So, A win then. (1 Viewer)

CovisGod

Obviously, we're two games in, won one, lost one. I'd just be interested to hear people's positives and negatives in list form, 5 of each after the opening two games. For no other reason than I've had to work and not been yet this season so would be helpful :)

SkyBlueCRJ

I think overall, considering the last two games has featured what is meant to be our designated second team I think we can take the fact that most of these players would be fine replacements if called upon when the new signings come in. However these are my positives and negatives...

Positives:
- Remember this is predominantly our second team: TM has promised 5 more players to come in that will fill the gaps in the squad. Most of these second team players have coped well over the last two games. DKE, Stevenson, Haynes, Harries to name a few have all stood out for me and played beyond their years
- Academy graduates promise a bright future ahead: Those named in the first point above clearly have quality and should go far in the game if they continue to progress
- Gadzhev: Seems we've found a perfect replacement for the departure of Fleck. Fantastic range of passing and seems to retain the ball extremely well. Scored today so possibly will score more than Fleck who rarely found the net. We need goals from midfield to share the burden.
- Formation: Have to admit I'm a huge fan of the formation that Mowbray has introduced this season. It offers a more exciting, attacking option in comparison to last seasons 4 - 2 - 3 - 1. Although leaves us exposed at the back. However as long as the right defensive additions are made we'll cope just fine and could potentially be a torn in the side of our opponents
New signings: To date we have signed Jones, Sordell, K. Thomas, McCann, Reid, Page. Most of these are Championship players and will be effective in the League. Jones is clearly a huge talent that will benefit our attacking play hugely this season. Cant wait to see the McCann/Gadzhev possible partnership this season, both are quality players and it seems that our midfield in the centre of the park has improved from last season. Reid has pedigree at this level and flashes of what he can do has already been witnessed. Sordell may not be our 20 goal a season striker but theres no doubting his quality, he'll offer creativity as well as goals and should be a force this season if he manages to find that consistency that made his a £3 million player

Negatives:
- Current team is too lightweight as a whole: Lacks the physicality to deal with the toughness of the League
- Lacks discipline and effective communication at times: Not making the right runs, not leaving the ball to go out or looking to pass back to goalie, making the right passes etc. This has been my stand out issue in both the starting games. Went to the Portsmouth game today and noticed this throughout.
- Lacks solid League One quality in certain areas: E.g. in CB and ST positions. Harries has quality at CB but he's going to hugely struggle against James Hanson type strikers, they'll cause him nightmares. George Thomas isn't quite there yet in terms of the finished article, fails to take players on and his finishing ability needs work. Cant be starting every game as he has been otherwise we just won't score the goals we desperately need
- Very inexperienced: Far too many graduate players starting. It becomes counter-productive to have this many academy players in the starting line up. Similar to what happened last season. Young players eventually burn out and they won't know how to bounce back if things start to go wrong
- Squad far too small: If injuries are sustained to Harries or Ricketts we are left with very little to work with in our already shot defence. This can be said for other positions as well. E.g. our wingback areas, where we aren't blessed with a massive amount of cover either
- Quality additions need to made. Although there have been flashes of quality, it won't be enough to sustain a consistent run of form that is needed for a promotion push, otherwise we'll be at risk of looking over our shoulders at the wrong end of the table

vow

ffs, a wins a win, enough said?

vow

Did you even read the OP ? What's that got to do with anything. Thanks for the other post, very insightful
Yes i read the OP, but like you i havent been at either game so far, family commitments etc. but I'm not over analyzing it, one loss, one win, thats enough for me, thus far into the season, not 5 points on positives or negs. All the best to you though, no harm meant.

Users who are viewing this thread