So By Keeping The Youth, Will We Do Okay In League 1 (1 Viewer)

smileycov

Facebook User
All this SISU, TF talk lately has me depressed, so putting a brighter spin on life. If we held onto the youngsters that came through/played last season and those that we managed to extend contracts on (mostly, the ones no one else wanted!) would we do okay in League 1?

I mean realistically, Keogh, Cranie and possibly Murphy willgo. But we have the likes of Wood, Cameron, Clarke, Christie, Deegan (i do likehim), Baker (on his good day), Thomas, Bigi, Sheffers, McDonald not a bad collection at this level
Yes? No?

Last edited:

stupot07

I agree with Brighton, we need a squad as we will have to play around 50 games. 2 or 3 injuries and we'd be in serious trouble. Add to that it's still far too inexperienced - Cameron, bigi, Clarke, Christie and Thomas have still played less that 35-40 first team games each.

And still nowhere near enough pace, physicality or goals.

rob9872

The problem is that those youth players will also be viewed as saleable assets despite their low salary. It remains to be seen whether those players could compete but even if they could, then they are liklely to be sold ... so in short .. no! :(

rob9872

The key player to hold onto for me is not Keogh but Cody. I have enjoyed Keogh, but its a pipe dream to hold onto him and Cranie and I think at this level they are largely replaceable. The one constant that you always need are goals and I think at this level we've seen enough to suggest that a fit Cody can deliver.

Astute

It is as though no lessons have been learned from last season. Yes, we have decent players. We do not have a decent squad. We have now lost even more players from a squad that was not big enough. We could lose a few more. A few old heads and a few players in positions we need to strengthen must be a minimum for next season.

With the players we have now we have a good chance of going straight back up. Take a look at the other teams in our division. Our players are better than theirs. We do not have enough though. If we don't sign more players before the start of the season I see us starting well, but when the injuries start coming we will be in trouble.

WillieStanley

That's just it Astute! The thing is... the over all message up until today was "We're sorry and we'll try to learn" There's been no other mentions of the supposed inquest/post-mortem to the season. The season has been over a matter of weeks and already there's been more U-turns than a pensioner with a sat-nav!!

smileycov

Facebook User
Thats all i asked Astute, i think we have a decent core. Some good players at this level. Adding quite a few is a no brainer, we needed too last year, this coming season is worse with more gone. However, i just wondered if we liked the look of what we have that is all, do we think they can do a job? if keogh stayed it would be a bigger result than trying to keep King!! IMO

Astute

You got it.

Some on here want to believe them. So they will believe them. I don't trust them now. Never will unless things change. Will not give them sudden trust. Would be earned over a long time if they stay with us.

Astute

Thats all i asked Astute, i think we have a decent core. Some good players at this level. Adding quite a few is a no brainer, we needed too last year, this coming season is worse with more gone. However, i just wondered if we liked the look of what we have that is all, do we think they can do a job? if keogh stayed it would be a bigger result than trying to keep King!! IMO

Will make it short and sweet then.

Improve the numbers they will do well. Leave it as it is and bring more in from the academy and we will become a div3 team for the forseable future

Otis

The squad was too small in the Championship and it's going to be too small in League One.

if only these Sisu bods could count.

WillieStanley

More games, more intensity, more knocks. Surely this is blindingly obvious. Rough old league.

Are we doomed? After today, even ever optimistic WillieStanley tending to think so.

smileycov

Facebook User
Missing the point fella's......i haven't said staying with our current size have i? I am just wondering if we have a decent nucleaus of a side to compete at this level. I assume we ALL agree we need a bigger squad!

1nilandwe...

Smileycov, I reckon the kids will be ok in League 1, but I think it's a mistake building a team around them. The players we NEED to bring in as well as Cody, GMc, Deegs, Baker et al, are going to have to form the nucleus of the side with the young guns acting as accessories.

We relied on them too much last season and relying on them again in the next would be mindless.

Sky

I see quite a few of the youth players around and most of them say we will have a young squad again next season and there's lads in the academy being told that they will feature heavily next season :facepalm:

smileycov

Facebook User
^^ how do they feel about that? must be bit disheartening to think no investment in the team coming, or are they just glad to be playing

Astute

We are the same as Pompey. We have no idea who we will start with. Doncaster is a bit of a strange one. how many of the players are theirs? No idea about Swindon.

stupot07

Like I said before, half of that nucleus of players are still kids and havent got anywhere enough game experience, Deegan's been injured for the majority of his sky blue career, so essentially it's a nucleus of Wood, Cody, Baker and Mcsheffrey.

Career stats:
Cameron 33 starts 8 sub
Clarke 37 (17)
Christie 29 (11)
Bigi 18 (10)
Thomas 25 (5)

I agree with Rob - Cody will be the key man next season.

skyblueinBaku

Do OK in League 1 with the youth? That was the question. I think the answer is 'yes, for a time'. And then injuries will take their toll as the kids are kicked about by L1 defenders with game savvy. We need some experience and old heads among the young guns. We need a bigger squad and at least one 'policeman' in the style of the great George Curtis or the kids will spend most of their time next season with the physio (if we have one). The 3rd division is a tough place and we need to be prepared for it.

ccfc2011

we will win league 1

Users who are viewing this thread