So a new ground won't be Brandon (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Bad few weeks for Coventry sport!

Dear Resident

TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1990 LAND AT BRANDON STADIUM, RUGBY ROAD An outline planning application is being prepared for a residential development on the site at Brandon Stadium, Rugby Road. An exhibition to display these proposals has been arranged for: SATURDAY 18th OCTOBER 2014 BETWEEN 10.15AM - 1PM IN THE BINLEY WOODS VILLAGE HALL, RUGBY ROAD, BINLEY WOODS, COVENTRY, CV3 2AX You are cordially invited to view these proposals. Members of the planning team will be in attendance to answer any questions and you will have the opportunity to leave your comments and feedback. We look forward to welcoming you at the exhibition.

spider_ricoh

Hardly a surprise - we're all on tenterhooks 18 months after Timmy told us that the new stadium detailed plans would be revealed "within weeks"...IMO it was always hot air, using the idea of moving away as leverage on the council....which has backfired spectacularly as the council have reacted not in the way anticipated.

Instead of caving, CCC cut their losses and divested their interest in the whole saga. It's really a very good example of how you need to choose your tactics in any negotiation to match your negotiating partner - the hardball approach might well work in the commercial world but it just alienated the council and meant SISU are now up shite creek.

SISU don't have a genuine plan for moving - I think nothing serious has been done yet, probably on the basis that we'd acquire the Ricoh share soon...the Wasps deal has ripped the rug out from under that idea, so the "new stadium" project, if it is going to happen at all, has to do so from a standing start now.

Expect the former golf course to get sold for housing next.

NorthernWisdom

Would just like to say, incidentally, that a valid use of the Ricoh site would have been to convert it to use for the Speedway side, if the football team didn't want to play there.

As opposed to parachuting in a random side from elsewhere.

Let's hope they get some support off CCC to get a new site, at least... given their commitment to top level sport, after all.

italiahorse

Sisu are taking the p*** with us fans.

Just wish they would say they want out and allow the small chance that someone actually wants to buy us.
They will never get their money back in a million years so they need to give up as a bad job.

Sometimes you need to make a big sacrifice, say sorry and move on.

skybluetony176

Bad news indeed. I enjoy going to Brandon on a Saturday night to watch bangers and F1 stock car's. I thought that there supposed to be the best part of a 10 year lease left on the sight. This sounds like it's happening sooner.

quinn1971

Bad news indeed. I enjoy going to Brandon on a Saturday night to watch bangers and F1 stock car's. I thought that there supposed to be the best part of a 10 year lease left on the sight. This sounds like it's happening sooner.

Looks like all our sports teams are getting screwed over, the football team, the rugby team and now the speedway, unless the new grounds going to have a speedway track round it can't see us having a new speedway and football stadium, heard the ice hockey team are going to have to use the pond at swanswell through the winter,

Mr T - Sukka!

In my view there will never be a new ground. Its BS.

Even BBC CWR mentioned yesterday any ground will take 10 years to plan/build/open.

It was proved by Tim Fisher asking if fans would attend in a new stadium. Which proves its in the "thought about" stage.

Otis

In my view there will never be a new ground. Its BS.

Even BBC CWR mentioned yesterday any ground will take 10 years to plan/build/open.

It was proved by Tim Fisher asking if fans would attend in a new stadium. Which proves its in the "thought about" stage.

Yep. I am thinking as much as 10 years too, what with planning and objection etc.

Do people seriosuly believe Sisu will still want to be here, or indeed, will still be here in 10 years time?

Even if we built a stadium in 5 years, it would be many, many years before we would turn any sort of profit whatsoever.

A new stadium is just fantasy nonsense.

Ashdown

It's another disaster for Coventry and the local area. I've been attending with the family since 2005. Another sprawl of houses to accommodate our burgeoning population swollen every year by 200,000+ net migration to the UK. Where does it all end, when there's fuck all left but housing estates and warehouses to serve their needs?
I doubt very much in this day and age that someone wealthy enough will buy an alternative site for the Bees and build some semblance of a stadium, it will probably die along with Cov Rugby and Cov City. It's OK though we might still have our franchise premiership rugby team still in town ?

Otis

It's another disaster for Coventry and the local area. I've been attending with the family since 2005. Another sprawl of houses to accommodate our burgeoning population swollen every year by 200,000+ net migration to the UK. Where does it all end, when there's fuck all left but housing estates and warehouses to serve their needs?
I doubt very much in this day and age that someone wealthy enough will buy an alternative site for the Bees and build some semblance of a stadium, it will probably die along with Cov Rugby and Cov City. It's OK though we might still have our franchise premiership rugby team still in town ?

A speedway stadium though is a lot smaller isn't it. Can't the Bees use a local football stadium and ride around the outside of the pitch, or is the track much smaller than the circumference?

Ashdown

No Otis, it's a lot bigger than you think. Maybe you should get off and have a look at Brandon on Friday whilst you still can !?

NorthernWisdom

No Otis, it's a lot bigger than you think. Maybe you should get off and have a look at Brandon on Friday whilst you still can !?

Yep, relatively huge. My uncle used to go all the time, remembers the Brandon road being packed with people walking down from Coventry in the olden days.

Can understand why you wouldn't want a speedway track as your next door neighbour(!) but would be a disaster if we kill off about the only consistently successful sports team we've come up with in recent times!

Oh the immigration line is a pile of fascist cock btw. Like the houses they'd build in brandon would be to fit a load of immigrants in(!)

Otis

Went once and I could only last 20 mins. Absolutely hated it.

Each and every to their own though. I just cannot stand any sort of motor sport at all.

Otis

Yep, relatively huge. My uncle used to go all the time, remembers the Brandon road being packed with people walking down from Coventry in the olden days.

Can understand why you wouldn't want a speedway track as your next door neighbour(!) but would be a disaster if we kill off about the only consistently successful sports team we've come up with in recent times!

Oh the immigration line is a pile of fascist cock btw. Like the houses they'd build in brandon would be to fit a load of immigrants in(!)

So, couldn't they use a football club's pitch somewhere? Sphinx? Warwick Uni?

Ashdown

Err no the net migration numbers are not fictional and it wasn't a political point, if you think it's all a myth and they and the rest of the growing population don't need housing then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

NorthernWisdom

Err no the net migration numbers are not fictional and it wasn't a political point, if you think it's all a myth and they and the rest of the growing population don't need housing then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Look, we know that time and again you've shown youyrself up to be a bigoted little man, so I'd just stick to the current argument.

Otis

It's held 20,000 in its time, is the former British Speedway Grand Prix site until relatively recently, still gets gates in the thousands.

Okay. As I say, I really cannot abide it. There are only 3 sports that I really, really detest with a passion and they are figure skating, dressage and speedway. Find them all incredibly boring and even if someone offered me a ticket to Brandon and a free meal I honestly still wouldn't go.

Can't even begin to tell you how much I hate speedway, so no, Ash, I will not be visiting Brandon soon. I do always want to see Coventry teams do well though, so good luck to them in finding a new venue.

Frisky blue

The old racist or fascist retort, so tiresome.

rupert_bear

Boocock, McKinley, Mountfoot, Lightfoot, France, Lomas....The last all British team to win the British speedway championship

Ashdown

Behave you fucking pussy ! Talking about migration is neither bigoted or racist before you start that clap trap. It's about reality, economics, schools, hospitals and in this case housing although we can perhaps agree that this development is likely to involve a lot of expensive houses and not necessarily relevant to the argument.

NorthernWisdom

Behave you fucking pussy ! Talking about migration is neither bigoted or racist before you start that clap trap. It's about reality, economics, schools, hospitals and in this case housing although we can perhaps agree that this development is likely to involve a lot of expensive houses and not necessarily relevant to the argument.

Many's a time you've been shown up in the past, and given we're on the same side re: Speedway and Wasps, I'd keep the right wing ideology out of it... the bolded part is indeed a fine place to leave it :) Have a like for that bit, cancelled out by a dislike for the rest...

Macca

I only have GCSE maths in fairness but wouldn't an extra 200k people need housing? I'll have my fucking Syria donation back if people don't need housing

Ashdown

I look forward to you saying these things to my face one day, I'm not prejudicial at all, that's in your tiny mind . True Labour policy that, to throw the race card around when migration is even muted as a topic for discussion.

Otis

I only have GCSE maths in fairness but wouldn't an extra 200k people need housing? I'll have my fucking Syria donation back if people don't need housing

You idiot! Why are you donating to Syria when that money could have been used to go towards buying the Ricoh Arena!!

Macca

You idiot! Why are you donating to Syria when that
money could have been used to go towards buying the Ricoh Arena!!

I've more chance of it being used wisely in Syria!

Anyway the boys are live on BT sport later so need to get some supplies

shmmeee

No it's not. It's a smokescreen for the effects of cutting public services. Economically it's a plus. Socially you may have a point. Besides, we're one of the few countries in Europe with a high birth rate. Our population would be growing regardless.

If you want better public services you're backing the wrong side.

James Smith

MODERATOR HAT ON
Could we tone down the migration/immigration/immigrants side of things or just stop it altogether please. This is supposed to be a discussion about Brandon and the Bees. Thank you MODERATOR HAT OFF

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread