So... Back to league business!! (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueBlood2

Anyone gave any thought to getting back on track in the league?! I'm as buzzing as anyone about the jpt and a possible trip to wembley!
But I hope this doesn't mean we take our eye league matters, with 3 games 7 days coming up there's a real chance for us to storm into the playoff places! I'm hating it in this piss pot league and the sooner we get out of it the better!!....

ampthill_sba

Without playing today we can find ourselves bottom half and 8 points off playoffs compared to 9th place and 2 points of playoffs before the Shrews game...

We desperately need to win at Carlisle to keep in the hunt...

Astute

The tinpot run will help with confidence in the league. We have shown we can be losing at 90 mins and still win. A tinpot defeat could have gone against us. Our squad are certainly getting closer together. We are getting better at attacking all the time. The goals are flowing.

I am having a problem seeing any negatives at the moment.

Astute

Without playing today we can find ourselves bottom half and 8 points off playoffs compared to 9th place and 2 points of playoffs before the Shrews game...

Without playing today we could find ourselves 5 points out of the playoffs and a game against Carlisle when we have won our last 6 away games :D

stupot07

The tinpot run will help with confidence in the league. We have shown we can be losing at 90 mins and still win. A tinpot defeat could have gone against us. Our squad are certainly getting closer together. We are getting better at attacking all the time. The goals are flowing.

I am having a problem seeing any negatives at the moment.
Our home form in the league is a cause for concern -
played 13
won 3
drew 5
lost 5.

ampthill_sba

Without playing today we could find ourselves 5 points out of the playoffs and a game against Carlisle when we have won our last 6 away games :D

Now that the Pompey game is postponed we can't drop a place today...that's a good psychological advantage :)

Astute

And put another 3 points between us and the teams below us when we win tomorrow :p

jas365

I've been saying for a few weeks now that despite our run of late, the play offs are still a long way off, we're going to have to stay virtually unbeaten for the rest of the season to make them IMO.

When you consider that Bournemouth are unbeaten in 16 and Brentford unbeaten in 13 and they aren't in even in the top 2. Swindon have scored 16 goals in their last 4 home games and have a +28 goal difference.
I think MK Dons are the only team in the top 6 we can realistically catch but I think Bournemouth will finish in the top 2 and they are currently 7th.....

SkyBlue_Bear83

I've been saying for a few weeks now that despite our run of late, the play offs are still a long way off, we're going to have to stay virtually unbeaten for the rest of the season to make them IMO.

When you consider that Bournemouth are unbeaten in 16 and Brentford unbeaten in 13 and they aren't in even in the top 2. Swindon have scored 16 goals in their last 4 home games and have a +28 goal difference.
I think MK Dons are the only team in the top 6 we can realistically catch but I think Bournemouth will finish in the top 2 and they are currently 7th.....
I agree with this, it is going to take a huge effort to make the play offs. It should be the aim but I think too many fans have begun to expect it.

The top 7 are going to be very tough to dislodge currently

Otis

Don't start all this reality stuff all over again. You'll end up like me, all hung drawn and quartered! :D

Paxman II

The only concern for me is how we do without the McGoldrick goal machine? We have goals in us all over the pitch but Leon Clarke from what I saw has plenty to do. he looked sluggish and I hope that's just match fitness? However in this team he should soon be scoring regular as he was at Scunny surely?

Mucca Mad Boys

The only concern for me is how we do without the McGoldrick goal machine? We have goals in us all over the pitch but Leon Clarke from what I saw has plenty to do. he looked sluggish and I hope that's just match fitness? However in this team he should soon be scoring regular as he was at Scunny surely?

I think Clarke will fill the goals' vacuum. His finish v PNE, although simple, was composed. I hope he gets scoring quickly, if not, try Elliott.

stupot07

Really need at least 4 points put the next 2 games. Or fixture with Tranmere is the only midweek game, by Saturday we will have played at least 1 more games than everyone else above us and 2 more than MK Dons, Bournemouth, Swindon and Stevenage.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Far from a distraction I personally think the JPT run is assisting our esprit de couer.. as a team, as a fan base- as a club. Our win on Thursday should inspire a belief in us all.The manner of the win even more encouraging?
Another win tomorrow and we really will be knocking on the door.

PUSB

CCFC_Charlie

Some excellent results for us today, we need to make the most of the two games we've got to play before anyone around us plays again.

Astute

If we win our next 2 games we WILL be in the top 6 :claping hands:

Then we would have Oxford at home to stay in the top 6. And as we know all the teams at the top are dropping points. We keep hearing of the clubs on runs without defeats, but they are also getting a fair few draws. 3 draws is the same as 1 win and 2 defeats.....depending on GD.

stupot07

Then we would have Oxford at home to stay in the top 6. And as we know all the teams at the top are dropping points. We keep hearing of the clubs on runs without defeats, but they are also getting a fair few draws. 3 draws is the same as 1 win and 2 defeats.....depending on GD.

What have Oxford got to do with it?

SkyBlueBlood2

Exactly! If we get in the top 6 I think we'll be there for the rest of the season!!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I doubt it, Bournemouth, mk dons and swindon will have two games in hand and on the same number of points, they won't all lose both their games in hand.
I agree with this

Although getting into the top 6 will have a big positive psychological effect on our team and an effect on teams around us. Getting into the top 6 even if temporarily could give the team the confidence to turn around the home form

Mucca Mad Boys

I doubt it, Bournemouth, mk dons and swindon will have two games in hand and on the same number of points, they won't all lose both their games in hand.

Depends when their games in hand are. If March, April time, we could be established in the Top 6 by then, and me may play Bournemouth and Swindon before, or just after their game(s) in hand so it all depends really, lets hope their games in hand our late on and we're out of sight (fingers crossed!).

We really have to beat those 2, Tranmere and Sheff U, I would love a 100% February, and a couple of Jan, home victories and a W or D v PNE (sick rhymes! Joke.) unlikely, but it'd be brilliant!

stupot07

Depends when their games in hand are. If March, April time, we could be established in the Top 6 by then, and me may play Bournemouth and Swindon before, or just after their game(s) in hand so it all depends really, lets hope their games in hand our late on and we're out of sight (fingers crossed!).

We really have to beat those 2, Tranmere and Sheff U, I would love a 100% February, and a couple of Jan, home victories and a W or D v PNE (sick rhymes! Joke.) unlikely, but it'd be brilliant!

It's still highly unlikely that if we get in the top 6 this week we will stay there, which was my point.

Their games in hand are this month and feb by the looks of it.

Last edited:

wingy

I agree with this

Although getting into the top 6 will have a big positive psychological effect on our team and an effect on teams around us. Getting into the top 6 even if temporarily could give the team the confidence to turn around the home form
And get the players their top 6 bonus ,maybe thats why they choked v Shrewsbury.:facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread