So,when was that deal done? (1 Viewer)

Otis

It was a fairly simple request...I just wanted a goal.
When the second half started there was no doubt that something was "agreed"
Yeah. Agreed at half time. That's why in the 2nd half Bayliss dribbled through in a pre-planned move by both sides and they all agreed he wouldn't hit the shot too far away from the keeper so that the keeper could save it.

Liquid Gold

We did a great job today. Tested them early on but as the game went on they sat deeper and deeper and we realised that we could just play it about and get the job done. At one point in open play their furthest forward player was midway in their half. No injuries, no suspensions ready to smash county on Saturday.

Otis

We did a great job today. Tested them early on but as the game went on they sat deeper and deeper and we realised that we could just play it about and get the job done. At one point in open play their furthest forward player was midway in their half. No injuries, no suspensions ready to smash county on Saturday.
That's the spirit.

Calista

Sums it up perfectly.
This was absolutely nowt like the Bristol match at all, where we were actually passing to the opposition back and forth.
The big difference between the two events is that today it was known from the outset that both sides needed a draw, so with the best will in the world nobody was ever going to take any big risks, especially after about 60 minutes. Embarrassing and tedious, but just a freak of the way the fixtures fell.

In the Bristol City game, the two teams absolutely went for it 110% and it was a rollercoaster ride. The fact that it was 2-2 when the Everton v Sunderland result came through (with less than 10 minutes to go IIRC) was pretty random – the score could have been anything. When Sunderland’s defeat was broadcast, Bristol started knocking the ball around at the back and naturally enough we didn’t challenge them. Like today, but more so. I think possession may have switched a couple of times, but I really don’t believe there was any “passing to the opposition back and forth”.

I’m willing to be corrected if other people remembers it differently.

Otis

The big difference between the two events is that today it was known from the outset that both sides needed a draw, so with the best will in the world nobody was ever going to take any big risks, especially after about 60 minutes. Embarrassing and tedious, but just a freak of the way the fixtures fell.

In the Bristol City game, the two teams absolutely went for it 110% and it was a rollercoaster ride. The fact that it was 2-2 when the Everton v Sunderland result came through (with less than 10 minutes to go IIRC) was pretty random – the score could have been anything. When Sunderland’s defeat was broadcast, Bristol started knocking the ball around at the back and naturally enough we didn’t challenge them. Like today, but more so. I think possession may have switched a couple of times, but I really don’t believe there was any “passing to the opposition back and forth”.

I definitely remember some passing between the two sides.

Might have exaggerated on the back and forth. ;)

Ashdown

I get all the professionalism but that's cos I never spent the £50 notes I would have done coming over, but there will be people spent money they can ill afford to watch a sham!

Warwickhunt

i see Duckens Nazon went to Oldham as they were in the 1st division! welcome back to the 2nd NAZ:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

Warwickhunt

Sums it up perfectly.

Some of the reaction from some fans is all a bit laughable.

We did try to win the game. After about 65-70 mins it all fizzled out. Morecambe then showed no intent at all and we looked very tired. We certainly didn't try hard enough after the 65th minute. We looked rather jaded and went into cautious mode.

Their keeper made 3 saves, one of which was a very good save. There was also a great cross that JCH made a complete pigs ear of. If he had jumped as he should have he would almost certainly have scored.

Let's not make out there was a gentleman's agreement pre-game. It all seemed to fizz out with about 20 mins to go, when Morecambe were clearly happy to hang on to what they had got. Some City players were still trying to get a goal though. Bayliss, Grimmer, McNulty and Doyle were all trying to go forwards when they could.

Reid however, seemingly had absolutley no intent to take the ball forwards at all.

I do hope the FL watch the footage. They would clearly see there was nothing amiss. This was absolutely nowt like the Bristol match at all, where we were actually passing to the opposition back and forth.
city players shaking the hands of the Morecombe subs going off made me laugh though:joyful::joyful:

oldfiver

SKY REPORT
Morecambe secured their Football League status on goal difference after a battling 0-0 draw at Coventry City.

The Shrimps had goalkeeper Barry Roche to thank for a number of superb stops after Barnet piled the pressure on with victory over Chesterfield.

The draw also helped Coventry City set up a play-off date with Notts County. For the Sky Blues it was a first top-six finish in any division for 48 years.

The Sky Blues started brightest with Roche tipping away Michael Doyle's powerful long-range effort after six minutes.

Chris Stokes shot over before Jonson Clarke-Harris headed wide on 23 minutes as the Sky Blues stepped it up.

Roche produced a superb instinctive save to keep out Clarke-Harris after 39 minutes as Morecambe continued to hang on.

Kevin Ellison missed a great chance to give the visitors the lead when Lee Burge got the better of him in a one-on-one seven minutes after half-time.

Roche got down well to save from Tom Bayliss in the 74th minute in a half of fewer chances.

Clarke-Harris headed over from Liam Kelly's cross three minutes later, before Morecambe held on in a tense finish.

Alkhen

God what did everyone expect?

I can understand sour grapes from Barnet/mansfield fans (Sunderland need to Feck off) but from ours it's pure madness. Gotta be a bunch of bandwagon jumping fair-weather fans expecting premier league entertainment?

you only need to watch the highlights to see its wasn't a full on fix. Both teams had chances, only a couple of decent saves/bounces and it could have been very different. Its clear there was no full on collusion to draw from the off But as the game went its only natural for a set of players who nothing to gain and a whole lot to lose to take their foot off the pedal. why would either set of players bust a nut to win?

Last edited:

itsabuzzard

Sarcasm alert!
Yeah. Agreed at half time. That's why in the 2nd half Bayliss dribbled through in a pre-planned move by both sides and they all agreed he wouldn't hit the shot too far away from the keeper so that the keeper could save it.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Legia Sky Blue

I was at the game too, and as I remember it, Fergie & Wallace retreated to the half way line allowing their defenders to just play the ball along their backline. I've certainly no recollection of the ball being passed between the two teams.

steve cooper

Lincoln and Mansfield didn't win either, against all odds and form. Lincoln should have smashed Yeovil but didn't. People were saying a home win for Mansfield against Crawley was stuck on. As a few of us have said, the last game of the season throws up all sorts of strange results, the pressure to get a result nearly always affects performance. We needed a draw, we got it.

Sky Blue Harry H

I must admit I got wound up during the game, but only really during the second half. I've calmed down now. Apologies to the lady in front of me (a regular) who got annoyed because I booed twice at the team clearly not being arsed about creating anything with half an hour to go (only time I've booed it in several seasons, including relegation). I was just frustrated with the tactics. as I thought we should not be risking playing for a draw in case they had sneaked a freak breakaway, when we were clearly better than them. I also felt a bit sorry on behalf of Barnet (although I've got over that bit easily enough). I felt flat coming away from a game that I had been really looking forward to. At the end of the day, I realise it doesn't matter and just pray we can get back to playing a proper game next Saturday night. P.S. Also found myself getting grumpy at some of the numpties dragging their kids onto the pitch even after they had been told to get off. Must be getting of !! Promise to be back on track for next Saturday and I'm going to buy the lady in front a bag of wine gums to make up for my two outbursts of booing! I did clap them off !!

Last edited:

wingy

I must admit I got wound up during the game, but only really during the second half. I've calmed down now. Apologies to the lady in front of me (a regular) who got annoyed because I booed twice at the team clearly not being arsed about creating anything with half an hour to go (only time I've booed it in several seasons, including relegation). I was just frustrated with the tactics. as I thought we should not be risking playing for a draw in case they had sneaked a freak breakaway, when we were clearly better than them. I also felt a bit sorry on behalf of Barnet (although I've got over that bit easily enough). I felt flat coming away from a game that I had been really looking forward to. At the end of the day, I realise it doesn't matter and just pray we can get back to playing a proper game next Friday night. P.S. Also found myself getting grumpy at some of the numpties dragging their kids onto the pitch even after they had been told to get off. Must be getting of !! Promise to be back on track for next Saturday and I'm going to buy the lady in front a bag of wine gums to make up for my two outbursts of booing! I did clap them off !!
Think it's Saturday isn't it H?

Otis

Lincoln and Mansfield didn't win either, against all odds and form. Lincoln should have smashed Yeovil but didn't. People were saying a home win for Mansfield against Crawley was stuck on. As a few of us have said, the last game of the season throws up all sorts of strange results, the pressure to get a result nearly always affects performance. We needed a draw, we got it.
Yup. Some were adamant Mansfield would win and adamant that Lincoln would win and pointed to how poor Yeovil and Crawley were.

Well, the likes of you and I pointed out that both of those teams were capable of getting results of the road and so it proved to be.

That's football for you. It's never an exact science.

Astute

A professional job well done of course but left a bit of a taste in the way we went about it.
Why is that?

You just can't make some people happy. I pointed out before the game that a draw with the bookies were only 8/5 before the game. It is the lowest odds for a draw I have ever seen. And 0-0 was only 4/1. Yet when was our last 0-0? Bookies are not stupid.

So how many before the game would have been happy with a point are now moaning about getting a point? Would they have been happier if we had gone on full attack, Morecambe did a long ball, Burge did his normal and we let a goal in?

And I am happy for Morecambe. They also have owners that have fucked their club up. There's many things you don't know about until you chat to other supporters. And they are a very welcoming lot. I drink with their supporters when we play at their end. My little boy loves it. Once he dropped his drink. The glass broke and drink went everywhere. They cleared up the mess for me and before you knew it 3 of their supporters had bought him a drink. How often would that happen when you are wearing your colours in a home pub?

Fair play to them. They got the result they needed. We got the result we needed. People will moan and whinge whatever happens. And if things go wrong for us in the playoffs we will be able to go and visit a great set of lads in Morecambe again next season.

Gazolba

Morecambe manager to Robins at half-time "Do you think it will be difficult for you to keep missing or hitting it straight at our goal-keeper?" Robins "No, we've been doing that all season, and I'm not going to bring Ponticelli on".

NortonSkyBlue

There wasn't passing between the sides, in fact Bristol City hit the woodwork. Yes neither side bust a gut but it wasn't as blatant as passing to each other.
Alan Dicks, the Bristol City manager, was of course Jimmy Hills assistant during our glory years.
What is overlooked about the delay is one of our fans died of a heart attack in the Sky Blue stand before kick off and there was quite a few medics on the scene.

Otis

There wasn't passing between the sides, in fact Bristol City hit the woodwork. Yes neither side bust a gut but it wasn't as blatant as passing to each other.
Alan Dicks, the Bristol City manager, was of course Jimmy Hills assistant during our glory years.
What is overlooked about the delay is one of our fans died of a heart attack in the Sky Blue stand before kick off and there was quite a few medics on the scene.
Well I remember it differently. I am not saying actually passing back and forth, but giving the ball straight to the opposition and back again.

Let me explain why.

I was beneath the scoreboard and therefore could not see the scoreboard. Neither I, or the people around me could see the flashed up score.

It was the 'misplaced' passes, us giving the ball away to them and then their giving the ball straight back to us that had me having a right old go at the team. I was really annoyed and also puzzled as to what was going on.

It was only then that I was alerted to the fact by supporters further down the terraces that the Sunderland score had been flashed up on the socreboard and I then knew what was going on.

It was the misplaced passes (not many of them. Maybe two or three, from them to us and then us them, from as little as 5 yards away) that alerted me as to their being something not quite right.

Hobo

I get all the professionalism but that's cos I never spent the £50 notes I would have done coming over, but there will be people spent money they can ill afford to watch a sham!

A lot of the cup matches between European teams are a sham then? When the will not to concede is greater than the will to score? Fans have even spent more money on travelling. If you need the draw you don't risk it by going all out for the win.

phildownunder

Yes my recollection is the same as you, Legia and Riyad. I think your summary is spot on..

stevefloyd

I just don't understand our 'fan's yes it was a boring game but there was a lot of tension in the crowd there wasn't the same buzz we all wanted to get to the play offs and that's what we achieved. Both teams had a lot to lose and I think anyone who has played football with a potential pot of gold at the end of a game would have just been happy to have played a game out..i too felt flat after the game but I would rather have felt flat and getting in the play offs than to have felt gutted if we hadn't of secured a place..come on get off your high horses and at last celebrate this part of our victory !!!

NortonSkyBlue

If we had drawn 0-0 last week and won 6-1 yesterday, not only would everybody have a stiffy today but expectations of hammering Notts County would be unrealistically high.
Our season has been inconsistent and why does anyone expect anything different now?

Users who are viewing this thread