Match Thread Southampton - Coventry City Match Thread - Tuesday 9th Apr (5 Viewers)

Ashdown

No it won’t lol. No one will care other than “remember that little club that got to the semi?”

We’re five off with a game in hand.
You are assuming we’ve won that game in hand.
Look at the Wolves match with all the international commentators. This will be global exposure and many will be willing us to win.
I’m not giving up on play offs but we've looked a bit sulky in a couple of recent games.

robbiethemole

I have never seen a ref approach a player during the run up to a penalty ever before! That has to disturb his concentration and focus surely.
How can he ignore two handball goals as well, Adams clearly deflected the first with his elbow and even with today’s weird rules, it’s still handball and Collins should have done better with the second, but the ball is in off Adams’s arm/hand.

CCFCSteve

Robins not holding back. Mentality of team needs to change. Doesn’t matter if you’re tired. If you want to challenge at this end of the season you find a way.

To be fair to the players Robins has been the one talking about tiredness etc in post game interviews. I thought out of all the games they had an excuse last night after Saturday, second half in particular was mostly just chasing players/the ball

Everyone’s in the same boat though so no issue with him challenging the players to see who wants it and try to drag a reaction out of them. Still surprised he didn’t make a couple more changes last night though

pusbccfc

No it won’t lol. No one will care other than “remember that little club that got to the semi?”

We’re five off with a game in hand.

We've only ever got to one other FA Cup semi final in in our history.

fernandopartridge

To be fair to the players Robins has been the one talking about tiredness etc in post game interviews. I thought out of all the games they had an excuse last night after Saturday, second half in particular was mostly just chasing players/the ball

Everyone’s in the same boat though so no issue with him challenging the players to see who wants it and try to drag a reaction out of them. Still surprised he didn’t make a couple more changes last night though
I think the difference is that we are on the home straight, there is no room for taking your foot off the gas

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

baldy

Im not sure ‘provoking a reaction’ by saying on national TV our players are mentally weak is the best approach.
In private yes.
How would you feel if your boss told everyone publicly, including friends and family, you were mentally weak, would it motivate you or just seriously piss you off?

Haha - what a weedy comment - there was absolutely nothing wrong with what he said

Ashdown

On another note, it was great to see that “ Burbage” Sky Blues flag in the away end last night. Does that belong to anyone on SBT per chance?

Torquay Sky Blue

I'd like to think if I was a professional athlete I'd be mentally strong enough to take it .
And you certainly would be. Nobody survives in football without a bollocking on occasions. If anything he over protected them early in the season. This is when it counts and Robins knows his players better than anyone.

David O'Day

Bizarre that. Although suspect with VAR it's ruled out for handball (which I'm sure even we could all agree would be ridiculous).
In what what way, he plays the ball with his hand to control it

handball even in old money

CCFCSteve

I think the difference is that we are on the home straight, there is no room for taking your foot off the gas

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I agree, it’s what we all want but easier said than done sometimes, as shown by Leeds ‘flat’* performance at home last night. They had the chance to go top and couldn’t muster much. I presume again because they put everything into Saturday

Even one extra day could make all the difference and it’s not just physically, our players looked like it took them ages to switch on properly last night and continued to produce some sloppy passes throughout. We know they’re better than that

*commentators words

richnrg

Couldn’t watch the game but just watched the highlights. Why did the ref stop play after Wright missed the penalty? We were in possession and it looked like he was signalling offside against Wright when he was on the floor and not affecting play?
He just wanted to give the Southampton players a few minutes to finish laughing

Users who are viewing this thread