Slovakian Police = disgrace (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

No trouble. England fans singing with the locals. Riot Police cordoned off each end of the street we were all in. A load more of them then came through the cordon with a dog and charged into one bar after another attacking both our fans and the bar staff with trunctions. One or two then threw some English guys through the windows (which obviously smashed in the process) out onto the street. One guy had a gash across the back of his head and was bleeding badly. The Police refused to assist him and didn't want an ambulance to be called.

Put a couple of broadcasts on Periscope of what happened.

Hadji10

Sorry mate, but I just don't believe they do it for no reason. Something has ovbiously happened.

Nick

Administrator
Nowadays with Camera phones, surely it's much harder for police to get away with this sort of thing.

CJ_covblaze

Sorry mate, but I just don't believe they do it for no reason. Something has ovbiously happened.

Forest and Derby fans had a minor scuffle earlier in the night but the police weren't around at that point. That was resolved rather quickly. After that nothing happened and the Riot Police didn't arrive until an hour or so after so I doubt it was a reaction to that.

The way how they were just charging into bars reminds me of a raid you'll see on a TV Cop programme when they're searching for illegals or drugs. They were on edge for a couple of hours and were looking for an excuse to charge in and clobber everyone. Eventually they just did it anyway despite having no cause what so ever to do so.

Nowadays with Camera phones, surely it's much harder for police to get away with this sort of thing.

You'd think so Nick. It's the reason why I was broadcasting for a while before and then during the attacks (that's what they were) to show that everyone was behaving.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Unless you're really there, it's hard to have a solid opinion on it. Who knows what was going on, but I can certainly believe what the OP is saying. The missus is Slovakian and she's constantly saying how corrupt the police are. They're capable of kicking off for no reason, for sure. Throwing people through windows is horrendous though if it really happened.

oscillatewildly

I can indeed confirm that Slovakian police are scum - violent scum at that. I was at the game in Bratislava 2002. After initial shenanigans by the segregation fence had been 'dealt' with by aforementioned scum there was a decent 10 min period of 'calm' altho by now the English support were compacted into 50% less terrace space after the baton charge.
Without any warning or hint of further disorder they then attacked the England supporters again. I was assaulted from behind with a heavy plastic baton that left me dazed and with blood on the back of my head and collar of jacket, however on closer examination it wasn't my blood but someone else's, I just had the egg sized lump to show for it.
I'm not anti police, far from it but the thought of a station full of these fuckers trapped inside during a raging inferno makes me smile.

Terry Gibson's perm

I don't know why people bother to go to these places must be crazy (sorry CJ) not doubt Russia will be a bundle of fun in a couple of years time.

CJ_covblaze

I don't know why people bother to go to these places must be crazy (sorry CJ) not doubt Russia will be a bundle of fun in a couple of years time.

Despite all the shit that we encounter it's the best thing you could ever do. Never not enjoyed an away trip. The World Cup could be chaos but that hasn't put me off one bit. Could end up in Russia for the next Euros too. That whole tournament is a joke. From the change in qualifying to the locations. Hate Platini for it.

Monners

So Derby and Forest fans have a scrap and the Police turn up as they hear about it and wade. Don't scrap amongst yourselves and it is less likely to happen I would have thought. Doesn't happen to Irish fans in my experience.

CJ_covblaze

So Derby and Forest fans have a scrap and the Police turn up as they hear about it and wade. Don't scrap amongst yourselves and it is less likely to happen I would have thought. Doesn't happen to Irish fans in my experience.

It was at least an hour after before they turned up. There was then 5 at the end of each street that didn't do anything. Over he course of the next hour or two around an extra 50 arrived at each end. Why would they leave everyone alone for so long if it was because of that early minor scuffle?

CJ_covblaze

They were looking for an excuse and were given one? There had been trouble.

Can't disagree there. A member of bar staff dropped a bottle in the bottle bin and they surged forwards and then looked pissed off that it was nothing to do with us. They were looking for an excuse. Nothing happened for hours so they didn't have one but stormed in anyway. I asked about the CCTV yesterday morning and I was told it was "undergoing servicing" so it wasn't working.

CJ_covblaze

England fans who travel away have a massive chip on their shoulder, its never our fault, its because were English.

You're wrong. Some of the incidents in Turin last year were the fault of idiots that couldn't behave themselves. Same goes for Marseille to a lesser extent. However the reaction of the police both times was still completely unnecessary. The way how our own PCs that were there dealt with it proves that. One idiot aims a punch at another or throws beer in the air so they come in all guns blazing clobbering and tear gassing everyone in the vicinity including local kids and hundreds of us that did nothing wrong. Including individuals who had tried and succeeded to stop the fight from getting worse. Some of our PCs were stopping their French counterparts from gassing and hitting some of the Russians. What does that say?!

Otis

Russian police are very corrupt too and they will show no mercy at all if there is the sense of any trouble.

Going to be fun. :(

Ashdown

All that shit, or two pleasant weeks on holiday in some nice sunny part of the world.................err no contest ! I must be getting old or growing up !?

CCFC88

You're wrong. Some of the incidents in Turin last year were the fault of idiots that couldn't behave themselves. Same goes for Marseille to a lesser extent. However the reaction of the police both times was still completely unnecessary. The way how our own PCs that were there dealt with it proves that. One idiot aims a punch at another or throws beer in the air so they come in all guns blazing clobbering and tear gassing everyone in the vicinity including local kids and hundreds of us that did nothing wrong. Including individuals who had tried and succeeded to stop the fight from getting worse. Some of our PCs were stopping their French counterparts from gassing and hitting some of the Russians. What does that say?!

What you have to remember and what England "fans" don't seem to get is that you are not in England anymore and action that would provoke a response from a PC over here will provoke a completely different response from a PC in a different country, cultures and standards are different and just because there are huge numbers of you, you are in another country and you should behave accordingly. I hear no reports of trouble in Malta, Serbia or the Czech Rep this week, just in Slovakia where England fans don't seem to learn.

SkyBlueScottie

What you have to remember and what England "fans" don't seem to get is that you are not in England anymore and action that would provoke a response from a PC over here will provoke a completely different response from a PC in a different country, cultures and standards are different and just because there are huge numbers of you, you are in another country and you should behave accordingly. I hear no reports of trouble in Malta, Serbia or the Czech Rep this week, just in Slovakia where England fans don't seem to learn.

Cant really fault that post, echoes my thoughts entirely.

You have got to think about the history, in the past English fans have caused trouble, meaning that as time goes on any English fans will be viewed with suspicion... Shouldnt happen but it does. So a group of men who have been drinking a fair bit, having a minor scuffle, then carrying on singing and chanting is likely to draw an adverse reaction from the local police force.

Bumberclart

In my experience of away games with England, the only time I've seen completely unprovoked attacks was in Rome for the WC '98 qualifier.
That night was horrific. Local hooligans and Police were knocking the shit out of anything vaguely English.
On all other occasions, there has been something that sparks the trouble.

M&B Stand

In my experience of away games with England, the only time I've seen completely unprovoked attacks was in Rome for the WC '98 qualifier.
That night was horrific. Local hooligans and Police were knocking the shit out of anything vaguely English.
On all other occasions, there has been something that sparks the trouble.

That night someone chucked a Lambretta scooter off a balcony aiming at a crowd of England below. How it missed everyone I'll never know, but it did. A few got shrapnel off it, it was lively that night.

CJ_covblaze

All that shit, or two pleasant weeks on holiday in some nice sunny part of the world.................err no contest ! I must be getting old or growing up !?

More than possible to do both :)

I agree that if you travel to different country you should respect their traditions and their customs. Under no circumstances though should innocent fans get clobbered, gassed or get chairs thrown at them by the police. What did seem to be missing this time around was a bigger UK PC presence. When they are there it does mostly pass without incident. There has now been reports of Slovakian fans attacking the English and vice versa. I must say I do find that hard to believe. Both in France and over the weekend they seemed like a very friendly set of fans and I haven't heard a single person mention their conduct in a negative way.

oscillatewildly

England fans who travel away have a massive chip on their shoulder, its never our fault, its because were English.
I get the feeling you're not English, either by birth or parentage, or maybe just have a dislike of the English national teams supporters which makes it easy for you to stick the boot in to these claims. You've clearly never travelled abroad to watch England play, unless you had your eyes closed for the duration (something I wish I had done in the past on more than a couple of occasions.)
If you had, you might just offer a different opinion. I'm no longer in the official travel club and can't see myself going abroad in the future off my own back unless I'm in possession of a match ticket at the outset. One thing I don't miss is 'rubbing shoulders' with some of my 'fellow countrymen'. It's well known that some have (and some still) latch onto following England armed with what could be described at best as 'dubious political views' and a penchant for violence. Sometimes that minority has been 'sizeable'.
I can honestly say that I wouldn't spit on some of these type of character if they were to find themselves in the unfortunate predicament of being on fire. I'm talking really nasty vile people. These are the ones who deserve a working over with a truncheon.
However, there is a large(r) following who behave themselves - if not in a saintly manner then certainly in a manner which is undeserving of uninvited violence. I witnessed women being hit with truncheons in the stadium at Bratislava in 2002 as they were attempting to flee out of control thuggish Slovakian police.
Believe me it goes on.
Granted, the shitheads will always cry foul on national television when they get a bit of the stick after hurling glasses, tables and chairs around but when the genuine supporters highlight it you appear not to have the ability to differentiate. Or would you consider that type of behaviour as acceptable 'policing'?
You don't read the Daily Mail by any chance do you?

jimmyhillsfanclub

:cool:
That night someone chucked a Lambretta scooter off a balcony aiming at a crowd of England below. How it missed everyone I'll never know, but it did. A few got shrapnel off it, it was lively that night.

Utter utter scum.......a vespa I could understand, but killing a Lambretta.......shame on them!:cool:

CJ_covblaze

seems every single scuffle its the police at fault and never the intoxicated fans

weird

I was actually surprised about how sober everyone was tbh. As I said before they wanted an excuse, didnt have one and just went in anyway. I'd be surprised if they even knew the early few punches had happened. The bar staff weren't aware and as I said the CCTV wasn't working. Another question is why were they attacking the bar staff? Some of them were behind the bar in uniform so they clearly weren't English! Explain that one.

I was talking to a Villa fan yesterday who went to Bratislava in the early 90s when they were good. They were the first English team to play in Europe after the ban. He said it got to around 9 and the police took them to bed at gun point. They just wanted to go home to bed themselves! Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same reason this time.

Users who are viewing this thread