Sky Blue youth superstars who never made it... (1 Viewer)

Winny the Bish

I thought Ivor Lawton was going to be a solid player for us. He's basically Jordan Shipley but with a bad knee injury.

Grendel

This thread didn’t age well.

I think the highest valuation we got to was £25 million on here

Bigi off to Newcastle

larry_david

Ben mackey?

I remember on champo 2002 I think we had two Italians who turned out to be quality.

Avun jephcott? Lee hildreth played a game for us didn't he? Anyone remember Curtis wynter?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I thought Ivor Lawton was going to be a solid player for us. He's basically Jordan Shipley but with a bad knee injury.

The injury did massively set him back. Not a technically gifted player but a player who leads by example in terms of effort. A good midfield disruptor - I thought he was going to take on the Mickey Doyle mantle.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

As we're talking about those that never made it, are we all in agreement that Callum Wilson is the one who's exceeded expectation the most? PL regular, England cap and all after two massive knee injuries. I felt he wouldn't be great shakes and wasn't sure he'd even get taken on from the academy and it was more due to his effort in the youth ranks rather than his ability.

Winny the Bish

The injury did massively set him back. Not a technically gifted player but a player who leads by example in terms of effort. A good midfield disruptor - I thought he was going to take on the Mickey Doyle mantle.
Mowbray hyped him up to the heavens, calling him a warrior and all that. Then never gave him a chance.

RedSalmon

Does Lee Hurst count?

What a waste of talent that was in the most unfortunate way!
That whole episode still pisses me off to this day.

What the fucking hell was Bobby Gould thinking taking them to an army training camp and getting them to jump over walls. Just amazed that the people who run the club allowed it to happen as well. Fucking inept does not do it justice!!!

Stafford_SkBlue

Back in the Jimmy Hill years, CCFC also had a great youth team.
In both 1967-68 and 1969-70, we were the losing finalists in the FA Youth Cup.
My father drooled over several youth players we had back then and swore they would be superstars some day, but as far as I know most never made it very big.
The 1967-68 team included Graham Paddon and Trevor Gould (Bobby's younger brother)
The 1969-70 team included Dennis Mortimer and Alan Green (a striker who went on to have a great career in the USA)
When you look at the youth teams back then it strikes you that virtualy 100% of the players were English or Scottish.
Here's where to find the teams for every FA Youth Cup Final:
FA Youth Cup Finals - Wikipedia
Willie Carr was also a youth team player in the 67/68 season but first team duties (first of many relegation battles) meant he did not play in the final against Burnley.
Willie probably one of our best Youth graduates?

Users who are viewing this thread