Sky Blue feature article NEED YOUR HELP (1 Viewer)

ScottChegg

Hi everyone,

I write for FourFourTwo and Shoot writing features and articles etc on a freelance basis. and as a Cov fan I often get to write about the City. On this occasion I've been asked to write a piece on life outside the Premiership and our fall from grace... Highs, lows, feelings following our relegation in 2001.
Now, before I get accused of any lazy journalism I've done my research and have a good idea of what I'm doing. However, to ensure I don't miss anything and give a leveled perspective I wanted to know what you guys think?

Anything you have would be welcomed, although try and think outside of the box as I would have the obvious choices... anyway, fire away!

Cheers

CovMatt1987

An aspect of it I have often considered is, how much does it matter which league you are in? I appriciate I may get shot down for saying this - and of course I would be delighted to see us back in the Premier League. But more from a perspective of how we could bragabout the club a bit more, and obviously if we are in the Premiership the club is alot more secure, which is the most important thing.

I dont know about anyone else but for me this has been one of the most enjoyable seasons Ive had as a Coventry fan. Im 29 and have supported us since 6, so have seen the premiership, championship, and now League One. to me - it doesnt matter what league we are in, I felt as much joy at games like Preston in the JPT or MK Dons away then pretty much any others I can remember. Ive enjoyed going to some really dodgy grounds this year, Ive enjoyed going away and feeling like a big team again, and also feeling like home or away realistically we could win the game.

Dont know if its the kind of thing you are looking for but for me its funny how the lowest depth weve reached in my time as a cov fan, has produced alot of my highest moments. Id find an article like that, compared to say 'wasnt it great when we beat Liverpool at Anfield. wasnt it rubbish when we lost at Villa to go down' alot more interesting (but maybe im just weird).

Steve.B50

What a great job.
Personally I have enjoyed being in Div 1, been to grounds I have never seen and especially the later part of the season when we have won more than we loose.
To me is great when we win, I like our away days and find that by the following days my disappointment has gone after a loss. I enjoy the whole experience of a football day, probably because I was brought up in the WOrld of Rugby that winning is great but being present or part of the day can be just as much fun. The banter, the laughs and always feels good being a big fish in a small pond.
At the end of last season I did feel low but then thought of new places to visit and also what else would we do on a Saturday afternoon, to me I will follow the City at any level till the day I leave this World.

SBS

An aspect of it I have often considered is, how much does it matter which league you are in? I appriciate I may get shot down for saying this - and of course I would be delighted to see us back in the Premier League. But more from a perspective of how we could bragabout the club a bit more, and obviously if we are in the Premiership the club is alot more secure, which is the most important thing.

I dont know about anyone else but for me this has been one of the most enjoyable seasons Ive had as a Coventry fan. Im 29 and have supported us since 6, so have seen the premiership, championship, and now League One. to me - it doesnt matter what league we are in, I felt as much joy at games like Preston in the JPT or MK Dons away then pretty much any others I can remember. Ive enjoyed going to some really dodgy grounds this year, Ive enjoyed going away and feeling like a big team again, and also feeling like home or away realistically we could win the game.

Dont know if its the kind of thing you are looking for but for me its funny how the lowest depth weve reached in my time as a cov fan, has produced alot of my highest moments. Id find an article like that, compared to say 'wasnt it great when we beat Liverpool at Anfield. wasnt it rubbish when we lost at Villa to go down' alot more interesting (but maybe im just weird).

I posted something similar a while ago. I like going to the old grounds like Oldham, Stevenage etc. All the Championship teams and ourselves included, have exactly the same stadiums and everyone is desperate to get to the PL.

The fans at this level are a lot more level headed and it feels like when we're playing away, the home fans up their game. In the Championship, we're just another Hull, Brighton or Derby. I want promotion, but I'm enjoying the shitholes and terraces that we're playing in.

Steve.B50

Well put CovMatt1987
I would agree with you and not going to shoot you down as I agree.
Not since 1987 (except for the odd day) have I enjoyed so much football and days away.

covcity4life

being in league one is appeling because we are winning

but whats point of supporting a club if you dont strive to succeed? the real excitement is in the prem and having great players

thats where i want to get back to ASAP

shmmeee

being in league one is appeling because we are winning

but whats point of supporting a club if you dont strive to succeed? the real excitement is in the prem and having great players

thats where i want to get back to ASAP

Not me. Overpaid players bleeding the club dry. Aspiring to that is what nearly destroyed this club.

The only thing I'd enjoy about a higher division would be better atmospheres.

covcity4life

Not me. Overpaid players bleeding the club dry. Aspiring to that is what nearly destroyed this club.

you can romanticise it how you want but id prefer playing big teams,being mentioned n tv and radio more and having other fans know we exist rather than plying our trade in division 3

4th from bottom in the prem>winning any lower division

dont get me wrong it will be nice to do it along the way but if we got abck to prem would you really give it up to win games vs wallsall and hartlepool?

also being in prem means we get to use that football first thingy on sky! so jealous of that

ScottChegg

Really good to see a bit of realism. I think we've had our fair share of frustration over the last few years but all in all we depend on the results that make or break our weekend. Morale is high at the moment and pressure seems to have been lifted which to me makes a massive difference. I've still got a list of lows as long as my arm, but still life in league one isn't all that bad....

LastGarrison

That's a very cynical view.

Most professional players are overpaid in my eyes but it stands to reason that the higher level you play the more you get paid and as a player, or a players agent, you are obviously going to try and get paid as much as possible.

Mismanagement is what nearly destroyed our club and if the club are willing to pay these wages then you can hardly blame the player.

CovMatt1987

I cant speak for everyone but I will certainly admit id much rather be in the Premiership overall without question. but theres a certain level of enjoyment we can take out of this season that as a Cov fan (certainly of my age range) we arent use to. Premiership would be better but also more stressful, losing more often then not, worrying about getting relegated, etc.....

Im impressed with our fans this season. we havent moaned or sulked particularly about going down to the third tier - weve enjoyed it for what it is and taken the positives out of the season. I was worried that we might think we were too good for the league but it hasnt felt like that. I agree with Steve - I enjoy these stadiums alot more, for how poor they are, they have that character about them, that feel of football and also has Steve correctly put, they dont all feel the same. I also think theres better banter with fans at this level.

Another point though is I think season after season if we were to stay in this division, alot of that enjoyment would wear off. we would be use to the stadiums, it wouldnt be as new and different. also, with every year we stayed in League One we stand out less and less.

Premiership would be the ultimate goal but this season has definately been preferable to any of the seasons we had in the championship for me.

JWC

My thoughts exactly. This has been my favourite season for as long as I can remember. Of course I want the team I support to be a successful as possible but there are a number of reasons why I'm not particularly desperate to be in the premiership 'promised land'. We would need a multi-millionaire/billionaire to take us over in order for us to compete. For me that's not what football is about. Without a huge take over I think we'd become whipping boys, not something I'd like to like our team to become in any division. I can't remember a time when we've been on a run without a loss and it's made me happier than I can remember in all of my time supporting the city.

Secondly, ticket prices. I live outside of Coventry and I average 15-20 games home and away each season. At premier league prices I don't think I'd be able to afford to go to as many. For me, the football is a great excuse to come back to the city, go to games with family and friends and keep me connected to Coventry in general. Sure I'd go back if I wasn't going to games, but it in all honesty I would do it a lot less if I couldn't afford the match tickets.

It's also nice feeling like the big team for a change, not something I'm used to!

CovMatt1987

My thoughts exactly. This has been my favourite season for as long as I can remember. Of course I want the team I support to be a successful as possible but there are a number of reasons why I'm not particularly desperate to be in the premiership 'promised land'. We would need a multi-millionaire/billionaire to take us over in order for us to compete. For me that's not what football is about. Without a huge take over I think we'd become whipping boys, not something I'd like to like our team to become in any division. I can't remember a time when we've been on a run without a loss and it's made me happier than I can remember in all of my time supporting the city.

Secondly, ticket prices. I live outside of Coventry and I average 15-20 games home and away each season. At premier league prices I don't think I'd be able to afford to go to as many. For me, the football is a great excuse to come back to the city, go to games with family and friends and keep me connected to Coventry in general. Sure I'd go back if I wasn't going to games, but it in all honesty I would do it a lot less if I couldn't afford the match tickets.

It's also nice feeling like the big team for a change, not something I'm used to!

I often think to myself when theres a bit of banter with my Man United 'supporting' friends when they win another league or cup or something, I watch their reaction to winning the FA Cup and I think 'you know what - beating Leyton Orient away 1-0 meant more to me then winning the FA Cup did to you' so its all relative to how much you enjoy it.

BTW - great effort on averaging 15-20 games from outside of the city mate :claping hands:and I get your point on ticket prices as well.

Users who are viewing this thread