Squad compared to 12 months ago (1 Viewer)

The Lurker

Goals is the vital thing that's missing, we got lucky in a premier league loan on a untested player. If we had a goal scorer we could well of beat Swindon, Shrewsbury, bury and Northampton. We'd be on 12 points then. 9 better off.
Fine lines....

All if's and buts. And talking of burton away. We didn't have Armstrong playing that day yet beat and scored 2 goals against a top 2 team.

stupot07

All if's and buts. And talking of burton away. We didn't have Armstrong playing that day yet beat and scored 2 goals against a top 2 team.
Yup. Scoring goals is thr hardest thing to do in football, look at villa last season, their inability to score cost them relegation. Problem for us is, we have an inexperienced defence which are now leaking an average of more than a goal a game in the league, which means we're going have to score a goal a game to get a point. Doesn't bode well that we've only managed 2 in 6 games in the league.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

steve82

This is the 2 teams from the same point at the season, first game after the transfer windows.

V Burton ----------- v Fleetwood
4231 formation ---- 352 formation
Lee Burge -------- RCC
Sam Ricketts ----- Jordan Turnbull
Aaron Martin ------Cian Harries
Reda Johnson ---- Jordan Willis
Chris Stokes ------ Lewis Page
Romain Vinvelot --- Chris McCann
John Fleck -------- Vladimir Gadzhev
Jacob Murphy ----- Jamie Sterry
Reuben lamerias --- Garl Bigirimana
Jim O'brien -------- marvin Sordell
Marcus Tudgay ---- Daniel Agyei
Subs. Subs.
RCC--------------- Lee Burge
Cian Harries------- Sam Ricketts
Ryan Haynes-------Ben Stevenson
Connor Thomas-----Kyle Reid
George Thomas-----Reuben Lameries
Lateef Elford-Alliyu---Andre Wright
Marc Antoine-fortune- Marcus Tudgay

No AA as away with England and no JJ as injured in current team

The Lurker

Yup. Scoring goals is thr hardest thing to do in football, look at villa last season, their inability to score cost them relegation. Problem for us is, we have an inexperienced defence which are now leaking an average of more than a goal a game in the league, which means we're going have to score a goal a game to get a point. Doesn't bode well that we've only managed 2 in 6 games in the league.

Nail on the head. Also apart from Jones we have no spark in our team. The Bulgarian has been disappointing and McCann is a good player but lacks any creativity. Clear cut chances have been few and far between this season.

The Lurker

Steve - one stand out thought on a quick glance is the lack of experience in our team this year compared to last.

steve82

Steve - one stand out thought on a quick glance is the lack of experience in our team this year compared to last.

Yes, deffinatly. Only by about 3 players but how telling is that currently. One thing we've still been unable to address is that natural leader.
My concern is the goals currently not the inexperience in defence or team overall. We can plug that with a few journey men as a stop gap... Goals we cannot

SkyBlue_Bear83

If he was playing.ricketts, tudgay.and reid then experience shoots right up.
Yea but hes not gonna play players who are not very good just to have more experience.

Not speaking on Reid but Tudgay and Ricketts clearly aren't good enough to start 46 games a season.

singers_pore

The defense is about as strong as last season. The midfield and especially the striker positions are much weaker. If you can't see that you have no understanding of football. I said before the season started that we would struggle to score goals this season.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't buy any argument that says our squad is as good this year, it isn't.

Sheffied United aren't doing well, but their squad is clearly under performing. I don't think ours is as much at all, if we finished in the bottom half I don't see how anyone could be surprised.

If you match up player for player, admittedly we know some off the first list a lot more, but you'd pick nearly all of them over the new lot. This wasn't a building process, we've let go or lost nearly all of our top players from last year, and the replacements we've bought in are not enough, and I don't think of good enough quality either.

The defence and center midfield aren't strong enough, they can't battle when it'll be required. The guys on the flanks are just kids and actually have an alarmingly low amount of end product. The strikers are a mixed bunch, but maybe one of them could come good.

As I've said before, I hate SISU, but it boils down to Mowbray for me. You can't complain about the budget when you sign players on fees. We're light on center backs but it looks like he threw it all on Turnball. If it was that shit you'd keep the likes of Martin, and bring in a free agent to play along side him.

We're in for a long season I think.

ccfcway

I don't buy any argument that says our squad is as good this year, it isn't.

Sheffied United aren't doing well, but their squad is clearly under performing. I don't think ours is as much at all, if we finished in the bottom half I don't see how anyone could be surprised.

If you match up player for player, admittedly we know some off the first list a lot more, but you'd pick nearly all of them over the new lot. This wasn't a building process, we've let go or lost nearly all of our top players from last year, and the replacements we've bought in are not enough, and I don't think of good enough quality either.

The defence and center midfield aren't strong enough, they can't battle when it'll be required. The guys on the flanks are just kids and actually have an alarmingly low amount of end product. The strikers are a mixed bunch, but maybe one of them could come good.

As I've said before, I hate SISU, but it boils down to Mowbray for me. You can't complain about the budget when you sign players on fees. We're light on center backs but it looks like he threw it all on Turnball. If it was that shit you'd keep the likes of Martin, and bring in a free agent to play along side him.

We're in for a long season I think.

7 goals conceded in 6 games. Only one of the teams in the play offs have conceded less.

Its ups top where we need to sharpen up

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

7 goals conceded in 6 games. Only one of the teams in the play offs have conceded less.

We've played some fucking rubbish opposition though, and at home.

Injury to someone like Turnbull and it does look scary, we couldn't even field a four at the back if that happened.

But yes, up top is worrying. The strikers are firing blanks, and the wingers have no end product, including Jones a lot of the time.

stupot07

A bit of a moot point that given those 4 teams have scored 10-13 goals in 6 games. We're playing a very defensive formation and not really looking like scoring.

letsallsingtogether

yes it does but I'm comparing Cov not Sheffield utd. This thread is about our squad being better compared to last season? So far The table clearly shows it's not as good. Time will tell but based on performances and results no way near as good as last seasons team. That is a fact
Hate to admit it but I have to agree with you from what I hAve wached so far this season. .
Good job the season doesn't start till Boxing day.

Grendel

I'm sure they all wish they could swap with our awesome team.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Other than Sterry--Willis- Ricketts- Page

(and that's with DKE, Harries and Haynes on the bench)

My point was more: What center backs do we have?

Yeah Harries and Ricketts could play there, but one is a kid who (albiet has done better than expected) is still probably not quite there, the other is a player all our fans wanted to bin off and criticised when he re-signed. Not quite the promotion chasing solid center back partnership you'd be after is it? That's literately the predicament with just one injury.

I don't trust the defence at all, and with RCC looking a little shaky, I think it will get worse. That's before you address the other end of the pitch.

robbiekeane

We've played some fucking rubbish opposition though, and at home.

Injury to someone like Turnbull and it does look scary, we couldn't even field a four at the back if that happened.

But yes, up top is worrying. The strikers are firing blanks, and the wingers have no end product, including Jones a lot of the time.
Agree with pretty much all of this

chiefdave

For those who think the squad is weaker than last year do you think we have the second worst squad in the league? If not then shouldn't we be higher than where we are?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

For those who think the squad is weaker than last year do you think we have the second worst squad in the league? If not then shouldn't we be higher than where we are?

Honestly, I think it's probably somewhere in the middle. Whilst maybe we aren't bad enough to be second bottom, I reckon we're probably somewhere between that position and 13th.

I admire the optimism (but also sincerely question the sanity) of anyone who thinks we're top six material.

Hobo

Honestly, I think it's probably somewhere in the middle. Whilst maybe we aren't bad enough to be second bottom, I reckon we're probably somewhere between that position and 13th.

I admire the optimism (but also sincerely question the sanity) of anyone who thinks we're top six material.
Looking at the where will we finish thread, most seem to be predicting mid table.

Captain Dart

Glass half full: 7 goals conceded in 6 games. Only one of the teams in the play offs have conceded less.
Glass half empty: 2 goals scored in 6 games, half the number of the next lowest scorers.

letsallsingtogether

Glass half full: 7 goals conceded in 6 games. Only one of the teams in the play offs have conceded less.
Glass half empty: 2 goals scored in 6 games, half the number of the next lowest scorers.
Glass half empty is where the problem lies.
I have not seen anything from any of our strikers that suggests they have 10 goals in them.

steve82

2016/17 season
7 league Games 8 conceded
2015/16 season
Obviously goals scored is a issue but is defence really that bad baring strength and depth.

Chip Batch

Surprised me today by not producing the expected second half collapse.

I still think we'll struggle though. We're a team that plays nice enough football without hurting anyone. Go behind and we're very likely to lose.

clint van damme

Yes, deffinatly. Only by about 3 players but how telling is that currently. One thing we've still been unable to address is that natural leader.
My concern is the goals currently not the inexperience in defence or team overall. We can plug that with a few journey men as a stop gap... Goals we cannot

problem is they're not easy to come by. Heard an interview recently with, I think. Roy Keane. He was saying every dressing room used to have at least one but now they're hard to find. He put it down to the way young players are molly coddled.

steve82

problem is they're not easy to come by. Heard an interview recently with, I think. Roy Keane. He was saying every dressing room used to have at least one but now they're hard to find. He put it down to the way young players are molly coddled.

The modern era I suppose, bigi sounds like he wants to try, RCC seems a character. Jordan Willis may try, and Tudgay is a big talker on the pitch so I'm guessing there our main leaders in a sense

steve82

2016/17 season
2015/16 season
Obviously goals scored is a issue but is defence really that bad baring strength and depth.

2014/15
7 league Games 7 conceded.
Wow, Bring back pressley!!*
* joking!!!

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Surprised me today by not producing the expected second half collapse.

I still think we'll struggle though. We're a team that plays nice enough football without hurting anyone. Go behind and we're very likely to lose.
Welcome Chip Batch, I love a Chip Batch with Brown Sauce on. PUSB ;)

Users who are viewing this thread