So, looking like Blackpool, Millwall and Wigan coming down to League 1 (1 Viewer)

Otis

Is there anything for us to fear from any of those teams in terms of fighting for promotion places for next season?

In other years I have seen which teams are coming down and thought that one or 2 could well be strong challengers for the following season, but I am not convinced that is the case this time round.

Wigan maybe? Do they have a bit of money behind them?

skybluesam66

wigan have big debts - blackpool have owners who are not the most trustworthy (allegedly make sisu look like angels) - millwall will be the best of the 3

johnwillomagic

Defo teams gooing up stronger than teams going down......think we have a great chance next year if we stay up.....but then I thought we would do better this year......

Lord_Nampil

If sheff Utd go up as well makes the league alot more open next season! Personally think Wigan would be up there but other will struggle!

Stay up, keep TM give him a reasonable budget and we could have fun next season! for a change!

Jackoskyblue

Just throwing this out there I expect all 3 to be fighting relegation in league one, Wigan will have a huge turnover of players which isn't the best way to begin, Blackpool have obvious troubles and can see milwall being taken by surprise in this league.

Bradford Sheffield Doncaster Barnsley and us to be challenging

smileycov

Facebook User
Millwall are used to league one tbf. They will do okay, but it all depends on money, TM and players brought in for us of course.

Otis

I do think if the club can back TM, we are in with a good chance of challenging next season and what a pleasant change that would be.

cornoccfc

Less concerned about the teams coming down.

Far more worried about the squad for next season, the squad is a good number of players away from being close to a top 6 side

SkyBlue_Bear83

All of those 3 clubs are in a bit of a mess so it depends of they get themselves sorted over preseason.

I wouldn't be surprised if Blackpool go down again next season

M&B Stand

Blackpool are a basket case.
Wigan are shit now and will be even weaker after costs are cut again next season.
Millwall will always pick up wins at the Den, especially in a shockingly shit division like league one.

Next season a highlight for me will be
A relatively local game against Burton Albion in a brewery town with a decent sized away end including standing terrace behind the goal.

skybluetony176

I think Wigan are probably going to be the worst of that bunch next season. Blackpool's owners have got money to spend if they choose to and as keeps being said, you don't need to spend a fat lot un this league. Millwall have been here done that and Wigan have fell over a cliff. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went down again.

stupot07

3 tough teams you would imagine. Just depends how quickly they can sort themselves. Will wigan still have parachute payments next season? It's 4 years now isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

3 tough teams you would imagine. Just depends how quickly they can sort themselves. Will wigan still have parachute payments next season? It's 4 years now isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Might make a difference that for sure.

Hobo

Millwall will do okay, I think Wigan will as well. Blackpool could be on a big slide.
we still need to get over the line, although we are nearly there.

But we need a total rebuild...a goal scorer, DM and creative mid, two central defenders and a goalkeeper is essential.
I see Fleck, Martin and Burge as good squad players to supplement the above.
Stokes, Haynes, Maddison, Finch, Phillips are still in the promising youngster category rather than week in week out players.

Barton, Johnson, Pugh, Webster, Nouble are all surplus to requirements for me.

Otis

Millwall will do okay, I think Wigan will as well. Blackpool could be on a big slide.
we still need to get over the line, although we are nearly there.

But we need a total rebuild...a goal scorer, DM and creative mid, two central defenders and a goalkeeper is essential.
I see Fleck, Martin and Burge as good squad players to supplement the above.
Stokes, Haynes, Maddison, Finch, Phillips are still in the promising youngster category rather than week in week out players.

Barton, Johnson, Pugh, Webster, Nouble are all surplus to requirements for me.

Yep, would agree with the discard list there.

I notice Webster has gone well down the pecking order since TM took over. That I see as a real plus point.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think Blackpool will drop again if their owners keep the same attitude towards signing players, Wigan I think may have made a big mistake employing a rookie manager and an owner who has lost interest, the strongest will be Millwall.

ccfc92

Yep, would agree with the discard list there.

I notice Webster has gone well down the pecking order since TM took over. That I see as a real plus point.

Only to be made captain next season..... :whistle:

A ploy by TM to stop teams poaching Webster off us ;)

Ashdown

I do think if the club can back TM, we are in with a good chance of challenging next season and what a pleasant change that would be.

It's key to everything but I doubt TM will hang around if he has all the better players sold/discarded from underneath him like his predecessors. Bring in a solid team by the middle of July, get them to gel, get them on long term loans and we could compete.............on the other hand, piss about till the end of August, sell off the cream of the crop and then bring in a few short term loanees until January and we'll end up lower midtable but with even less fans.

Macca

How are we talking about a promotion battle next year whilst crying about potential relegation now when we just have fellow strugglers to beat!????
The fans are up and down like strippers knickers.
And "if the club give TM backing". Why are they suddenly going to start running the club properly

ccfc92

How would it work though?

TM is contracted til the end of this season.

That'll be 2/3 months until the start of next season.

So when will he be given money to spend etc? Surely he'd have to sign a contract until the start of the season to see if SISU do as they say?

rupert_bear

Should be okay with those three coming down. Can stay at relatives for the Wigan match, hopefully a weekend in Blackpool, Pleasure Beach, Tower and all that and a good old fashioned punch up with the Millwall mob

Last edited:

rupert_bear

We should be okay this time we can draft in some of those man mountain rugger fans from our Wasp allies for help in the fighting

Andy69

Blackpool will be fine next season,Clarke is already hand picking players he wants,also With Cubuero staying next season and maybe partnering O Hara in centre midfield they will be quite strong.Wigan have sold nearly all there best players and now Whelan has gone they have no money.Looking forward to staying at the Ricoh again next season like I have done this yearPUSB.

SkyBlueRuffian

Whelan has only resigned as chairman, he still owns the club doesn't he? His grandson is chairman now
Whelan has "resigned" but it's well known up there he still pulls the strings. That's correct, his 23 year old grandson is "in charge".
They have another parachute payment next season which will help their cause. I can see them challenging, the top 6 at least.

Last edited:
Just a quick side question, anyone been to Millwall away?

Is it okay or...?

I went there one year when we were beaten 3-2 by a late goal. We were held inside the ground whilst police dispersed the Millwall mob who were waiting outside for us. And that's after they won......

oscillatewildly

I went there one year when we were beaten 3-2 by a late goal. We were held inside the ground whilst police dispersed the Millwall mob who were waiting outside for us. And that's after they won......
I remember that one, great goal from Bothroyd to put us in a 2-1 lead and then it was over to Magnus Hedman to quite literally throw it all away. I hated that keeper with a passion, never came anywhere near living up to his billing, in my opinion.
After that lengthy stay back you mentioned, we found our way to a pub in Catford. Genuinely friendly local clientele, rough as a badgers arsehole (and that was just the women) but genuinely friendly.

CCFC_Charlie

I don't think it's actually that difficult, or costly to turn a team from a 16/17/18th place team to one challenging for promotion in this league. It's more about the manager.

torchomatic

Agree. Bristol City were rubbish last season, this season they are basically unbeatable.

I don't think it's actually that difficult, or costly to turn a team from a 16/17/18th place team to one challenging for promotion in this league. It's more about the manager.

Users who are viewing this thread