So we could have had LeFondre (1 Viewer)

egastap

If the numbers being bandied around are anything like accurate, we paid the same amount for Cody as we could have for le Fondre. Maybe Thorn is telling the truth that Cody was his number 1 target!

SkyBlue

From what I've seen and heard McDonald is a better player than Le Fondre, so I'd much rather have him

rswxite

Having looked at both players YouTube vids of last seasons goals I tend to agree! Cody looks to have a lot more about him in certain areas, he looks quicker than alf, certainly looks better with his head, and there's a lot more variation in the types of goals he scores! If you take away Alfs penalties then it is a no brainer!!

If this is the caase, then why was everyone screaming about the gleeful prospect of ALF? I haven't seen either players, but ALF was the next big thing, now he seems to be nowhere near the level that you guys wanted. I'm confuzzled?

skybluetom

I think it's a bit difficult to look a youtube and judge players. The only time we'll know is come May, we'll be able to see how both players have performed. The fact is both are a gamble as they've never done it at this level.

Otis

If this is the caase, then why was everyone screaming about the gleeful prospect of ALF? I haven't seen either players, but ALF was the next big thing, now he seems to be nowhere near the level that you guys wanted. I'm confuzzled?

If this is the case then how come there wasn't a whole stack of clubs chasing McDonald's signature?

Sky_Blue_Ste

There were three clubs in the end, us, MK Dons & Peterborough.

We've tried to get him before (last year or the year before) but Norwich weren't budging, saying he was one for the future. I guess things went a little better last season than they hoped & are now after a higher calibre player.

Otis

Okay, but then Le Fondre has gone to a better club than all three of those teams (us included).

Paxman II

I think Cody will do better than Alf personally and I'm inclined to think they 'played' the field well tempting Reading to buy Alf leaving the Cody deal ours for the taking. I also believe he was the #1 target.
Time will tell.

sky blue john

What a load of bull that gets spouted on here !!!!!!!!
Neither are proved at this level and even if we had signed both I doubt very much it would save our season, because our squad is lacking competition for places.

Sky_Blue_Ste

I think, going back to the original point, that Andy Thorn had a price in mind as to how much ALF was worth & we didn't rise above that. We were gazumped by Reading. They're pretty similar. A lot of people who mentioned ALF as a desired target at the beginning of the summer also said 'or Cody MacDoald'. So, it's either or. I get a feeling that Cody will get more pitch time tham ALF this season though!

Sterling Archer

A block at work who is a Norwich season ticket holder seems to think Norwich were going to hold onto him if they didn't get promoted as they thought him alongside Holt would've been the perfect partnership to get them into the top 6.

He also says that despite his rawness you won't find many who won't work their nuts off as much as Cody and has a bit of pace and a decent eye for goal. Fingers crossed chaps.

Sterling Archer

At last someone who talks sense
or just someone who is really pessimistic. Jesus, who were people expecting? Cody McDonald and Adam Le Fondre are exactly the type of players we should be looking at.

I remember people telling about certain players we signed who were lower league dross and unproven at this level. They all went onto bigger and better things.
- Fox
- Dann
- Westwood

Are we really writing off a striker we have 'just' signed who scored 25 goals last season in L2 before he has even kicked a ball for us?

egastap

Being honest, and living where I do, I haven't seen either player in a live game so I'm pepared to listen to Thorny....I believe he's a master at spotting talent. If he says Cody over Alf, then I'm with him. PUSB

Nonleagueherewecome

Maybe we only bid 150k for ALF? Despite Dulieu repeatedly claiming we had funds, it is plainly obvious that we had bugger all. Dulieu also TWICE said Thorn would have to "wheel and deal" (not like him to contradict himself, I know...) To me it simply comes down to us not having enough money to buy anyone until Turner went, so Thorn signed Cody when the Turner deal went through. Ken lied when he said we had a transfer budget before.

Disorganised1

Why does every one want to be so introspective - we have a striker with a good reputation - 'nuff said.

Wallace

I think it is about two things.
1) Getting players that are suited to our system. When Cardiff said we can have Parkin I wondered where he would fit in. We are looking for the player to sit at the top of the diamond or lone striker. I think Cody can do both. ALF is a good out and out striker who can play in the box off a big guy like Long, so it's a surprice he went to Reading seeing they sold Long.
2) Character. I have heard it mentioned by Gills and Norwich fans that the guy is honest, humble and easygoing. That is the type we need. He said he want to prove to himself he can play at a higher level, so I think this is why he was top of AT's list.
No body knows if anyone is going to be a hit or flop. Turner may never play again or end up an international. King may sit on the bench or score 20 goals. Every player is a gamble so character is important. From what I have seen both ALF and Cody are good people and I hope both do well.

Users who are viewing this thread