarke Cameron Willis Reckord
Barton Bailey
Baker Fleck Moussa
McDonald

S: Murphy, Wood, Christie, Thomas, McSheffrey, Ball, Elliot

I'd like to see Dunn as Murphy hasn't impressed, likewise Willis and Wood, McGoldrick is one of the few players to have earned a rest and may not be here long term, and McDonald has looked in need of game time.

Sick Boy

Why are a lot of people so eager for Dunn to play in goal?!

He is nowhere near as good as Murphy, the Northampton fans were pissing themselves when we signed him.

LJC_CCFC

Go for it. We need as much game time together as possible and a boost in confidence. I'd play:

Dunn
Clarke Cameron Willis Reckord
Barton Bailey
Baker Fleck Moussa
McDonald

S: Murphy, Wood, Christie, Thomas, McSheffrey, Ball, Elliot

I'd like to see Dunn as Murphy hasn't impressed, likewise Willis and Wood, McGoldrick is one of the few players to have earned a rest and may not be here long term, and McDonald has looked in need of game time.

Murphy kept us in the game yday with some top keeping

I agree with the game time comment - we should be aiming to get as far as possible in every cup competition and as high up the league as possible.

The numbers may then start to return......

Sky_Blue_Vickie

I'd say in. We have a reasonable prospect of doing well in the jpt and developing a winning mentality and reducing the negativity around the place is imperative. All about stepping stones and we should use jpt as such.

Do wonder why there is such a clamour for murphy to be dropped. Yesterday he pulled of some important saves, claimed most of what was thrown into his area and only issue is sometimes slow to distribute although as players are often running without even looking back for ball he is not the only one to blame for this.

SkyBlueDaz

definatly in! without getting to ahead of ourselves we do genuinly have a chance of a bit of silverwear here, and any form of sucess like that is exactly what this club needs, shake off some of the negativity that surrounds the whole club.

ggrady

Imagine ccfc at wembley! It's hardly like we are going up or down anyway so just give it a go use it to gain some form then see what happens. A loss to York with virtually our best team would put us back 3 weeks again confidence wise so need to win it

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I'd like us to take it seriously. I'd love to see City at Wembley in a competitive game, even if it is only the JPT!

I'd go for:

Murphy
Christie
Edge (if fit)
Cameron
Reckord
Fleck
Baker
Jennings
Henderson
Ball
McGoldrick

Make full use of the 5 changes we can make I say (think I only made 5 in that from yesterday's team?)

I realise the league is our priority but I'd still love to see us competing for some silverware (and we're out of the COC and will have no chance in the FA so JPT is our last option; aside from a promotion trophy via the play offs :) )

Last edited:

Black6Osprey

We have to win every game to keep confidence building. If we don't play our strongest team I don't believe we will win anyway. So for me its play the best team we have or the whole game could back fire and end up killing our confidence for the important game against Swindon.

Ashdown

Imperative to give it our best shot. We have made such a slow start to the League campaign it may be our best chance of success this year.

sky_blue_up_north

We should really go for this Trophy, we've had nothing for years, at least it would give us something to shout about, and great day out at Wembley, and tickets should be easy to get.

Block19

We should really go for this Trophy, we've had nothing for years, at least it would give us something to shout about, and great day out at Wembley, and tickets should be easy to get.

If we get to wembley all of a sudden it will be the best trophy ever, everyone will be moaning about all the "glory" fans, tickets will be short. I doubt we will get there, love it if we did

Hateley's Heed

I have a pal at work who is a Southampton fan who is obviously in his element at the moment watching his team mix it with the big boys in the Premiership. He has said repeatedly that winning the JPT cup was the springboard for the success they have gone on to achieve since. It not only brought in additional funds (which every club would find valuable) it brought some on their 'missing' fans back to the club, and created the start of a winning mentality which saw them achieve back to back promotions in the 2 seasons after.

If you were a league 1 player this is realistically the best chance of playing at Wembley. Imagine the competition for places and extra effort (on the training ground and in matches) that the players would put in to make the squad in the weeks leading up to the final? Anyone remember 87 and how the cup run also produced a team performing better in the league as well?

Would also love a weekend p1ss up down London.......

covcity4life

I have a pal at work who is a Southampton fan who is obviously in his element at the moment watching his team mix it with the big boys in the Premiership. He has said repeatedly that winning the JPT cup was the springboard for the success they have gone on to achieve since. It not only brought in additional funds (which every club would find valuable) it brought some on their 'missing' fans back to the club, and created the start of a winning mentality which saw them achieve back to back promotions in the 2 seasons after.

If you were a league 1 player this is realistically the best chance of playing at Wembley. Imagine the competition for places and extra effort (on the training ground and in matches) that the players would put in to make the squad in the weeks leading up to the final? Anyone remember 87 and how the cup run also produced a team performing better in the league as well?

Would also love a weekend p1ss up down London.......

well said!

sky_blue_up_north

If we get to wembley all of a sudden it will be the best trophy ever, everyone will be moaning about all the "glory" fans, tickets will be short. I doubt we will get there, love it if we did

Not many corporate seats for this, teams will get about 40K each, who else in our league could get 40K there, I would say only Sheff Utd. If and its a big if, we get there pretty sure it won't hard to get tickets. I'd love us to win this competition, as another poster said it could be the springboard for greater things.

Users who are viewing this thread