Squad numbers announced (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Didn’t think max would get thr 9 shirt if he was on the way out,Jobello at 10 is just criminal 🤦🏻‍♂️

Recently the squad numbers thing hasn't been moving players around from year to year based on who's in and who's out of favour. It tends to be you get that number and keep it until you leave. Changes tend to be when a number has been vacated another player wants or if a young player has risen up the pecking order. Not so much with us, but you can get a star player in associated with a particular number so they get given it (i.e. CR7)

Why this is? Could be to prevent antagonism in the squad of 'so and so took my number'. Just keeps everything nice and smooth in the squad.

Could also be a concession towards marketing with the above association with a number. It also used to annoy people (parents esp) when players changed number because kids esp wanted their favourite player and number on the shirt so if it changes it means forking out again. In the modern day of new kits every year this shouldn't really be a problem though.

shmmeee

I get the impression squad numbers are another example of how the club is run. You keep yours until you give it up or leave. No new signings are automatically bigger than the rest of the squad or anything. I think it’s a great idea even if it does seem weird our fourth choice striker is number 9.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I get the impression squad numbers are another example of how the club is run. You keep yours until you give it up or leave. No new signings are automatically bigger than the rest of the squad or anything. I think it’s a great idea even if it does seem weird our fourth choice striker is number 9.

Think I've mentioned this before but I'd love the players to have the squad number relating to the number player they are for the club, like cricket.

Obv couldn't have that many numbers on a shirt so it'd be whittled down to the last two on the shirt (i.e. #1624 would be squad no. 24). Could be an overlap if a player stays a long time so they're still there when the hundredth player to sign/graduate makes the team, or if an ex-player rejoined, but on the whole it wouldn't be a problem very often.

Players given their squad number the first time they make a competitive squad and it's presented to them prior to the game. Make it a real 'moment' like receiving your first cap.

It'd make every single player feel a part of CCFC history - you are and forever will be this number. No-one will ever take it from you and it's automatically retired with you when you leave.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Not really bothered about who got what number, all of the squad is going to be needed

I think Robins has put together a decent enough squad given the limitations of budget and finance. It is a young squad that on paper at least looks to have potential. Not a massive amount of regular Championship experience and i do think it is going to be a tough season, but they have a decent chance of staying up, anything else in my mind is a bonus

Frostie

I find it odd when the keeper doesn't wear number 1. Especially Rui Patricio at Wolves who wears 11...just weird!!

He chose not to take No.1 in honour of Carl Ikeme who had to retire with leukemia so 11 is next best!

That time William Gallas wore 10 though... Shudder

I definitely won't mention Nathan Clarke wearing 7 for us :sick:

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Not really bothered about who got what number, all of the squad is going to be needed

I think Robins has put together a decent enough squad given the limitations of budget and finance. It is a young squad that on paper at least looks to have potential. Not a massive amount of regular Championship experience and i do think it is going to be a tough season, but they have a decent chance of staying up, anything else in my mind is a bonus

Young and fearless!

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He chose not to take No.1 in honour of Carl Ikeme who had to retire with leukemia so 11 is next best!

That time William Gallas wore 10 though... Shudder

I definitely won't mention Nathan Clarke wearing 7 for us :sick:
The fact he was crap didn’t annoy me... that number 7 really wound me up.

same as Milan Baros who was 5 at Liverpool

Users who are viewing this thread