Songs that bear no relationship to reality (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueSoul

I was born and raised in Cov to Coventrian folks and I've always assumed we have a very neutral accent just because that's what I tend to be told when I meet new people. Should probably be thankful that "idiots" as @Terry_dactyl called them can't hear a brummie twang!

shmmeee

It's a Midlands' accent, how's an accent like the Leicester accent any less distinctive? If anything the Birmingham accent is more distinctive than either.

Nah Leicester isn’t definitely different. It’s not East Midlands IMO. It’s harder.

Johhny Blue

Tiptoe through the west end, get your hat nicked, get your head kicked in.....

They just don't write them like they used to......

Although I confess...I've never tiptoed at that particular end of the ground...unless you include the last game of Highfield road when I stole a sign off the mens toilets as a momento!!!
Maybe the same bog I was hiding in hoping to be the last one out (Turn off the light) but I was found about 40 mins after the whistle and removed.

LastGarrison

I was born and raised in Cov to Coventrian folks and I've always assumed we have a very neutral accent just because that's what I tend to be told when I meet new people. Should probably be thankful that "idiots" as @Terry_dactyl called them can't hear a brummie twang!
Also born and bred Cov but it is a fallacy that we have a neutral accent and I'm with the flying dinosaur we definitely do have a Brummie twang sadly.

I remember being with some Luton lads following England and said "warmed up" and they were like what the fuck is "warm dup". However, it is what it is.

Irish Sky Blue

'You're going home in an ambulance!'

'You're going home in a taxi.'

Merely suggestions surely, with no prior knowledge or insight into the actual situation of the transportation of choice.

'We all agree Coventry City are magic!'

I've seen some deft touches from the likes of Nuddy and Hutch and Ernie Hunt etc.in my time, but these can all be explained with pure logic I would have thought and no actual supernatural effort has been involved.
They were still magic though!

Irish Sky Blue

'We all dream of a team of Gary Breens'
Despite singing it, I have never actually had a dream where all of our players from 1 - 11 were Gary Breen. And I've had many bizarre, and lucid dreams in my life, and sometimes about the City too, but never about this G. Breen line up scenario.

I mean, a couple in defence would have been pretty useful, even a couple more as back up for when we have our usual defensive injury crisis would be handy too...but a Gary Breen on each wing, or as a false 9 would actually be pretty undesirable, and far from dreamlike.
Never really understood why Gary Breen. Not the best centre half we ever had. I suppose Breen rhymes with dream better than Hutch does.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Also born and bred Cov but it is a fallacy that we have a neutral accent and I'm with the flying dinosaur we definitely do have a Brummie twang sadly.

I remember being with some Luton lads following England and said "warmed up" and they were like what the fuck is "warm dup". However, it is what it is.
I think Coventry folk sound more akin to Leicester than Birmingham. When I left Coventry to live in London for many years I never realised I had an accent until I came back and then the vowel sounds were very noticeable. Been back here since 1988 and still hear it. We don't have that up and down intonation iwhen we talk , unlike Brummies.

SkyBlueSoul

Does this mean strangers have been lying to me?? What a world we live in.

They probably thought I had it hard enough being a City fan without finding out I had a brummie twang as well. Ignorance is bliss and all that!

LastGarrison

Does this mean strangers have been lying to me?? What a world we live in.

They probably thought I had it hard enough being a City fan without finding out I had a brummie twang as well. Ignorance is bliss and all that!
Of course not but surely you have to define neutral? Just because they cannot place you as a Brummie, Geordie, Scouser etc. doesn't mean you have a neutral accent.

It just means your accent isn't as strong as others, which isn't a bad thing, but just because they cannot place it doesn't make it neutral.

Nick

Administrator
Wow, thats really deep.
giphy.gif

RegTheDonk

"Port Vale, on a Wednesday night ..... (rpt)"

Sung to struggling Stoke supporters many years ago. Quite ironic now :(

italiahorse

"Your support is Fckuing sh1t"
That's as low as it gets.

May have to mention some Rolling Stones hits later ?

Paint it Black should be a good one for June ;)
We can delay 'Gimme Shelter' for another year ?
Perhaps 'Sympathy for the devil' for some on here ?
For some of our fans 'Street fighting man'

More on Monday :muted:

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

As someone who's lived outside the city for some time and taken many people to games who've never been to Cov I think it is a distinct and rare accent. It's definitely not neutral, it is a midlands accent but nothing like Brummie or East Mids and 5 minutes outside the city you don't hear it anymore. I can describe what it is but when I hear it it's very distinct. I lost my accent years ago and have many people say I should sound like a brummie but when taken up the City many have independently commented how the accent is nothing like expected.

Otis

Even though he was only here for the 1 season I never understood why we didn't change it to a team of Robbie Keanes.
If we did an up to date version now it would be about the fans and a 'bunch of drama queens.'

Users who are viewing this thread