Slade legal action over player data (1 Viewer)

usskyblue

Sounds like he liked a pie chart m8. Still better than Andy Thorn who thought a pie chart was a visual menu

win9nut

My thought on this is that if you're in the public domain, then the data on your performance is public data.

That goes for any individual in a public facing role whether there is interest in their role or not...

There may be arguments for the opposite...

chiefdave

They won't get anywhere with this will they? Its not like they're secretly being tracked, the data is either publicly available, the article gives an example of goals-per-game, or collected with their knowledge through the trackers they wear.

How is having that data available negatively impact them?

The article has a quote saying you wouldn't have data on your performance shared if you were a lawyer or teacher but that's not true is it? You can access court records and see which lawyers have won or lost cases and schools have league tables to enable parents to compare performance.

Nick

Administrator
They won't get anywhere with this will they? Its not like they're secretly being tracked, the data is either publicly available, the article gives an example of goals-per-game, or collected with their knowledge through the trackers they wear.

The article has a quote saying you wouldn't have data on your performance shared if you were a lawyer or teacher but that's not true is it? You can access court records and see which lawyers have won or lost cases and schools have league tables to enable parents to compare performance.
Wonder if bad stats means they get paid less in future jobs.

Skyblueweeman

I thought that at first. But then I remember backed to the 90s when I was a teen and got my first ever playstation. I had the F1 game and it had all the drivers on there apart from Michael Schumacher. He was referred to as Driver 1 or something like that. I can only assume that he refused to have his name/details associated with the game. Not sure why unless he was wanting to release his own game etc and having his name in the official F1 game would have been a conflict of interest.

I guess players could refuse to have their data on things like Fifa or Champ Manager (or whatever it's called) which I know a number of lower league scouts get their data from.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out. I agree with you and Nick though. Anyone can watch a game and make notes/stats on any players performances.

no_loyalty

Good luck to him, he was useless at Football management so he might as well try his luck in another field.

shepardo01

I thought that at first. But then I remember backed to the 90s when I was a teen and got my first ever playstation. I had the F1 game and it had all the drivers on there apart from Michael Schumacher. He was referred to as Driver 1 or something like that. I can only assume that he refused to have his name/details associated with the game. Not sure why unless he was wanting to release his own game etc and having his name in the official F1 game would have been a conflict of interest.

I guess players could refuse to have their data on things like Fifa or Champ Manager (or whatever it's called) which I know a number of lower league scouts get their data from.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out. I agree with you and Nick though. Anyone can watch a game and make notes/stats on any players performances.
Going back a very long time, I've had my personal data published on a well known management game.
To get that, I'm pretty sure that SI (game publisher) must have had an agreement with the FA - where contracts with this info on were registered.
This included my date of birth!!!

Playing stats, as someone has already said, we're at that stage sourced to local volunteers.

Nobody ever asked my permission to publish the above mentioned information.

However, these days, with GDPR protocols and many players having image rights and contractual restrictions related to things like apparel contracts, I can imagine this is a minefield!

At the time of slade, I'm guessing there wasn't much of the above so I doubt he'll get much of of this!!

shmmeee

Going back a very long time, I've had my personal data published on a well known management game.
To get that, I'm pretty sure that SI (game publisher) must have had an agreement with the FA - where contracts with this info on were registered.

Playing stats, as someone has already said, we're at that stage sourced to local volunteers.

However, these days, with GDPR protocols and many players having image rights and contractual restrictions related to things like apparel contracts, I can imagine this is a minefield!

At the time of slade, I'm guessing there wasn't much of the above so I doubt he'll get much of of this!!

I don’t think so. I think as it all happens in public there’s limited damages to the data subjects rights and it’s a legitimate interest for the company to undertake its business. GDPR isn’t anything like as tight as some think it is.

The fact it’s volunteer collected is neither there not there, the data processor is the company.

Philosorapter

I've got my work on a games database that stretches back over 200 years which game publishers use. A different game but something I am actually quite proud about. Brighton Sky Blue probably does as well.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Users who are viewing this thread