SOUTHAMPTON & SURVIVAL - I Remember It Well (1 Viewer)

It was the 1966/1967 season, yes that's the one, apart from the 1987 cup glory year the fact that CCFC reached the pinnacle of English football by being promoted that year to the then First Division was a dream masterminded and achieved by the maestro Jimmy Hill.

After years of playing Bury, Walsall, Northampton etc the Sky Blues would be entertaining Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal et al at Highfield Road - watching George Best, Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law, George Graham, Peter Osgood: the list was endless.

It was in this setting that my mate, Burnsy and I had, in that first season in the top flight seen 39 out of the 41 previous games travelling all over the country (except for Newcastle and Sunderland - too far in those days).

On the 11th May 1968 we were sat on a coach travelling down to Southampton to watch our boys do the business whilst keeping an eye on other results because we were third bottom level on points with Sheff U who were in one of the two relegation spots.

There were several permutations to attain safety all dependent upon our match of course and Sheff U at home to Chelsea.

Our match was a bruising affair throughout even though Southampton had nothing to play for with our Maurice Setters absolutely outstanding walking off the park at the end 0-0 his head bloodied covered in mud and glory.

Because Chelsea beat Sheff U we managed to stop up by one point and survived to complete 34 years of unbroken membership of the elite.

So it's a quick exit from the south coast on the coach once again and we set off slowly in a line of traffic heading for Cov.

At the same time shock had descended on me when considering the magnitude of what we had achieved with 4 out of the last 5 games away and our heroics that afternoon I turned round and said; Burnsy wtf are we doing heading back without a beer in our bellies and not paying our respects to our fabulous team ?

And with that we jumped off the moving coach and headed back into Southampton with no plans for transport and we didn't give a toss. Found a nice cosy boozer until the early hours of the morning and by sheer fluke a group of Cov fans walked in and offered to take us back home after we plied them with one or two jars.

So all ended well - great day out - nerves jangling - not realising that this last minute safety scenario would stretch out for many seasons to come.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

PUSB

EleanorRigby

Went to that match too, do you remember Maurice Setters taking out Southampton's star striker Ron Davies, in the penalty area and in almost the last minute and glared at the referee almost saying give a penalty if you dare and the good old ref' managed to conjuer up an offside from somewhere. I remember George Curtis playing an absolute blinder too, just having one player like him or Setters today would almost certainly guarentee safety.

What was Burnsy's first name JR,happens to be the family name.

Wingy,

"Burnsy" was in fact Pete Burns (sadly no longer with us) - we were members of the City Supporters Club then based in the Sky Blue Stand Thackhall Street.

Pete used to work at the Jag at Browns Lane and we were City/Drinking buddies for many many years and had some great times on the road

PUSB

Went to that match too, do you remember Maurice Setters taking out Southampton's star striker Ron Davies, in the penalty area and in almost the last minute and glared at the referee almost saying give a penalty if you dare and the good old ref' managed to conjuer up an offside from somewhere. I remember George Curtis playing an absolute blinder too, just having one player like him or Setters today would almost certainly guarentee safety.

ER,

Don't recall George playing that game and in my records no mention either.

He only played 3 games plus 1 @ sub that season;

19/08/68 Burnley (A)
22/08/68 Notts F (A) Broken Leg
15/04/68 Stoke (A) Sub
16/04/68 Stoke (H)

PUSB

EleanorRigby

My mistake, was sure he played but a long time ago, might have mixed him up with Dave Clements another player who would give blood to the cause and that is what it will take to survive this time, problem is i don't think there is any blood in McSheffrey

Nonleagueherewecome

Love these tales of yore, Johnnie.

Anyone remember The Jimmy Hill Years sticky thread on the CT Forum? It was a great read, was close to 100 pages, and attracted some posters that didn't post in other threads. How about we start one here?

EleanorRigby

Love these tales of yore, Johnnie.

Anyone remember The Jimmy Hill Years sticky thread on the CT Forum? It was a great read, was close to 100 pages, and attracted some posters that didn't post in other threads. How about we start one here?
Go on start it, it was magic times and almost a one off how a club was transformed from a run of the mill third division outfit lucky to get 7000 to a team getting 4x that almost over night, an away following of 5/6000 anywhere (no motorways in those days other than the M1, gates of 10000 for reserve matches and hogging the back pages as much as Man. United and Liverpool.

sky_blue_up_north

I remember the game well, went with my Dad and Granddad on the Sky Blue Special. Like you said Setters was outstanding, he kicked seven shades out of Davis... My dad lets have a look round he docks after the game only to be chased by what seemed like a huge amount of Southampton fans.

Users who are viewing this thread