So we need a no9, who, and by what means? (2 Viewers)

higgs

If we had a number 9 win who chipped in with 7 or 8 goals and if sparky chipped in with something similar it might be enough to get us over the line if the new wingers got a few goals aswell over the remainder of the season

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

higgs

Would you break any likely wage structure for Mr port vale Tom Pope at his stage of his career when he was available for a free last summer?

He's joined a Bury on loan I believe
Shit missed that hes off the list so Hanson

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Governmac

Roman Pavlyuchenko. He’s only 36. Last played in the third tier of the Russian league where he scored 9 in 13 and he’s a free agent.

Gosford Green

Would you break any likely wage structure for Mr port vale Tom Pope at his stage of his career when he was available for a free last summer?

He's joined a Bury on loan I believe

The last 3 January windows have showed us what paying £500-£800 a week gets us, so why not pay out 12 weeks of top end L1 wages with a bonus thrown in if we get promotion, a few wins (and promotion!) would lift the mood and get a few extra through the gate and this striker (or plural) might be revenue neutral. Some fans might even see this as a sign the owners are not the cunts we all assume and buy a season ticket.

That is probably how a committed football club owners would act, but we are dealing with a hedge fund.

fernandopartridge

It's clear we need a new strike partner for Marc McNulty if we're gonna make the play off push a little easier.

Max Biamou does the ugly aspects but is somewhat finding it hard to score, I'd personally like a similar type of striker to come in as this league is more suited to and needs one.

Would you like another target man?
Would a young loan be any better?
A journey man on loan or short term deal till the summer?
Options are limited in January and are notoriously difficult to get targets in especially at this level.

Who would you like to see us get?
What's your answer to the issues?

I'll kick it off with Alex Revel. He's 34 and returning from injury but still has what it needs. 18 month deal is offer.
Northampton just might wanna get him off the books as JFH looks to reshape his inherited squad.
Not him. We should have learnt our lesson with Mowbray and his 34 club

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Esoterica

I know it'll be an unpopular opinion because people won't see past the positives he brings but in my opinion Doyle causes as many problems as he resolves in this 4-4-2 and contributes as much to the lack of goals as Biamou. Several times on Saturday our young lads played 3 or 4 neat passes and then he'd just hit it long and not very accurately to an isolated Biamou. That's meat and drink to a L2 defence and was a pressure outlet for them whenever we started to build some.

ccfcway

I know it'll be an unpopular opinion because people won't see past the positives he brings but in my opinion Doyle causes as many problems as he resolves in this 4-4-2 and contributes as much to the lack of goals as Biamou. .

how do you explain McNulty regularly scoring then ?

covcity4life

I hate this wanky Sky invention of "a number 10" or "a number 9" - we need a target man you mean.
number 10 in not a target man and not all number 9s are target men. i wouldn't class likes of torres or suarez as target men for e.g

and its not really a sky thing. you really will blame them for anything lol

steve82

The last 3 January windows have showed us what paying £500-£800 a week gets us, so why not pay out 12 weeks of top end L1 wages with a bonus thrown in if we get promotion, a few wins (and promotion!) would lift the mood and get a few extra through the gate and this striker (or plural) might be revenue neutral. Some fans might even see this as a sign the owners are not the cunts we all assume and buy a season ticket.

That is probably how a committed football club owners would act, but we are dealing with a hedge fund.

I don't understand your post, you suggest we pay above the average wage likely higher than the current squad likely risking upsetting the balance of the group for 12 weeks.

Can I ask what hero who is out of contract, fit ready to go and will sign till the summer is available or will leave there current side for us for a short term deal?

It's likely any striker joining isn't featuring much at his current club and being set free by his side to free up a wage, I can guarantee it's not gonna tempt thousands of fans back like you suggest.

SkyBlueCRJ

He's a non starter in every sense.
His age, cost of signing him, wage he'd want to leave port vale....

Exactly, more likely to bag Akinde rather than Pope who's slightly younger and has a better record. Although buying a striker will unfortunately require Willis, Bayliss, McDonald to go.

steve82

Exactly, more likely to bag Akinde rather than Pope who's slightly younger and has a better record. Although buying a striker will unfortunately require Willis, Bayliss, McDonald to go.

Exactly there no logic to paying for a ageing Tom Pope effective as he is at this level when there's strikers of a similar size and can do the job younger and worth the fee.... should we be able to finance it

Esoterica

how do you explain McNulty regularly scoring then ?
A bit more space and his own individual brilliance/confidence.

A freak goal at Grimsby.
A brilliant header from a distance you have no right to score from with a header against Luton.
A tap in from on the line from a corner at Stevenage.
Excellent technique to chest the ball down and roof his shot from a poor Nazon pass against Crawley.
A 25 yarder after a poor defensive header against Carlisle.
A terrible defensive mistake at Chesterfield to put him clean through.
A couple of excellent long balls from our own half - first crossfield from Vincenti at Wycombe (still with a lot of his own work to do) and then a defence splitter from Nazon at Cheltenham to send him through.
A needless penalty he won himself at Wycombe.

What else have we had recently goal wise? Worldy from Doyle. Massive deflection from Bayliss. Header from a corner from Willis & solo effort from Grimmer vs Stoke. Direct free kick from Shipley vs Luton. I may have missed a couple along the way.
We simply don't score team goals. Almost all our goals this season have come from moments of individual brilliance going back to Jones and Nazon too. Our wide players can't cross a moving ball and we haven't produced anything through the middle until the forced inclusion of an 18 year old who can carry the ball for himself. Maybe that will change now with our new loanees but Maguire-Drew's ball retention was awful on Saturday and played a couple of the worst and unnecessary long balls I have seen all season.
Plus I do think McNulty benefits a lot from Biamou occupying the centre backs, helping to create him space he didn't always get with Jones and Nazon in the team - teams sat deeper than they have recently, even at 0-0, as they were wary of Jones/Nazon ability to beat a man with the ball at their feet.

SkyBlueCRJ

Exactly there no logic to paying for a ageing Tom Pope effective as he is at this level when there's strikers of a similar size and can do the job younger and worth the fee.... should we be able to finance it

Although he's already gotten a significant amount of stick but Ikpeazu fits the mould. Seen him a few times and he might not be the prettiest footballer to watch but my god is he powerful - and he scores goals.

skybluesam66

A freak goal at Grimsby.
A brilliant header from a distance you have no right to score from with a header against Luton.
Excellent technique to chest the ball down and roof his shot from a poor Nazon pass against Crawley.
A couple of excellent long balls from our own half - first crossfield from Vincenti at Wycombe (still with a lot of his own work to do) and then a defence splitter from Nazon at Cheltenham to send him through.

What else have we had recently goal wise? Worldy from Doyle. Massive deflection from Bayliss. Header from a corner from Willis & solo effort from Grimmer vs Stoke. Direct free kick from Shipley vs Luton. I may have missed a couple along the way.
We simply don't score team goals. Almost all our goals this season have come from moments of individual brilliance going back to Jones and Nazon too. Our wide players can't cross a moving ball and we haven't produced anything through the middle until the forced inclusion of an 18 year old who can carry the ball for himself. Maybe that will change now with our new loanees but Maguire-Drew's ball retention was awful on Saturday and played a couple of the worst and unnecessary long balls I have seen all season.
Plus I do think McNulty benefits a lot from Biamou occupying the centre backs, helping to create him space he didn't always get with Jones and Nazon in the team - teams sat deeper than they have recently, even at 0-0, as they were wary of Jones/Nazon ability to beat a man with the ball at their feet.
now go through all of Gary lineker;s goals with the same analysis
:banghead:

Mucca Mad Boys

We already have the means, in that I mean that robins has a decent squad at his disposal, there is no wonder person that will arrive as if they were that good they would not be for hire. No he needs to work out with the resources he already has which are fairly superior to his peers in this league. Sort it out MR don't hide behind the win at Stoke, else the Taxi will be coming.

Someone idiot had a rant at me after the Carlisle win on here when I said we need to keep the pressure on Robins, its these very days that I refer too why I said it.

I agree we shouldn’t give MR a free pass, as we have one of the best young squads and considerably more resources than some of rivals. Furthermore, judging by the games we’ve lost this year, we should be in a better position.

With that all said, I think MR should keep his job even if we wish the playoffs. Why? We’ve had injuries to key players, Andreu and Jones - both ending their seasons. Plus, I think the rebuilding task after last season’s farce means he should at least have two cracks at getting us out of L2.

I’m frustrated at the losses we’ve had this season - I can accept this defeat more than say, Morecambe or FGR. But, we needed to bring in a good 12+ players in and this is a league not many teams get promoted at the first time of asking.

All things considered, unless we go on a stupid losing streak, I think it’s harsh if MR gets the sack.

Esoterica

now go through all of Gary lineker;s goals with the same analysis
:banghead:
Lineker was the king of the 6 yard box predators. That's the whole point - we don't score team goals and, in my opinion, part of the problem is the limitations Doyle brings to the midfield Simply upgrading Biamou is not the entire solution.

Gosford Green

I don't understand your post, you suggest we pay above the average wage likely higher than the current squad likely risking upsetting the balance of the group for 12 weeks.

Can I ask what hero who is out of contract, fit ready to go and will sign till the summer is available or will leave there current side for us for a short term deal?

It's likely any striker joining isn't featuring much at his current club and being set free by his side to free up a wage, I can guarantee it's not gonna tempt thousands of fans back like you suggest.

SISU have been here that long some fans are thinking like them.

12 weeks wages of someone useful at £5K per week or someone useless at £800 per week, I am not suggesting it would work but the latter option has been tried for at least the last 3+ years and look where that has got, something different needs to be tried before we end up a non league team.

And I repeat, we already have players on double what some of the others are earning.

Esoterica

Carlton Cole is 34 and has been training with and playing for Wimbledon U23s while he builds up his match fitness. That sounds like our typical season derailing swoop!

steve82

A freak goal at Grimsby.

That's a good breakdown of the side. I said very early in the season we don't look like scoring as a side... we still don't.

Like you said it's moments of magic that have been responsible for the majority of the goals. We've had a few team goals obviously but it's mainly where the individual has done the work.

steve82

Although he's already gotten a significant amount of stick but Ikpeazu fits the mould. Seen him a few times and he might not be the prettiest footballer to watch but my god is he powerful - and he scores goals.

Definitely, but he divides opinion on here.
It's on record from me I thought we missed out when he joined Cambridge last year.

Scores, powerful, a outlet and a real handful, not the prettiest to watch but effective.

Not sure he fits Robins style of football but he's what you need December-march in this league.

steve82

SISU have been here that long some fans are thinking like them.

12 weeks wages of someone useful at £5K per week or someone useless at £800 per week, I am not suggesting it would work but the latter option has been tried for at least the last 3+ years and look where that has got, something different needs to be tried before we end up a non league team.

And I repeat, we already have players on double what some of the others are earning.

Sisu don't come into this conversation to me...

I'm not disputing the previous failed tried and tested route however my point is who you breaking the bank for on a short term deal?

It's all very boom or bust theory from you in a notoriously difficult window.

Users who are viewing this thread